Sponsored

Used for non-experienced GT350 2016

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Interesting. Removing the fuel rail pressure sensor doesn't require removing the fuel rail, and removing the fuel rail doesn't require removing the valve covers. There must have been more that was needed that wasn't on the work order. That said, there's no reason to believe that the engine has a problem - if it's working, it's working.
upload_2020-2-18_8-46-15.png
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
No major engine issues. Keep in mind the car has 10,000 miles of who knows how it was driven. The oasis does not reflect any major issues, and as far as he could see, it was not a buyback.

I'd have to see the car. I can't give you an impression based upon a brief description. My biggest thought is the mileage. This is a track pack, right? Not a tech pack?

Don't worry about the beer.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Interesting. Removing the fuel rail pressure sensor doesn't require removing the fuel rail, and removing the fuel rail doesn't require removing the valve covers. There must have been more that was needed that wasn't on the work order. That said, there's no reason to believe that the engine has a problem - if it's working, it's working.
upload_2020-2-18_8-46-15.png
Yes, my guy thought that was strange too. Who knows.

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

OP
OP

Tom4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tomas
Vehicle(s)
S550
Caballus: Car is located in Poland, arrived from Canada last year. Not homologized for EU yet.

Tomster: Actually it is Tech Pack 1 and with out Track pack... Does it really mater? pls see below

Technology Package includes content of Electronics Package; plus MagneRide Damping System; Integrated Driver Control System (IDC); Ebony leather-trimmed seats with Miko sueded cloth inserts; and 6-way power, heated and cooled front seats (n/a with 920A or Track Package)

Track Package includes MagneRide Damping System; Integrated Driver Control System (IDC); heavy-duty front springs; engine oil, transmission, and differential coolers; raised rear spoiler; and aluminum strut tower brace (n/a with 920A or Technology Package

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Reactions: TDC

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Caballus: Car is located in Poland, arrived from Canada last year. Not homologized for EU yet.

Tomster: Actually it is Tech Pack 1 and with out Track pack... Does it really mater? pls see below

Technology Package includes content of Electronics Package; plus MagneRide Damping System; Integrated Driver Control System (IDC); Ebony leather-trimmed seats with Miko sueded cloth inserts; and 6-way power, heated and cooled front seats (n/a with 920A or Track Package)

Track Package includes MagneRide Damping System; Integrated Driver Control System (IDC); heavy-duty front springs; engine oil, transmission, and differential coolers; raised rear spoiler; and aluminum strut tower brace (n/a with 920A or Technology Package
You won't have the transmission and differential coolers. I wouldn't buy one. The transmission can overheat on the street and cause limp mode. If you drive it like a grandma, then you probably won't have a problem.

I wouldn't buy it.

Lurker_350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Tech
Just to provide a different view point than already received:

I really don't think you will have transmission overheating issues (limp mode) with a tech pack on the street. The documented cases of limp mode on the street that I have seen on this forum since joining seem to be correlated with other issues with the cars. I have seen as high as 230 F transmission temperature on my tech car in south Texas in August on the street with 20 minutes of spirited driving. Once back to a legal pace, it cools to 200 F pretty quick.

I'm obviously not staying at 6k+ rpm for the 20 minute spirited driving duration like you could on a track. Seems like lower input shaft speeds (lower rpm) don't heat the transmission fluid as quickly as high input shaft speeds. I change the trans and diff fluid every 15k miles as a precaution (and once after the first 1k as an OCD measure).

On a track, you will reach limp mode fairly easily.

It really comes down to what your purpose for the car is. You will have relatively easy access to high-speed roadways (e.g., autobahn) and tracks. Will you frequently be driving at high rpm and on the track? Will you worry that you bought the "wrong" one and should have waited for one with coolers on the diff and transmission?

I am personally pretty happy with my tech car. I wish I had the option to spec the car with coolers when I ordered it in 2016, but that wasn't available. The lack of coolers hasn't really negatively affected me (except perceived value by others - but that is of no consequence to me at the moment).

When I looked at upgrading in late 2016/early 2017, the coolers weren't worth the $10k delta between a used 2016 tech pack and a new 2017. You could have done a trans cooler setup for as little as $1500 with aftermarket stuff, or as much as ~$4k with a new transmission and all oem parts. The biggest pain is that I don't believe anyone has successfully implemented the oem diff cooler, so that requires aftermarket pieces (another $1k or so).

In an ideal world, you would be able to get a gt350 with trans and diff coolers, but the lack of those doesn't ruin the experience on the street for me.

Edit - spelling

milner_7

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.highdefinitionautodetail.ca
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Tech car as well, I've added the OEM track pack spoiler, OEM FP tranny cooler and have had zero issues at the track. On the street you will have no troubles with either. That whole issue was blown way out of proportion IMO. I will be also adding the OEM diff cooler which is available from Ford Performance in a full kit just as all 17 and on cars were built with. Any version from 15 and on are a great choice street or track with the right tweaks

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I'm glad all the folks with tech packs are chiming in with their own experiences and advice.

It is only my opinion that I would not purchase a tech pack. As stated, many have had no issues with them. One of the most well known tech pack users is a member here. @Tank

Your advice would be helpful as well.

Johnnydarkgt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350R, 91f150,Lexus GX460 , 1965 Mercury comet cyclone 4speed
Vehicle Showcase
I'm glad all the folks with tech packs are chiming in with their own experiences and advice.

It is only my opinion that I would not purchase a tech pack. As stated, many have had no issues with them. One of the most well known tech pack users is a member here. @Tank

Your advice would be helpful as well.
Dear friends,

firstly I am European guy interested to buy used GT350 y2016 with approximately 10 000miles.
I read and saw a few videos about issues with the engine, cooler and oil consumption.

Please, if I have VIN number of the car, is there any way to check if the engine in the car I am interested to buy was the wrong one?

Also, what do you think, is the car so problematic? Or what I should consider before buying used one?

Many thanks for your advice and help.

Sincerely Tomas

Johnnydarkgt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350R, 91f150,Lexus GX460 , 1965 Mercury comet cyclone 4speed
Vehicle Showcase
Overunautomotive.com Has a great article on GT 350 engine failures after checking 19 sources found that zero problems with the 2015’s and only six known with the 2016’s ! more have happened to 17/18’s ! the percentages are so low that it’s more of an Internet blown up thing then a reality! “The total number of catastrophic engine failures we found reported on the internet is 114 or .6% of GT350s based on the current total production number of 17,541 ” ! My buddy that owns a race team suggested keeping the flat plane voodoos over 2000 rpm when driving!! Enjoy a “16” ! Built well ! After being with Ford dealers for 20 years I’ve learned that Ford is guilty of letting the “ bean counters “sometimes sell them on how to cut costs after the original is designed by the under 35 year olds that had an open checkbook to design and build or suppliers cutting costs possibly! I’m sure this reply will get some responses! I’m confident that Ford is building their finest overall qualities into the Mustang line! I was part of the dealer principle meeting with Ford in 1989 about scuttling the mustang for the Probe ! I was very unsettling in my response to keep the Mustang in meeting “ raised eyebrows and “. Lol if you’re driving a mustang now ?? You’re welcome!!

5.2 VooDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Comp. Orange GT 350 - Born March 3rd - Arrrived March 14th
So...regarding the transmission temps, ever since I've activated the factory temp gauge I have never even come close to the high mark on the gauge. In fact, rarely do I make the 1/2 way point. I will say I've never tracked the car like I did @ Track Attack, but all the same...spirited driving, slow traffic and humid temperatures haven't caused me concern the least.

OP
OP

Tom4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tomas
Vehicle(s)
S550
Honestly I am very happy that I created this article because of amazing reviews and tips from you guys. You helped me so much and also the discussion here brings me so many information regarding the GT350.

Actually I have no other option regarding the Track or Tech pack. There are no so many offers with the combination of this version. I am not driving every day, nor short distances in downtown. I am not typical city driver, but I am considering this car as my ONLY and DAILY one. So because of this I believe I will not get to trouble regarding the missing transmission coolers.

Other side of the coin is that I was really scared about the engine issues which are reported “all” over the internet. https://overrunautomotive.com/articles/gt350-engine-failure-by-the-numbers/ -> helps me little bit.

As you can imagine, in EU with this type of car, we have limited service options so I have to be careful.
Sponsored