Used for non-experienced GT350 2016

Discussion in 'Shelby GT350 Mustang' started by Tom4, Feb 18, 2020.

1. 16Kobra

16Kobra Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 GT350R
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    As stated above, I had a Tech Pack car and had added the transmission cooler.

Before adding the cooler, I tracked the car. I learned (by suggestion of my instructor) to shift at 6K (like the mustang GT's) were doing. While I shifted at 6K, no limp mode happened. As soon as I started pushing for the 8250, the transmission would heat up and hit limp mode.

Granted, the car was designed for 8250, but until I installed the transmission cooler, it was a good way to track (6K shifts).

Just my 0.02 cents.

2. Hack

Hack Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Mustang, Fiesta
    0   0   0
    If it's a tech pack car with no coolers, it probably was only street driven. If you aren't planning to track the car, that could be thought of as an advantage. On the street people aren't going to be able to beat on the car like on track.

I owned a tech pack car and it was awesome for daily driving. My only issues were on track, so I added coolers to mine. I think adding the coolers is a bigger deal than people are making it out to be in this thread, though. My advice is that if you are concerned about expenses and you think you might consider tracking at some time in the future - wait for a 2017+ with the coolers.

3. Caballus

Caballus Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    GT350
    0   0   0
    #33 Caballus, Feb 19, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    If you want a few more options, recommend looking in Germany, especially near Wiesbaden and Kaiserslautern. Because there is such a large American footprint there (exempt from German taxes and homologation requirements) you have a chance of finding what you want. Also, scout24 normally has a few, which can be from Germans or Americans

https://www.autoscout24.de/lst/ford/mustang?sort=standard&desc=0&ustate=N,U&cy=D&version0=gt350&atype=C

Next best places are Belgium and Luxembourg. I don't know if he still has any, but Anthony at Mustang and Co outside of Brussels had two 2017s for sale https://mustangandco.com/nos-voitures/?annee=2017

Tank likes this.
  4. Tomster

Tomster Beware of idiots

First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle(s):
    2 - '17 and 1 - '18 GT350 R's
    0   0   0
    Oh, that explains your times, lol

5. 16Kobra

16Kobra Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 GT350R
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0

:frown::frown::frown:

:giggle::giggle::giggle:

That...and I have not mastered the skill you have...getting better each time out... :turkey::turkey::tumbleweed::tumbleweed::tumbleweed:

6. Tomster

Tomster Beware of idiots

First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle(s):
    2 - '17 and 1 - '18 GT350 R's
    0   0   0
    LOL, you have an R now.

7. Tank

Tank 9/11 - Never Forget

First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle(s):
    G0853 Never Forget
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the tag @Tomster .

@Tom4 , as others have said, if you’re going to track it, you’ll need to install a transmission oil cooler. But you’ll need to keep an eye on your transmission temps if you’re just driving it on the streets. The Tech was shipped with transmission temp display turned off from the factory but there’s a way to turn. (See the Forscan sticky).

Conditions that’ll make the trans temp spike include stop and go traffic on hot days, prolonged aggressive driving.

In any case, I’d recommend changing trans and diff fluids at least annually.

Good luck.

8. Ericc B

Ericc B Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 GT Fastback
    0   0   0
    There's a guy here in NL who bought a brand new 2016 without the track pack and he kept getting into limp mode on the Autobahn. He otherwise loved the car but got rid of it just because of this.

key01 likes this.