Upgraded stock headlights to LED.

V8 WUU

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
The Stock headlights have always annoyed me as HID's on previous cars have always been considerably brighter.

Having looked into this (and the reason our Mustangs only have 25W bulbs), i saw a few people have upgraded them to 35W ballasts and bulbs.
But getting 35W ballasts that are direct replacements with the same connectors seemed a bit hit and miss, and wanted to avoid cutting the OEM harness.

I then found these LED bulbs on Amazon that connect straight onto the standard 25W ballast, i thought i would give them a try.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08LYYYH15/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A few pics of the installation, after doing the driver side through the ridiculously tiny access hole which was a total ball ache!, I removed the bumper and headlight for the passenger side, and would recommend this, as its much easier.

The kit that arrived was a D3S kit, which the ballast connector is slightly different to the D8S, however with a bit of force it does fit, and tight enough it never going to come loose! You can see here how small the LED driver is here, so it fits inside the headlight cluster.

IMG_3039.JPG

You can see here, there is just room for the LED driver to slot in!

IMG_3045.JPG

The R/H side is LED, L/H is stock:
IMG_3034.JPG

I don't know how they compare to 35W HID's, but they are considerably brighter, so happy with them, and they keep everything looking stock.

Just thought i would post incase anyone else is considering an upgrade.
Sponsored

OP
OP
V8 WUU

V8 WUU

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Just taken a few on an empty country road, so no other light sources, and flash turned off:

Low Beam:
IMG_3047.JPG

High Beam:
IMG_3049.JPG

I think the biggest difference is it really lights up the sides of the road, and can see a bit further ahead. Can easily drive purely on low beam now.

Should have taken some before!

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
Hope it's not one of those things that blinds me as it passes.

Sponsored

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
small thread bumpage - how did these LED replacements perform / last ? I'm sure I read some post where you got yourself a post face lift model ?

E=MC2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge & Soon to be Mach 1
I would be very careful on doing any changes like this - especially around the ECE reg's. If any changes are made to the car which are not legal, the vehicle or any insurance relating to it becomes null & void, you also have a legal obligation to inform your insurers of any changes made, if changes are made such as this would breach the contact and nullify your coverage.

A saying in Law classes: ignorantia juris non excusat

If changes are made without the agreement of your insurers and they find out - they would terminate your policy and revoke your insurance which would have long lasting knock on affects with all future insurance policies

The legislation is here: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/contents/made

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
I would be very careful on doing any changes like this - especially around the ECE reg's. If any changes are made to the car which are not legal, the vehicle or any insurance relating to it becomes null & void, you also have a legal obligation to inform your insurers of any changes made, if changes are made such as this would breach the contact and nullify your coverage.

A saying in Law classes: ignorantia juris non excusat

If changes are made without the agreement of your insurers and they find out - they would terminate your policy and revoke your insurance which would have long lasting knock on affects with all future insurance policies

The legislation is here: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/contents/made
you're no fun!
So basically because the car has no headlight washers and the 25W units are 💩 but i cannot change them, means i can't use the car safely at night as the lights have the output of candles? I mean any kind of moisture in the air renders them pretty useless over 30mph on dark roads and we get a lot of darkness and rain usually at the same time. So, basically the EU pre face lift Mustang is daytime car only? That's deeply 💩 :curse:

escossie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
My 22 GT has no washers that i can see - unless they pop out from the gap below the lights - so i would be surprised if the current lights would cause a problem - if you wanted to play it safe just advise your insurance that you have upgraded to the latest lights for safety

Sponsored

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
My 22 GT has no washers that i can see - unless they pop out from the gap below the lights - so i would be surprised if the current lights would cause a problem - if you wanted to play it safe just advise your insurance that you have upgraded to the latest lights for safety
facelift models, basically MY18 and onwards have LED as std so you get the better design by default. And working tribars dammit, not that I'm bitter / jealous / envious haha

E=MC2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge & Soon to be Mach 1
So basically because the car has no headlight washers and the 25W units are 💩 but i cannot change them, means i can't use the car safely at night as the lights have the output of candles? I mean any kind of moisture in the air renders them pretty useless over 30mph on dark roads and we get a lot of darkness and rain usually at the same time. So, basically the EU pre face lift Mustang is daytime car only? That's deeply 💩 :curse:
What you don't want to do is indirectly cause a crash or some other type of issue. Let's just say theoretically, someone crashes a car for whatever reason, they say I saw a pink mustang which blinded me with it's light, so I crashed into a speed camera.

The police would investigate that, they would get the details of the pink car, take the car in - then find either person who made the statement was wasting everyones time OR they find it has been modified in a way which does not relate to current regulations and thus - other person argument is now vailed.

They would also check with the car insurance and if the car insurance say's we agreed to ABCD etc mod's - then it's fine, your covered. However, any insurance company will insure anything, they require you to make sure that the car is within the legal requirements of the law.

If said modifications and have agreed to insure it but are not legal they require you to use them on private land and not public roads.

Now if the insurers, turn around and say, we are not aware of any changes/mods, they will end the policy as your acting in bad faith, the police could then seize the pink car since the driver was driving it at the time now without said insurance and settlement & fees would need to be paid to the claimant(s) along with any prosecution that could follow,

This would be passed on to the MIB and recorded - https://www.mib.org.uk/

The pink mustang driver would have to declare that this insurance was cancelled by the insurer for whatever the reason was as provided. That pink car would need good luck finding anyone for insurance policies again for anything, even home insurance etc or even far higher premiums if accepted by any insurers.

you're no fun!
🙃

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
What you don't want to do is indirectly cause a crash or some other type of issue. Let's just say theoretically, someone crashes a car for whatever reason, they say I saw a pink mustang which blinded me with it's light, so I crashed into a speed camera.

The police would investigate that, they would get the details of the pink car, take the car in - then find either person who made the statement was wasting everyones time OR they find it has been modified in a way which does not relate to current regulations and thus - other person argument is now vailed.

They would also check with the car insurance and if the car insurance say's we agreed to ABCD etc mod's - then it's fine, your covered. However, any insurance company will insure anything, they require you to make sure that the car is within the legal requirements of the law.

If said modifications and have agreed to insure it but are not legal they require you to use them on private land and not public roads.

Now if the insurers, turn around and say, we are not aware of any changes/mods, they will end the policy as your acting in bad faith, the police could then seize the pink car since the driver was driving it at the time now without said insurance and settlement & fees would need to be paid to the claimant(s) along with any prosecution that could follow,

This would be passed on to the MIB and recorded - https://www.mib.org.uk/

The pink mustang driver would have to declare that this insurance was cancelled by the insurer for whatever the reason was as provided. That pink car would need good luck finding anyone for insurance policies again for anything, even home insurance etc or even far higher premiums if accepted by any insurers.

🙃
damn, now i am depressed

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
Ah, I am once again reminded of the truth my brother told me about insurance companies. He retired from State Farm here in the US after about 35 years as a bodily injury claims adjuster (a really disgusting job at that) His statement? Insurance is nothing but legal racketeering.

Drive it like you stole it!
Sponsored