Sponsored

Used 2016 GT350, yay or nay?

Spacebird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
For context, dealers are offering me $42K-$45K for my 8K mile 2016 R on trade (I’ve been flirting with getting a Lotus Evora).
Sponsored

526 HRSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I don't believe you can extend Ford's warranty past the three year mark. I looked into it when i bought my used 17 and it wouldn't let me do it. (Somebody may correct me, though) I ended up going 3rd party for 8 years. I don't remember exactly but i think i paid $2k.

526 HRSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
For context, dealers are offering me $42K-$45K for my 8K mile 2016 R on trade (I’ve been flirting with getting a Lotus Evora).
Why not work with OP and see about him buying your R? I think he has to go 3rd party anyways for his warranty.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
the warranty should only cost about $1300. Get a quote from any of the several on-line dealers who specialize in that.

Spacebird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
Why not work with OP and see about him buying your R? I think he has to go 3rd party anyways for his warranty.
Hey OP et al., I’ve just yesterday decided to not sell my R, but I vacillate on that decision daily. Who knows what I’ll be thinking tomorrow...

FWIW, my 2016 R has 8K miles and an extended warranty until 6/29/2023 or 36K miles, whichever comes first. I’ve got UOA for all 5 oil changes, it’s completely covered in XPEL PPF, it has Maximum Motorsports camber plates and it’s got an MGW shifter. I’ve beat the ever-living shit out of it at MSR Houston, COTA, and Utah Motorsports Campus - and I can prove that the engine is still in superb condition thanks to UOAs. I was also anal retentive about break-in and ensuring that the engine was in constant compression or vacuum for the first 1000 miles. It’s got Porsche-spec SC2s with 1 track day and ~1K on them. Because they’re Porsche-spec, they look less worn than brand new Ford-spec SC2s (more tread, slightly different compound). I had the wheels off today to really scrub the barrels and inspect the wheels. They’re 98% perfect, with two TINY rock chips (my plan is to fill them with clear coat at which point they’ll be invisible). I’d never see them if I hadn’t been polishing the wheels with Griots Machine Polish 3 and had my face 12” from the wheels to looks for swirls.

I’ve done 100% of the maintenance myself, save for a transmission and rear flush done by a local Ford master tech. I’m a former NASA-trained mechanical engineer and frankly I trust my skills over the techs that fail to torque oil filters to spec and fill GT350s with 5W-20... ugh.

But like I said... it’s not for sale :p

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
For the lousy price of the car you're looking at go buy this instead. It's down the street from me. Headed over to take a gander at it.
https://www.autobuyingservice.com/u...Shelby-GT350-fairfax-virginia-22031/vd/263707
so @PiZauL I talked to the owner of the car for 15 minutes by phone. He's had it for 5 months and bought it in Maryland. He's a car aficionado/collector (Demon, ZL1/1LE, Viper, etc) and is selling the Shelby on consignment to finance a GT500 purchase or at the very least vacate a garage spot for the future arrival. The 'accident' wasn't anything of the sort. The previous owner cracked the lower splitter and made an insurance claim because the part isn't exactly cheap.

He wants to offload the car by end of Sep. I have the Carfax.
12/5/17 initial sale
9/18/19 splitter claim
10/14/19 sold at auction to dealer inventory (5400 miles)
----
1/22/20 current owner purchase (5700 miles)
7/21/20 consignment (8810 miles)

The PPF wasn't done by a tier-1 installer. I'm thinking a home-body or a vinyl/tint guy did it. I test drove it around the very small parking lot which was more a waste of time more than anything but it seemed OK. They'll let you take it out on the road once you're all but ready to sign the purchase papers.

Also, I thought GT350 calipers were a proper red, like the BIllitt calipers. These have been painted a metallic gloss ruby. I didn't think to broach that but I'm guessing the 1st owner being from Florida thought they'd give it some Florida-man bling.

Last edited:

Tom14ct14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Just so you're not hijacking his thread, i'll ask. What are you selling yours for? Link?
I didn't post ad or price because it is above the OP price. I have it listed at $52k not trying too hard to sell. You can PM if interest in more details but trying to not hijack his thread.

Tom14ct14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
The OP doesn't want to track and wants all the tech pack including seats. So R would not work for him.

Spacebird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
The OP doesn't want to track and wants all the tech pack including seats. So R would not work for him.
My R has Ford Performance rear seats* and the tech package (and the original rear seat delete, of course).

* Ford Performance sold fewer that 20 of these best I can tell. They’re impossible to find.

Sponsored
OP
OP
PiZauL

PiZauL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 2013 Prius
The car seems like it still has the 5yr/60k powertrain warranty left. What is in the base care that's not covered by the powertrain? It starts from the date of original purchase, not when you purchase it, so either way it all ends in 2021 or earlier.
You'll want the 8yr which will give you 3-4 years depending on when that 2016 was originally purchased.
I did check that, it has powertrain left until 3/21. Basecare covers 84 components (info here), I think I may extend it to 8 years.

How does one “throw in” a warranty when it costs $2.377.00? I’m scratching my head on that one.
Hah, wrong choice of words. They are offering it*

I don't believe you can extend Ford's warranty past the three year mark. I looked into it when i bought my used 17 and it wouldn't let me do it. (Somebody may correct me, though) I ended up going 3rd party for 8 years. I don't remember exactly but i think i paid $2k.
They can add the warranty using the "used car" pricing, which is a bit more. I may explore third party as well. Who did you end up going with? I would have loved to use the geico mechanical break down warranty as that is the cheapest from my research, but that pretty much only applies to cars under 15 months old (I believe).

the warranty should only cost about $1300. Get a quote from any of the several on-line dealers who specialize in that.
Hmm, I think that may be for newer car pricing. The manager sent me that specific chart as it doesn't appear to be on the ford esp site, you plug your year and model in and for the 2016's it tells you to contact your local ford dealer for pricing.

so @PiZauL I talked to the owner of the car for 15 minutes by phone. He's had it for 5 months and bought it in Maryland. He's a car aficionado/collector (Demon, ZL1/1LE, Viper, etc) and is selling the Shelby on consignment to finance a GT500 purchase or at the very least vacate a garage spot for the future arrival. The 'accident' wasn't anything of the sort. The previous owner cracked the lower splitter and made an insurance claim because the part isn't exactly cheap.

He wants to offload the car by end of Sep. I have the Carfax.
12/5/17 initial sale
9/18/19 splitter claim
10/14/19 sold at auction to dealer inventory (5400 miles)
----
1/22/20 current owner purchase (5700 miles)
7/21/20 consignment (8810 miles)

The PPF wasn't done by a tier-1 installer. I'm thinking a home-body or a vinyl/tint guy did it. I test drove it around the very small parking lot which was more a waste of time more than anything but it seemed OK. They'll let you take it out on the road once you're all but ready to sign the purchase papers.

Also, I thought GT350 calipers were a proper red, like the BIllitt calipers. These have been painted a metallic gloss ruby. I didn't think to broach that but I'm guessing the 1st owner being from Florida thought they'd give it some Florida-man bling.
Nice, thank you for those details! I'm starting to think to just shift my focus on a 2017-2018 and potentially buy from a member here if I can sell my car privately (or figure out a way to keep both which would be my preference, lol). As for now when speaking out the door pricing that would be a bit more than I want to spend as of now. I did find one at a local dealer that I will test drive tomorrow.

Man, that's hawt. Year and price is right, gonna explore this a bit more. I can overlook it not having the standard seats. But man having cooled seats would be nice when you start sweating from all that excitement driving these things and hearing that exhaust note.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
When did you get the quotes? Prices have really shot up over the last 6 weeks or so. Also try KBB. They will offer you cash offers, and usually are pretty close to the KBB estimate. Also Carmax if you have one nearby. I have heard people getting $48-50K for used 17-18’s there recently but non R version.

526 HRSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I have Endurance for my warranty. I don't know if they are any good. Hopefully i'll never find out.