Sponsored

Upgrading Head Gasket & Studs Prior to Bigger Turbo?

DavidEcobeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue 2.3T/AT Mustang
Agian... you can cross reference the part numbers on any ford parts website. I am certain tbe 2019 -2020 Mustang ecoboosts are using this head gasket . 100 miles now, and no problems. I just changed the oil (5/50 Amsoil) and it is running GREAT.

This head gasket was recommended and I was skeptical too, until I did some research and asked people who build these engines.
Speed3, Engine Management Systems, Zack Allport, and cross referencing. It works!
Sponsored

StealthStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Ecoboost (NX2)
LOOK AT YOUR PICTURES !

You are missing the holes for the cylinder bridge coolant path !

Its pretty obvious from the pictures that head gasket INCORRECT.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cu...e/a14510137/ford-focus-rs-head-gasket-issues/

You are blocking the holes where the coolant flows through the cylinder wall bridges, meaning you are going to get hot spots at the top of the deck and its going to crack the cylinder walls.

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
Agian... you can cross reference the part numbers on any ford parts website. I am certain tbe 2019 -2020 Mustang ecoboosts are using this head gasket . 100 miles now, and no problems. I just changed the oil (5/50 Amsoil) and it is running GREAT.

This head gasket was recommended and I was skeptical too, until I did some research and asked people who build these engines.
Speed3, Engine Management Systems, Zack Allport, and cross referencing. It works!
not to argue or say it's impossible but all evidence physically past and present says otherwise, if Ford can make the mistake and mix up the wrong HG so can anyone else? also just cause it's working fine right now doesn't mean that will be the case later it doesn't just not work after install, it can take some time to fail... but If this can be confirmed beyond reasonable doubt that would be nice to know.

Sponsored

DavidEcobeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you all are super freaked out, then just go with a dedicated aftermarket head gasket.
I am no back yard mechanic btw. I ran a shop, 4 ASE's and know what I am doing. No need to toot my horn though. Just sharing information. Yes...I recommend replacing the "head gasket" and doing "head bolts" if looking for long term reliability, or more then 400 whp/torque. Again...this engine will require ALTERNATIVE octane. Methonal, race gas, or Ethanol blended fuels to make that 400 or number. I am talking about long term reliability. The newer Mustangs probably has this gasket installed already!

Don't even think about replacing one bolt at a time with a head stud either. It is recommended to bottom tap the cylinder block head bolt bosses. Also, the factory gasket will already be compresed @the factory torque. Being MLS it is not elastic and conformed. Just replace it ;)

StealthStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So explain to me then why it doesnt need coolant flow into that section when it initially did from the factory ?

Unlike putting the mustang Gasket on the RS, you arent going to have coolant bleed into the combustion chamber, but you are basically stopping coolant flow across the bridge.

In the earlier open deck blocks, like the Ford/Volvo 2.5 T5, the cylinder walls would crack at that very point due to it being a hot spot and a sealing point.
Running coolant through there is surely to cool those spots down.

This should not be an accepted mod until someone can explain the pros and cons of blocking those passages off.

StealthStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can call a cat a dog all you want these gaskets ARE NOT THE SAME i dont care that some online parts system claims compatibility even Ford made mistakes with this very part at the factory.

You still haven't told me why blocking those coolant passages is a reasonable thing to do ? Yet you are advising people change their perfectly working cars to a part thats not meant for their cars ?

I know for a fact the blocks are different on the Focus RS and Ecoboost Mustang (mostly cooling related changes), this is well known however this may not be the case with facelift or the HPP ecoboosts.
Regardless, considering these differences exist, it is tremendously bad advice to tell people to do this when quite clearly I can already see an obvious problem in your install.

Sponsored

StealthStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I literally just posted that link a few min ago.

Though before anybody claims its "incorrect" ive seen the differences myself, and you can go onto the Focus RS forums and theres entire threads with pictures showing the differences between these gaskets and also information on how the blocks differ.

The only if factor is that nobody has really put much effort into stripping the head of a HPP or Facelift and comparing to a pre-facelift to my knowledge.

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
I literally just posted that link a few min ago.

Though before anybody claims its "incorrect" ive seen the differences myself, and you can go onto the Focus RS forums and theres entire threads with pictures showing the differences between these gaskets and also information on how the blocks differ.

The only if factor is that nobody has really put much effort into stripping the head of a HPP or Facelift and comparing to a pre-facelift to my knowledge.

oh that you did haha, yea It's possible starting at the 18's they just starting using the same passages for a single gasket on all blocks for all for easier management, the blocks are nearly identical as mentioned so it would make sense if possible to just go that route, but it would need to be verified to be sure. But one thing is absolutely sure is pre 18's are not the same.

DavidEcobeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Time will tell my friends. Time will tell....
Drove it all day, and seems fine to me. I am no engineer, but was told this gasket will work. I will say, it is working as of now, also I provided as much info as possible.

Last edited:

StealthStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, I think best thing until its known with 100% certain people stick to the exact part numbers for their car if the head gasket must be replaced.

If you need a stronger gasket, like you said theres aftermarket options and personally i think thats a safer option since the coolant passages are identical to factory ecoboost Mustang.

DavidEcobeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I understand the cause for concern. Therefore I should probably remove the "Focus RS headgasket statement". The head gasket Purchased is indeed the new revised "factory head gasket for my engine. It just happens to share the same part number as the Focus. It seems to me that the Ford engineers redesigned the headgasket to accommodate both engines to avoid future mishaps and to add better sealing capabilities. My point; if one was to go to the dealer and ask for a head gasket, then that person would recieve the new superceded gasket that it now on my engine.

Screenshot_20210116-065531_Chrome.jpg
Sponsored