Sponsored

used engine oil + winter storage why is it a bad idea ?

OP
OP
WildHorse

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I wait until June every year to get mine back on the road because that’s usually when they’ve finally swept up all the crap on the roads from winter. I’m going to check this time how much oil was burned as well. Forgot to do it last time. Curious because in the past I noticed occasional puffs of blue smoke on start up. I don’t bother putting fresh oil in before storage because typically I only put 500-800 km’s on the car each summer so it’s basically fresh anyway.
Funny how the OLM in the Mustang doesn’t tell you that you need an oil change after 12 months but in my Explorer it tells me every 6 months. I’m changing it in my Explorer toady and I’ve only put 2200 km’s on since last change.
Haha reason for May here is cause we usually get wicked rain storms before May long, which does a way better job of cleaning the streets than the city.

Outta curiosity though I looked at the manufacturer date on the oil, it was May 2020. So that oil is 7 months old before it hit the crankcase haha.

For the OLM on the Mustang, it takes everything into account, idle time, oil temps, mileage then calculates what % of life is left. At least, that's my understanding of it.
Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase

BMAGOO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS, 2016 Explorer Sport, 2015 Ram 1500 Sport, 1968 Firebird
Vehicle Showcase
-I have three other vehicles. One of which is my work truck and it’s my daily because it has all my tools.
-It’s mostly just a toy. It only sees nice weather days and when I do drive it, it’s from June to September.
-Mainly though, it’s a time thing. Between work and family there isn’t hours in the day.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
-I have three other vehicles. One of which is my work truck and it’s my daily because it has all my tools.
-It’s mostly just a toy. It only sees nice weather days and when I do drive it, it’s from June to September.
-Mainly though, it’s a time thing. Between work and family there isn’t hours in the day.
That's fair at least it seam so cruel to the car I drive my between March and November and I do like 12 000 km on it.
Sponsored