Sponsored

Upset with my dealer over order and courtesy delivery process - should I be?

OMGPonies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Track Pack
Back in August I began the process of ordering a GT350 and ultimately selected a dealership across the country in New York. The first week in September we made the deal final. I was told to expect the car around February-March of 2016. Although I did not make it a condition of the purchase I did immediately ask them to please set up a courtesy delivery to a dealership here in California. I was very happy with my NY dealer but the thought of my car being delivered and then handed to a 3rd party shipper before I ever see it is very discomforting. So, I arranged for the CA dealer I have a relationship with to accept delivery and take care of the prep close to home where I can have better access and control.

My salesman acknowledged my courtesy delivery request but would only ever give responses like "working on it" and "there is plenty of time" when I asked why it had not been set up and confirmed yet. I began feeling that they were trying to avoid doing it for some reason (not sure why, no cost to the selling dealer) and got a little upset because other buyers have set up the same delivery with no issue. After I wrote a couple more strong e-mails my salesman finally called the CA dealer and began trying to get the ball rolling but didn't really follow through. Again be insisted that there was "plenty of time" to set it up and that no VIN or build date had been issued yet. This was all happening mid October-early November.

Fast forward to a few days ago and I learned through my own research calling Ford Performance that in fact my car was completed on 11/11, is awaiting shipment, and the order was pulled and a VIN issued on 10/15. I got pretty upset with the dealer and pointed out that by their fault it was likely too late to set up a courtesy delivery now. They had been telling me we still had time to set it up and no VIN issued when in fact as of October 15 the order was pulled by the factory and after that point the courtesy delivery couldn't be set up anymore. A Ford regional rep tried to work with the factory to change the shipping destination but understandably it was too late on their end. The rep stated in an e-mail I have a copy of that the dealership needed to add the courtesy delivery to the order notes before it was pulled.

The dealership seems to understand that they screwed up but do not want to directly address the fact that I now face at least $3,000 in shipping and travel costs that could have been avoided by simply adding notes to the order when I requested it. They totally stonewalled my request either through complacency or ill intent.

Should I be upset and really push for this dealership to do something like provide shipping themselves or reduce the price of the car to compensate? I am paying them a $5,000 ADM and I certainly don't feel they are earning it now. Is there an appropriate Ford customer service department that would care at all and help in any way?

Do I need to just suck it up and deal with it? I'm definitely feeling a bit like I'm causing a ruckus over a first-world problem here, being upset that my new car order has not gone perfectly. But I really insisted on this courtesy delivery being set up and my dealership really went out of their way to avoid doing it.
Sponsored

draco24433

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Mustang GT Premium
I think you should be very upset. From a customer service stand point, they don't seem to understand or for that matter care about providing top notch customer service. The fact of the matter is unless you buy a Lexus or high end car, that service is just absent. I have yet to find a Ford dealer that can honestly match the service of a Lexus dealer. Try pushing a bit more. If they don't budge, go pick it up yourself and when they satisfaction survey comes to you, rip them a new one! I don't think Ford will do too much. Again, it is not in their DNA to really understand and provide that kind of customer service. At the end, you have two choices. If they don't ship it themselves, you are going to have ship it yourself or just not buy the vehicle. I sincerely hope that you can find the solution you are looking for.Keep us updated.

4 ROUSH

NONE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SOLD
Back in August I began the process of ordering a GT350 and ultimately selected a dealership across the country in New York. The first week in September we made the deal final. I was told to expect the car around February-March of 2016. Although I did not make it a condition of the purchase I did immediately ask them to please set up a courtesy delivery to a dealership here in California. I was very happy with my NY dealer but the thought of my car being delivered and then handed to a 3rd party shipper before I ever see it is very discomforting. So, I arranged for the CA dealer I have a relationship with to accept delivery and take care of the prep close to home where I can have better access and control.

My salesman acknowledged my courtesy delivery request but would only ever give responses like "working on it" and "there is plenty of time" when I asked why it had not been set up and confirmed yet. I began feeling that they were trying to avoid doing it for some reason (not sure why, no cost to the selling dealer) and got a little upset because other buyers have set up the same delivery with no issue. After I wrote a couple more strong e-mails my salesman finally called the CA dealer and began trying to get the ball rolling but didn't really follow through. Again be insisted that there was "plenty of time" to set it up and that no VIN or build date had been issued yet. This was all happening mid October-early November.

Fast forward to a few days ago and I learned through my own research calling Ford Performance that in fact my car was completed on 11/11, is awaiting shipment, and the order was pulled and a VIN issued on 10/15. I got pretty upset with the dealer and pointed out that by their fault it was likely too late to set up a courtesy delivery now. They had been telling me we still had time to set it up and no VIN issued when in fact as of October 15 the order was pulled by the factory and after that point the courtesy delivery couldn't be set up anymore. A Ford regional rep tried to work with the factory to change the shipping destination but understandably it was too late on their end. The rep stated in an e-mail I have a copy of that the dealership needed to add the courtesy delivery to the order notes before it was pulled.

The dealership seems to understand that they screwed up but do not want to directly address the fact that I now face at least $3,000 in shipping and travel costs that could have been avoided by simply adding notes to the order when I requested it. They totally stonewalled my request either through complacency or ill intent.

Should I be upset and really push for this dealership to do something like provide shipping themselves or reduce the price of the car to compensate? I am paying them a $5,000 ADM and I certainly don't feel they are earning it now. Is there an appropriate Ford customer service department that would care at all and help in any way?

Do I need to just suck it up and deal with it? I'm definitely feeling a bit like I'm causing a ruckus over a first-world problem here, being upset that my new car order has not gone perfectly. But I really insisted on this courtesy delivery being set up and my dealership really went out of their way to avoid doing it.
Sorry to hear this. The price of the car should be reduced because of this to compensate the issue. :frusty::faint:

OP
OP

OMGPonies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Track Pack
Thank you both! In the end it will be alright one way or another, but I definitely won't feel good about eating shipping costs they could have easily prevented if that happens. Just wanted to check my attitude a bit before I have to really start driving my points home with this dealer - appreciate it a lot!

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual
It looks like you might have another two weeks before your car is @ the dealer. Since you have a $5000 adm maybe you can find a car closer to you. I'd look around and maybe save on shipping if they are not willing to help.

Sponsored

olla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Their fault for being lazy. If they are not willing to eat the shipping cost let them have the car and ask them to refund your money and if they don't want to just file a chargeback with all the evidence you have and find a competent dealer, they are hard to find but they exist.

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Back in August I began the process of ordering a GT350 and ultimately selected a dealership across the country in New York. ...
I understand where you’re coming from, OMGPonies. Since you’ve already been in contact with one of our regional customer service reps, you should definitely address this with the GM or the sales manager.

Deysha

OP
OP

OMGPonies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Track Pack
I understand where you’re coming from, OMGPonies. Since you’ve already been in contact with one of our regional customer service reps, you should definitely address this with the GM or the sales manager.

Deysha
Thank you Deysha and every one else as well. It's reassuring to hear that I'm not the only one who thinks this situation should have played out differently.

I might want this car enough to deal with it even if I have to fly to New York myself and hand it over to a good transporter. But it's pretty clear the dealership should pay for all or part of those expenses when it would have been SO EASY to just set up the courtesy delivery.

I have two e-mails out to my salesman this week which have gone unanswered so I will apparently have to escalate further up at the dealership. Not a big fan of complaining to managers about employees and service but don't feel that I'm being left much choice. My patience so far has only been answered with disregard.

Just trying to keep reminding myself how lucky I am to be ordering this car to begin with. :ford:

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Thank you Deysha and every one else as well. It's reassuring to hear that I'm not the only one who thinks this situation should have played out differently.

I might want this car enough to deal with it even if I have to fly to New York myself and hand it over to a good transporter. But it's pretty clear the dealership should pay for all or part of those expenses when it would have been SO EASY to just set up the courtesy delivery.

I have two e-mails out to my salesman this week which have gone unanswered so I will apparently have to escalate further up at the dealership. Not a big fan of complaining to managers about employees and service but don't feel that I'm being left much choice. My patience so far has only been answered with disregard.

Just trying to keep reminding myself how lucky I am to be ordering this car to begin with. :ford:
You’re welcome, OMGPonies!

Deysha

OP
OP

OMGPonies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Track Pack
Unfortunately spoke with the Ford customer relations line and it appears there is no route to take to have any say over what the dealership has already decided. They were willing to open an internal case but the only real result of that is a message being sent to dealership management, whom I have already thoroughly covered the issue with. While I understand they are separate businesses it's disappointing that dealerships are allowed to get away with such poor customer service. Will just have to choose more carefully next time.

Sponsored

Ayabe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GG GT Premium with PP
While I understand they are separate businesses it's disappointing that dealerships are allowed to get away with such poor customer service. Will just have to choose more carefully next time.
I'm sorry man, you really were hosed. I don't understand it either. The dealerships are representing their brand and ought to take that seriously. Ford holds all the cards and should 'convince' their partner/representative/whatever to not tarnish that.

Sure they can say, 'go to another dealer', but that's not a good answer, the priority should be to rectify the problem at hand and prevent these issues in the future.

If they somehow cannot make the dealer cover your costs then they should pay and take it out of the dealers' ass in some other fashion.

Snakedriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Ford is not going to do anything for you. I would ask the dealer for help with the shipping if they won't I would take the car any way, it's ordered to your specs and you have already waited for it and negotiated price. If not you may wait a while for another GT350 the way you want it. It's up to you.

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
It's not that Ford won't, it's that they can't. You would be surprised how little control they have over dealerships. It's not Ford's fault, it's state/federal laws etc. Ford corporate can only do so much. Unfortunately it sounds like you got a bum dealership.

OP
OP

OMGPonies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Track Pack
Definitely just ended up with a bum dealership. I received an e-mail about it from the sales manager that read out to mean essentially "we got you to sign paperwork and order the car, we didn't care after that". Total disregard for the fact that their salesman lied about making an effort to set up the delivery to begin with.

Sucks having a stealership stick it to me like this but too excited about this car to jump ship and start everything over again. If I weren't so lucky to have the car on order to begin with, I wouldn't have the privilege of getting dragged by a dealer on the way to receiving it. :ford: I'll probably forget everything the first time I take it to redline.

klumpikat

Chick driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 'Stang GT Premium
Here is what I would do...

Buy a one-way plane ticket to that dealership in New York, pick up my keys, and enjoy a nice cross-country drive home. :cheers:
Sponsored