Sponsored

Use of "Anyways" in speech or text

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
I know I know we all have different hang ups and when I borough this up to some people before they immediately go to google cut and paste something that it was used once in 1856 as some blah blah blah blah... Point is. Man does it not sound like nails on a chalk board and unintelligent when people say it? I swear up until about maybe the beginning of the year I hardly heard it used and now its like its the cool thing to say, its everywhere.

Here is an example of what I mean

I never did understand numbers very well. Anyways , I’ve decided to move from financing into tech support.

OR

I never did understand numbers very well. Anyway , I’ve decided to move from financing into tech support.

See that S is so grating. it is non standard not correct and informal plus a anyway is an advert and cant be plural.

But anyway, LOL this is not my point to debate if its a word or not. My real concern is why has it now become so commonly used? It has almost replaced the proper form of the word. I can be reading a nice article in the paper and right smack in the middle is ANYWAYS ahhhhh,,,, its about as bad as people who say irregardless, it wasnt even a word. But now so many people say it, like anyways, its been added to the dictionary????? Why do we add non standard obviously wrong words to our language instead of getting people to speak properly?

Those two words among many, are considered nonstandard words now. A non standard word is defined by Webster as:

"When a word is nonstandard it means it is “not conforming in pronunciation, grammatical construction, idiom, or word choice to the usage generally characteristic of educated native speakers of a language.”

I guess my concern is, and the real point of my post (anyways was just an example), why do we not teach people properly the things they need to know instead of just accepting them and incorporating them into our society? Its like going backwards.

My next topic will be people who smoke telling me my energy drink is bad for my health LOL
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
My hang up is the use of yellow font on a white background :).
Yeah I have forum set in dark mode so..its yellow on dark background . But ill fix that. So your criticism does not apply LOL
Screenshot_9.jpg

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
No need. It's actually not a big deal anyways...
yeah I knew those would be the responses I would get LOL the old wayways ones.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
How about the way I use "anymore". I think it might be a south Jersey/Philly thing because my wife had never heard it used this way.

Examples:

I used to like that bar, but it's sucks anymore.

Because of the internet, this is how people talk anymore.
Na that isn't has harsh on the eyes or ears :)

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2020 GT350R, 2020 Explorer ST
Beverage, pop, libation, soda, Thirst Buster®, brew, Big Gulp®, refreshment, potation...

F18180EE-1FA7-46EC-98ED-1402DCA346BB.gif

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Beverage, pop, libation, soda, Thirst Buster®, brew, Big Gulp®, refreshment, potation...
All valid words and grammatically correct in context. Unlike anyways.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
I might be guilty of this one. I had a phase years ago saying "like" way too much but have since removed the habit. That is the one that gets me most. Anyway, I do actually like it much more without the s at the end so thank you for that.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
I always use the proper term: "anywho"!
LOL that I can deal with cause its obviously someone using a slang for fun. Ive done it myself.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
How about "my bad", a term children use when they shit their pants.

Another "texted"

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
It's an old/mid English usage, an adverb + S, some words using this construct were actually retained like unawares, and the British retained this form in toward (i.e., towards).

I find littering a post with LOL far more annoying ... :D

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
The worst offenders to me are "irregardless" and "I could care less".

People use irrregardless in place of regardless. Almost like they think it makes them sound smart, as if they are using a bigger, more impressive word. Just use "regardless". It's not the same as irresponsible and responsible, which are opposites.

And "I could care less" is probably the most common. It's simply a lazy way to say "I couldn't care less". IF you "could care less", then that means you care but yet people say it as if they don't care at all. Yep, annoying.

Also, many people use "a couple of" incorrectly. Many people will say something like "I've raced a couple Camaros and wasted them." It should say "I've raced a couple of Camaros and wasted them." Probably causing the confusion is you shouldn't use "of" is if it is followed by more, i.e., "I need a couple more bottles of water". The latter is probably why so many people leave the "of" off the former example.
Sponsored