Sponsored

Used 2015 GT + upgrades or new 2016 GT? Will newbie burn out the clutch on manual t ?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 2011 335d grey silver (stock)
Hi all,

I'm bit new to American cars world and was looking for a new Mustang and there are not to many 2015 GTs around.
One guy is selling his fancy premium GT 2015 with low mileage and with some upgrades and it looks like I would only need to put cloth racing seats for now and the price seems to be close to right one.
At the same time I wanted to get non premium 2016 GT, put suspension upgrade including lowering springs, some wide 19 rims, new exhaust .. and finally get ready for smoking tires !

So it seems like there's not much difference between 2015 and 16 and my question is that shall I get upgraded used car instead of new one?

When I talked to a bimmer dealer about burning clutch on M3 as I only drove manual around 8 years ago when I started driving outside of the US - he said smth like "it's not possible" .. but dealers talk shit as usual..

So I have a small doubt about burning out the clutch on the GT, maybe some upgrades :cool:?
Sponsored

ConspicuousConsumption

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP MT, Explorer ST
Why would you buy a premium and then put cloth uncomfortable racing seats in it? If you're trying to build a race car just get a base model.

You may burn the clutch but probably not. Just read some other threads on here. Lots lately.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I care about infotainment
"Will newbie burn out the clutch on manual?"

Maybe ... read this:
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33651

Actually, the 6-speed in the Mustang is pretty easy to drive. If you've driven stick before, even years ago, you shouldn't have any problem.
As long as he removed the clutch assist spring. It's very difficult to drive the S550 smoothly when that thing is still in; especially for someone new to manuals. I just pulled mine out two days ago and the difference is night and day. So much easier to shift smoothly, even though the peddle is now heavier.

L8APEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 Raptor
Buy the 2016 and get manual driving lessons.

Sponsored

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
V8 manuals are easy to learn, my first 2 cars were manual 4 bangers. Much easier to stall, but I learned more on those.

blk_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CO 2015 GT PP
I learned on my 2014 GT Premium (which I bought new) and didn't have a single issue when I traded it in with 33k miles on it. And that was with no prior experience with a manual...As long as you have a little sense and understand what you're doing (assume you do since u drove stick b4) I think you'd be just fine.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 2011 335d grey silver (stock)
Allready, thanks..
Btw is there any Mustang performance driving schools list with prices in this Forum or anywhere outside ?

jhenley17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 F-150
You don't need a performance driving school to learn to drive a manual, you just need practice and to not over think it. You'll learn what to do and what not to do and it will become second nature pretty quickly. I still have the truck I learned to drive on 12 years ago and the clutch is still just fine, even towing trailers and cars (the clutch master cylinder did take a dump, though.)

Sponsored

tevaburns

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tiberius
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP
this thread seems like a joke

Roush05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
As long as he removed the clutch assist spring. It's very difficult to drive the S550 smoothly when that thing is still in; especially for someone new to manuals. I just pulled mine out two days ago and the difference is night and day. So much easier to shift smoothly, even though the peddle is now heavier.
I have removed this spring as well and agree that it is much better. However, is there any chance that removing the spring could cause any early wear on anything? Or is that spring's sole function to "help" with the feel of the clutch?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I care about infotainment
I have removed this spring as well and agree that it is much better. However, is there any chance that removing the spring could cause any early wear on anything? Or is that spring's sole function to "help" with the feel of the clutch?
I had/have this concern as well so I browsed all the different threads about it before I removed it to make sure I was making the right decision. From what I gathered from those threads the spring is truly it's own mechanism and does not negatively impact other bits of the car. Don't quote me on that as I'm just basically paraphrasing other people paraphrasing other people.

But seriously, after 3 days of driving with the assist spring out, even if it caused premature wear somewhere I almost wouldn't care. The car is just 100x more enjoyable now. I don't feel like I'm driving on pins and needles trying to predict the optimal time to shift anymore. And I can confidently feather the clutch in low-speed/parking situations now.

Roush05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I had/have this concern as well so I browsed all the different threads about it before I removed it to make sure I was making the right decision. From what I gathered from those threads the spring is truly it's own mechanism and does not negatively impact other bits of the car. Don't quote me on that as I'm just basically paraphrasing other people paraphrasing other people.

But seriously, after 3 days of driving with the assist spring out, even if it caused premature wear somewhere I almost wouldn't care. The car is just 100x more enjoyable now. I don't feel like I'm driving on pins and needles trying to predict the optimal time to shift anymore. And I can confidently feather the clutch in low-speed/parking situations now.
That's good to know; I have only seen it mentioned once besides in this thread, and I didn't know what to search for to find more info on it.

I feel the same way about it for sure. The feel of the clutch was my one big gripe with the car, but removing the spring made it feel very similar to my 2005 GT, which was great. Like you said, you can feel the clutch engage and it's just so much better. By far the most cost-effective mod I've ever done :D
Sponsored