Sponsored

Used 2016 GT with 106K Miles - is this a Bad Idea?

SEAICE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BW
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
The mileage would not be a concern to me if you can discern it was highway mileage. If you can't determine that by Carfax, then the best indicator is the interior. Constant getting into and out of a car for short trips wears out the seat bolsters and other parts quickly. Anyway, try using Auto Trader and broad search parameters, and perhaps not looking specifically for a PP1-spec or Shaker Pro audio (not so great IMO). The potential cost savings for another GT might leave ou some $$ for upgrades. Found this in Cali: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...eCode1=FORD&modelCode1=MUST&clickType=listing
Sponsored

OP
OP

NewAmerican

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
None!
@NewAmerican, have you made up your mind to keep it, or look for something different?
Thanks for the tips!
I'm still on the fence about it.

I've got to drop the car back at Carmax this morning since my 24 hour test period will be up, I'm thinking of telling them if they can fix all the issues (and most importantly tell me what the engine light is signalling) and drop the price I will take it for another test and consider it.

Meantime I'm going to keep looking.

OP
OP

NewAmerican

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
None!
The mileage would not be a concern to me if you can discern it was highway mileage. If you can't determine that by Carfax, then the best indicator is the interior. Constant getting into and out of a car for short trips wears out the seat bolsters and other parts quickly. Anyway, try using Auto Trader and broad search parameters, and perhaps not looking specifically for a PP1-spec or Shaker Pro audio (not so great IMO). The potential cost savings for another GT might leave ou some $$ for upgrades. Found this in Cali: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=584440286&zip=94203&referrer=/cars-for-sale/searchresults.xhtml?zip=94203&city=Sacramento&extColorsSimple=CHARCOAL%2CGRAY&startYear=2015&incremental=all&modelCodeList=MUST&makeCodeList=FORD&transmissionCodes=MAN&listingTypes=USED&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&location=%5Bobject+Object%5D&state=CA&engineCodes=8CLDR&firstRecord=0&marketExtension=include&relevanceConfig=default&searchRadius=500&isNewSearch=false&listingTypes=USED&startYear=2015&numRecords=25&firstRecord=0&modelCodeList=MUST&makeCodeList=FORD&searchRadius=500&makeCode1=FORD&modelCode1=MUST&clickType=listing
The seat bolsters are actually OK and the carfax indicates service every 7000 miles which fell regularly 3 or 4 times a year, so I think that indicates highway commuting. Not sure what's happened with the plastic parts on this one, maybe they just didn't like being in the Southern California sun.

My thinking with the Shaker Pro is that at least the wiring and DSP for a sub is in so it would be a simple speaker/amp upgrade as opposed to having to mess about running wires etc... I could do that if need be though.

Thanks for the link - looks like the particular one you linked is already gone... but I could probably stop being so picky, maybe I should consider an automatic ecoboost instead, there are lots more of those! :)

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 6 spd
I got my brand new 2019 GT Premium 6 speed for $34K, discounted from $41.5K sticker. Keep looking.

Sponsored

EmCel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Em
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
"I guess I could keep it for 30 days and use it to get around to look at other cars..."

*** Drive it for a while, get it inspected, go on dates with it, etc
definitely have it looked at.
The seat bolsters are actually OK and the carfax indicates service every 7000 miles which fell regularly 3 or 4 times a year, so I think that indicates highway commuting. Not sure what's happened with the plastic parts on this one, maybe they just didn't like being in the Southern California sun.

My thinking with the Shaker Pro is that at least the wiring and DSP for a sub is in so it would be a simple speaker/amp upgrade as opposed to having to mess about running wires etc... I could do that if need be though.

Thanks for the link - looks like the particular one you linked is already gone... but I could probably stop being so picky, maybe I should consider an automatic ecoboost instead, there are lots more of those! :)
EB is nice too and cheaper. You can always get a gt when the prices drop down.

Last edited:

BTDUBS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I got my brand new 2019 GT Premium 6 speed for $34K, discounted from $41.5K sticker. Keep looking.
Agreed, I got my 2020 GT 6 speed 301a with safe and smart for $34k earlier this year. You can get deals on base GTs if you are patient. I would rather have a base GT than a GT Premium with 100k miles. That and I got the Gen 3 Coyote.

Advantage is that it is a blank canvas from which to mod or take it to Shelby.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Good to know they stand by the warranty.

I finally got a call that the car was at my local CarMax today so went and got it for a 24hr test drive.

I have a few concerns.

Firstly and most worryingly the “check engine” light came on and stayed on after driving for a bit.

Secondly there is an annoying metallic rattle from underneath, probably something loose in or around the exhaust somewhere I’m guessing.

Thirdly there is a fair bit of “clunking” going on. As I’m not familiar with mustangs I’m not sure how much is normal and how much is not... assorted bushings wearing out maybe?

Apple CarPlay doesn’t work, it’s definitely sync3 though, I think it just needs the USB hub upgrading, not a major.

Also the interior is looking pretty tired, a lot of the “chrome” plastic is worn away or peeling and the air from the aircon smells bad!
And the handbrake doesn’t sit down too well so keeps popping up slightly and causing the “brake” light.

So... I have to take it back in the morning and am not sure whether to ask CarMax to address the issues and consider it or just write it off and move on.

The other annoyance is that they do not allow an independent pre purchase inspection. There is a 30 day no questions refund period, so I could buy it, get it inspected and return it if it doesn’t pass.... seems like a bit of a hassle though and there is no way I’m committing to this without a professional inspection!

I guess I could keep it for 30 days and use it to get around to look at other cars...
Frankly, that doesn't sound like any car I've ever seen on a Carmax lot much less one I've driven or bought.
Perhaps they haven't had a chance to run it through their detail/repair shop yet? Perhaps they are so desperate for inventory and have lowered their standards? I hope not but I suppose it's possible. I wouldn't have thought that some of the reputable national rental car companies would rent some of the junkers that they currently are either.
If this car is still of interest to you after driving it for a day then I'd definitely want it to be inspected. If you plan to go the 30 day route I'd be very sure I knew all the rules and restrictions and follow then scrupulously.
Good luck with your decision.

SEAICE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BW
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
From what you’re describing, I’d pass on that one and be patient. Also look farther afield, and stick with a GT.
Sponsored