US 'Detailing' vs UK 'washing the car'

Greg C

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Convertible
Where did you get your vinyl from? Anchor Room or the Guy Dennis in the Netherlands (on Europe Section). His is apparently gloss red but Anchor Room is satin finish. I'm trying to hold back buying stuff as my car not here until at least May (already have rear panel & grills in the garage though!).
Sponsored

Big_G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Fastback
Where did you get your vinyl from? Anchor Room or the Guy Dennis in the Netherlands (on Europe Section). His is apparently gloss red but Anchor Room is satin finish. I'm trying to hold back buying stuff as my car not here until at least May (already have rear panel & grills in the garage though!).
Mine are anchor room, bought them before the other ones were available.

Greg C

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Convertible
Will still look much better than stock- not sure f anyone on here has ordered from Dennis yet- I would like the tints to cover the amber bit on the headlight as well & think anchor room are the only place to do that- might have to order bits from both. Post pics when done with rear panel please

Lone Survivor

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Priscilla McMustang GT Ruby Team DS
I've got the glossy red set from Dennis - fitting tomorrow night :D
Will let you know how it goes:thumbsup:
Looking forward to the results :thumbsup:

Thinking of getting a set from the Dennis fella ;)

And, since you don't live too far away, looking for an invite to see it in person :)

Sponsored

StarWarsJez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Merc C240

Monty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
Nice one Monty. Looks like a freaking mirror!

Cheers Jez
Wish I could take credit - but all I did was hand over a wodge of cash.

It didn't look like that by the time I'd got home by the way! I'm discovering what all those who've had a black car already know.

Big_G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Fastback
Wish I could take credit - but all I did was hand over a wodge of cash.

It didn't look like that by the time I'd got home by the way! I'm discovering what all those who've had a black car already know.

Give it the once over with snow foam and you should be done. What coating have you gone for?

Sponsored

Monty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
Give it the once over with snow foam and you should be done. What coating have you gone for?
"cQuartz Finest" on the bodywork and there's some special stuff on the wheels, windows and seats.

Don't know much about the different coatings and how they compare, just went with the best one the detailer had. They also do the protective film that Centurion did a 'bumper bra' with. It's meant to be fantastic, but not cheap to do the whole car.

Conrad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
V8 GT Black on Black Gen 6
Great thread this, backs up my suspicions to get my new car cleaned and protected by my detailer rather than let Ford prep the car.

My car is exactly the same as yours Monty, did you let the dealer prep your car? Is that why you needed the detail?

Monty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
Great thread this, backs up my suspicions to get my new car cleaned and protected by my detailer rather than let Ford prep the car.

My car is exactly the same as yours Monty, did you let the dealer prep your car? Is that why you needed the detail?
Instructed the dealer not to do anything and I gathered this is actually a common request. I don't think it matters if you're buying a new Mustang or Ford Ka, it's still a lot of money and is going to be someone's 'pride and joy'. People (especially younger folk) seem to be much more clued up (or fussy/paranoid!) these days regarding washing/detailing thanks to the internet.

Aside from being dirty, the bodywork didn't appear to be too bad considering the 3 month journey. I imagine the car cover saved it from a lot of the 'industrial' contaminants you hear about.

Then went home and carefully washed it. This also allows for a good look for scratches etc. There were a few scratches and marks but best leaving these for the detailer rather than the garage.

Had the car booked into the detailer, but not until nearly 2 months later (to allow for delays). They were fairly booked up, so couldn't bring forwards.

I think its worth getting some sort of coating/protection done, as the paint is extremely thin on this car. You're down to the white primer with relatively light scratches. Also, get the grey plastics protected (unless you plan on painting) as these are going to look worse with time.

Also note this is only the beginning of the obsession. Wait until you see that there's no underseal on the car and read that a 'catch can' is a must-have!

Having said all that, If I were buying on PCP or didn't plan on keeping the car, I don't think I'd bother fussing with all this. Thinking about it, by the time you add everything up, it probably comes close to what the finance charges would have been.

Conrad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You're right all dealers should prep the cars to the same perfect standard but it amazes me how many dealers still ruin the paint work. The detailer I use routinely posts bad dealer prep pics on their Facebook page and some of it is shocking

Maybe I'm being judgemental with Ford as this is the first time I've bought a new car from them. I have less confiedence than I would from BMW or Mercedes etc simply due to the value of the cars they sell week in week out.

Conrad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh and what's the catch can for? I'll almost certainly be doing some small mods. Not looked into the exhaust yet but im of the opinion all V8's should shake the floor...

:headbang:
Sponsored