Sponsored

Upgraded from a GT to GT350! First take review.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
TL;DR - based on the 150 miles I was able to put on the clock in this first day alone, I’m going to summarize this by telling all MY15-17 owners right now: make the jump if you can. Jesus Christ, do it and you won’t regret it.

I’ve been scouring for MY18-20 GTs for awhile and gave Bullitts a look, but then I stumbled across this GT350 in the exact spec I wanted. Tech Package, Handling Package, Recaros, and painted in Performance Blue with white stripes.

I’m not only blown away by the obvious upgrades, but it’s all of the little improvements that have taken place over the S550’s lifetime that stand out. Breaking things down into arbitrary categories:

**Engine:** After reading reviews from owners and outlets and watching a million videos, the line where people say you’ll want to instinctively shift way below the redline, I figured I’d call bullshit. Been used to high redlines and thought the Coyote’s 7K wouldn’t have been too far off. Wrong. The higher pitch, gearing, and power delivery just keep swelling to the point that it *sounds* about right, and then you realize you have another 2K to go. Just unreal, and totally tractable. People used to Gen II Coyotes won’t downgrade in terms of useable torque and normal revs; that’s overblown. It feels identical up to about 2.5K, then you feel tangibly more shove by 3-4K, and then it’s just a complete rubber band of acceleration from there. Cons? It’s INCREDIBLY buzzy. NVH was actually concerning at first, but then you realize that it’s fine. Vibration increases dramatically north of 5K and Coyotes are in a different class of smoothness here. But it feels better under load with a decent amount of throttle. Light throttle and unloaded high RPMs are where it feels disconcerting.

**Transmission:** Not even a discussion. The clutch is still acutely springy around the bite point (for reference I removed my GT’s assist spring which made it feel a little more linear and slightly heavier), but the bite point is far more communicative and clearly defined. The shifter itself is a thing of beauty, but not a fan of the knob. Third feels a little notchy/resistant, but the definition shifting into 1st, 5th, and 6th are night and day. The ratios feel pretty similar to what I had with the 3.73 rear end in the GT. 1st feels a little longer and more tractable, and the 3rd-4th shift feels much shorter, and it’s my favorite shift by far. THERE IS ZERO SLOP IN THE DRIVETRAIN. NONE. The MT-82 has this awful sense of slack when manipulating the clutch with persistent odd “thumps” while engaging most gears. None of that exists here and the sense of build quality skyrockets as a result. FWIW, I had a Barton Hybrid installed in the GT. This is better than that by a mile. Same rowing definition, but less notchy and more glidey.

**Brakes:** Haven’t done any hard stops during break-in, but they’re identical in daily operation and feel similar up to the 50% use I experienced. I was expecting a sharper initial bite but felt the transition from car to car seamless here. Predictable, strong, no comments.

**Handling/Comfort:** Can’t make a fair comment for any handling above 5/10ths and I can’t stand when people pretend to have an idea outside of a track, so let’s talk ride quality and “commute handling.” The notion that you sit ‘on top’ of the wheels in the GT goes away and you feel like you’re in one cohesive, bolted chunk of car. The front and rear end don’t get upset by expansion joints. The car corners incredibly flat in either mode when taking fast, decreasing radius ramps. There is next to no secondary motion when hitting bumps or making adjustments. And the ride quality feels identical in terms of cushioning, just way more sorted out. “Sport” mode damper adjustments up the stiffness to a practical degree, even providing some neat steering rebound that’s novel but annoying around town,while ride comfort takes a 20-30% hit, based on my perception at least. Hope to test at a track one day.

**Steering:** The SINGLE biggest improvement, bar none. No delayed reactions to input, no dead on-center feel (incredibly small at least), and amazing communication of road texture and bumps. The weight builds up SO well, with all three modes feeling way less artificial. I left my GT in comfort because the normal and sport settings ramped up weight artificially, and it felt like you were steering with some kind of rubber band hiding in the rack and pinion. The GT350’s weighting feels ideal in normal this time around. Steering effort has a larger range of variance based on speed, lateral load, and turning degree. Tramlining is not awful like I was expecting (I wonder if it’s because these SC2s are harder than the gooey ones on the GT350R/PP2). I was expecting some bad times when driving on parts of highway where the road surface changes at odds with the lane. Not bad at all but definitely noticeable compared to the GT. You’re busier at the wheel, but not necessarily busy. Let’s see if that opinion stays the same 50k miles later.

**Sounds system:** “The Voodoo is all the music you need.” Not applicable to me; this is my daily and I love driving with some music and the windows down. Would LOVE to see SavageGeese do a sound test on this. Absolutely did not expect the B&O system to blow the socks off of whatever my upgraded Shaker system was in the GT - was it Bose? Either way, excellent clarity in all ranges high to low. The GT felt a little empty in the mid and a little tinny up top, and the bass felt like it lacked a lot of range - decent but not anything to write home about. I’m genuinely impressed with the GT350’s. The highs are clearly defined; the mids are full, and there’s not only plenty of bass, but at a variety of ranges too. Very pleasant surprise.

**Nav/Media:** Let’s just summarize by saying it’s a jump from Sync 2 to Sync 3. Where I’m hoping to see improvement is in consistency between Bluetooth paring and avoiding random crashes. That drove me crazy. Time will tell. Response is much better and transitions seem smoother, or could just be placebo. The mini info screen between gauges looks like a higher resolution.

**Build Quality:** Panel gaps are in check (thank god). Window looks aligned, and interior construction feels better. No pillar squeaks, but there is a slight rattle that comes at random below the dash trim to the left of the nav. Will see what happens here.

**Economy:** Holy crap it’s awful. Sure, I’m focused on mixing up the rev ranges and it’s probably staying north of 2K more than it should with some judicious throttle here and there, but I’m currently averaging 10.3mpg. SHEESH. I’ll reset the trip and try my best to drive it entirely civilized to see what a fair assessment looks like with my commute. Averaged about 17mpg in the GT.

**What I wish it had:** Sad that MyColor gauge and ambient lighting didn’t carry over, and wish it had the MY18+ rev matching, but heel toeing seem easier than in my GT due to the engine response, so not too worried there. Looking into Xineering’s auto blip unit.

**Other cool stuff:** The “Swing” on the rear decklid is gorgeous and completes the stance imo. This car gets insane attention. Complete night and day reactions from surrounding drivers. Lots of minivans being driven by Vettel clones too I guess. I LOVE the overrun crackles and pops. They’re insane! My GT had a Corsa Xtreme catcback which felt comparably loud (maybe ~5db louder?) but it only really CRACKLED when things were hot after repeat WOT runs. This thing pops like crazy when decelerating beyond 4K. It’s also entirely easy to trigger indefinite burbles by leaving about 1% throttle on during deceleration. But it almost makes me feel like I’m using one of those try-hard BMW burble tunes. Normal mode with the muffled start-up is a godsend for my neighborhood too. The mildly flat-bottomed steering wheel is novel and makes physical touch feel a little niftier, and the alcantara feels magical. At least while it’s new and clean. The 9 and 3 feel slightly less chunk too, or the rim itself could be more pronounced. Not sure but they bugged me in my GT.

Plans are to get tint, ceramic coating, a resonator delete, and a pair of SV104 wheels in bronze. In that order. Dream goal is to get it tuned by FatHouse for a twin turbo build. I don’t plan on getting rid of this anytime soon.

Going to take her out one more time before going to bed. Can’t get enough of her and I’m trying to fly through this break-in period!

For reference, I put 97,000 miles on the GT over the course of 5 years and feel that I know that car like the back of my hand. Feel free to ask me anything if you’re looking for specific comparison feedback.
FAA50474-A0F4-488B-A13A-ACAAD5D80C7C.jpeg
3196646F-74E7-4641-A259-7F392D87AAFD.jpeg
2BD84F2E-3069-4CEF-B389-A666C483264F.jpeg
A5E95378-43D8-40E2-8610-CD929FE23CB6.jpeg
Sponsored

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Absolutely gorgeous. Can't wait to see bronze wheels with your color combo.

Voodoo Velocity

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 / 2016 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
Welcome. Maybe I will see myself driving in the other direction.

Now peel off that dealer sticker from the rear bumper.

Edit: Oops, it looked Velocity Blue. Then I saw it is Performance Blue.....close!

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Beautiful ride, and congratz! I can definitely agree that the GT an 350 are night and day.

As for your write up, it's interesting. I had a 16 R and will soon be getting a 20 non-tech 350. What I can truly tell you is that the brakes and handling ARE a step above what I have known in prior Ford's. Having had two Boss 302s (a 12 and a 13) and the R for comparo, those performance cars are night and day. Yes, one is a prior gen, but the Boss 302 cars were, in my opinion, one of the best Mustangs Ford EVER produced. Brakes and tranny, of course, were killers, and body roll compared to the technological suspension of the 350 was a revelation.

I can solidly agree with you that the swing is absolutely beautiful and when I saw one on base I remarked that, for the cost, the R wing just wasn't as impressive to me. I love it, and I love it so much that I'll be changing my options on my allocation from the carbon dash package to the handling package to get the gurney flap to augment the look and function.

You are most definitely correct that the Voodoo is all the magic you need for sound. I had the tech option with my 16 R and I felt like for the money I didn't get anything to enhance the car other than the rear camera. Now that cams are standard I'm going non-tech. I don't need 12 speakers and the added weight. I will miss the burble of my B302 side pipes just behind my ear, but the voodoo is nearly an equal in sound quality.

I was intrigued to see that you had installed a Barton on your prior car and thought that was impressive. I have shifted the gates of a Barton and an MGW and can tell you that after a mechanical and functional inspection of the MGW offering vs the Barton, the MGW is like pulling back the bolt on a world class bolt-action rifle. The Barton has some linkage issues that I did not like and could feel the transmission of that through the handle and to the knob. I would imagine that a Barton would have been even more rachety in a 350 given its inherent NVH.

What matters though is that you are happy! It brings me joy to hear your review and how impressed you were with the transition from the coyote to the hummingbird. I loved my R... it looked like Kylo Ren with his lightsaber in Magnetic with the stripe package. It was an absolute thrill to drive and I was frustrated that I only put 3200 miles or so on the clock. That being said, I will be putting more miles on the clock on my 2020 350 and I don't see a reason as to why I will ever get rid of it and will hopefully be able to keep it for life, God willing.

Enjoy that beautiful ride brother, and rock on!!! She's gorgeous!!!

svassh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R Performance Blue Metallic
I’m kind of partial to that color combo myself.

congratulations

Sponsored

sox3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350 Performance Blue
Congrats on the new ride. Good luck with it. Luv the color as well.

matmar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
matthew
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Congrats! Check the MPG difference with the gurney flap removed once your excitement dies down :)

proeagles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT 350, 2019 BMW X3, 2019 Honda Civic
For some reason I love that color combo. Congrats.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
... I love it so much that I'll be changing my options on my allocation from the carbon dash package to the handling package to get the gurney flap to augment the look and function...
I presume you know, but just in case, you can get the handling package and carbon dash together.

Sponsored

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I presume you know, but just in case, you can get the handling package and carbon dash together.
Yes, I do... I just don’t think the dash is worth the squeeze, yet I do think the gurney and the plates are.

I can always do aesthetics later... track pieces are king!

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Yes, I do... I just don’t think the dash is worth the squeeze, yet I do think the gurney and the plates are.

I can always do aesthetics later... track pieces are king!
Agree with reference to the Gurney. However, when it comes to hard core tracking, the plates have relatively limited adjustability compared to most aftermarket options. Just a thought.

Good point on the dash. I wonder how long the carbon fiber look will be considered staylish before it kinda becomes like vinyl tops of the 60s and 70s.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Agree with reference to the Gurney. However, when it comes to hard core tracking, the plates have relatively limited adjustability compared to most aftermarket options. Just a thought.

Good point on the dash. I wonder how long the carbon fiber look will be considered staylish before it kinda becomes like vinyl tops of the 60s and 70s.
Thanks for the insight. I’m doubt I’ll be tracking it to 9/10ths of the car’s ability but if you think aftermarket plates would be a better option I may consider just getting a gurney from an aftermarket offering.

same thought I were entertaining regarding the dash... I don’t want to look like a boy racer when boy racer style is old and fugly.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Thanks for the insight. I’m doubt I’ll be tracking it to 9/10ths of the car’s ability but if you think aftermarket plates would be a better option I may consider just getting a gurney from an aftermarket offering.

same thought I were entertaining regarding the dash... I don’t want to look like a boy racer when boy racer style is old and fugly.
Well, don't put it that way. I got the CF dash and performance pkg...so it is guaranteed to be in style forever! :)

Here's the info on the plates. May be good enough, but worth being aware of the limits.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/ford-adjustable-strut-mount-camber-limits.131400/

GT350Obsession

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
K0963 2019 GT350 RR, Black Roof
TL;DR - based on the 150 miles I was able to put on the clock in this first day alone, I’m going to summarize this by telling all MY15-17 owners right now: make the jump if you can. Jesus Christ, do it and you won’t regret it.

I’ve been scouring for MY18-20 GTs for awhile and gave Bullitts a look, but then I stumbled across this GT350 in the exact spec I wanted. Tech Package, Handling Package, Recaros, and painted in Performance Blue with white stripes.

I’m not only blown away by the obvious upgrades, but it’s all of the little improvements that have taken place over the S550’s lifetime that stand out. Breaking things down into arbitrary categories:

**Engine:** After reading reviews from owners and outlets and watching a million videos, the line where people say you’ll want to instinctively shift way below the redline, I figured I’d call bullshit. Been used to high redlines and thought the Coyote’s 7K wouldn’t have been too far off. Wrong. The higher pitch, gearing, and power delivery just keep swelling to the point that it *sounds* about right, and then you realize you have another 2K to go. Just unreal, and totally tractable. People used to Gen II Coyotes won’t downgrade in terms of useable torque and normal revs; that’s overblown. It feels identical up to about 2.5K, then you feel tangibly more shove by 3-4K, and then it’s just a complete rubber band of acceleration from there. Cons? It’s INCREDIBLY buzzy. NVH was actually concerning at first, but then you realize that it’s fine. Vibration increases dramatically north of 5K and Coyotes are in a different class of smoothness here. But it feels better under load with a decent amount of throttle. Light throttle and unloaded high RPMs are where it feels disconcerting.

**Transmission:** Not even a discussion. The clutch is still acutely springy around the bite point (for reference I removed my GT’s assist spring which made it feel a little more linear and slightly heavier), but the bite point is far more communicative and clearly defined. The shifter itself is a thing of beauty, but not a fan of the knob. Third feels a little notchy/resistant, but the definition shifting into 1st, 5th, and 6th are night and day. The ratios feel pretty similar to what I had with the 3.73 rear end in the GT. 1st feels a little longer and more tractable, and the 3rd-4th shift feels much shorter, and it’s my favorite shift by far. THERE IS ZERO SLOP IN THE DRIVETRAIN. NONE. The MT-82 has this awful sense of slack when manipulating the clutch with persistent odd “thumps” while engaging most gears. None of that exists here and the sense of build quality skyrockets as a result. FWIW, I had a Barton Hybrid installed in the GT. This is better than that by a mile. Same rowing definition, but less notchy and more glidey.

**Brakes:** Haven’t done any hard stops during break-in, but they’re identical in daily operation and feel similar up to the 50% use I experienced. I was expecting a sharper initial bite but felt the transition from car to car seamless here. Predictable, strong, no comments.

**Handling/Comfort:** Can’t make a fair comment for any handling above 5/10ths and I can’t stand when people pretend to have an idea outside of a track, so let’s talk ride quality and “commute handling.” The notion that you sit ‘on top’ of the wheels in the GT goes away and you feel like you’re in one cohesive, bolted chunk of car. The front and rear end don’t get upset by expansion joints. The car corners incredibly flat in either mode when taking fast, decreasing radius ramps. There is next to no secondary motion when hitting bumps or making adjustments. And the ride quality feels identical in terms of cushioning, just way more sorted out. “Sport” mode damper adjustments up the stiffness to a practical degree, even providing some neat steering rebound that’s novel but annoying around town,while ride comfort takes a 20-30% hit, based on my perception at least. Hope to test at a track one day.

**Steering:** The SINGLE biggest improvement, bar none. No delayed reactions to input, no dead on-center feel (incredibly small at least), and amazing communication of road texture and bumps. The weight builds up SO well, with all three modes feeling way less artificial. I left my GT in comfort because the normal and sport settings ramped up weight artificially, and it felt like you were steering with some kind of rubber band hiding in the rack and pinion. The GT350’s weighting feels ideal in normal this time around. Steering effort has a larger range of variance based on speed, lateral load, and turning degree. Tramlining is not awful like I was expecting (I wonder if it’s because these SC2s are harder than the gooey ones on the GT350R/PP2). I was expecting some bad times when driving on parts of highway where the road surface changes at odds with the lane. Not bad at all but definitely noticeable compared to the GT. You’re busier at the wheel, but not necessarily busy. Let’s see if that opinion stays the same 50k miles later.

**Sounds system:** “The Voodoo is all the music you need.” Not applicable to me; this is my daily and I love driving with some music and the windows down. Would LOVE to see SavageGeese do a sound test on this. Absolutely did not expect the B&O system to blow the socks off of whatever my upgraded Shaker system was in the GT - was it Bose? Either way, excellent clarity in all ranges high to low. The GT felt a little empty in the mid and a little tinny up top, and the bass felt like it lacked a lot of range - decent but not anything to write home about. I’m genuinely impressed with the GT350’s. The highs are clearly defined; the mids are full, and there’s not only plenty of bass, but at a variety of ranges too. Very pleasant surprise.

**Nav/Media:** Let’s just summarize by saying it’s a jump from Sync 2 to Sync 3. Where I’m hoping to see improvement is in consistency between Bluetooth paring and avoiding random crashes. That drove me crazy. Time will tell. Response is much better and transitions seem smoother, or could just be placebo. The mini info screen between gauges looks like a higher resolution.

**Build Quality:** Panel gaps are in check (thank god). Window looks aligned, and interior construction feels better. No pillar squeaks, but there is a slight rattle that comes at random below the dash trim to the left of the nav. Will see what happens here.

**Economy:** Holy crap it’s awful. Sure, I’m focused on mixing up the rev ranges and it’s probably staying north of 2K more than it should with some judicious throttle here and there, but I’m currently averaging 10.3mpg. SHEESH. I’ll reset the trip and try my best to drive it entirely civilized to see what a fair assessment looks like with my commute. Averaged about 17mpg in the GT.

**What I wish it had:** Sad that MyColor gauge and ambient lighting didn’t carry over, and wish it had the MY18+ rev matching, but heel toeing seem easier than in my GT due to the engine response, so not too worried there. Looking into Xineering’s auto blip unit.

**Other cool stuff:** The “Swing” on the rear decklid is gorgeous and completes the stance imo. This car gets insane attention. Complete night and day reactions from surrounding drivers. Lots of minivans being driven by Vettel clones too I guess. I LOVE the overrun crackles and pops. They’re insane! My GT had a Corsa Xtreme catcback which felt comparably loud (maybe ~5db louder?) but it only really CRACKLED when things were hot after repeat WOT runs. This thing pops like crazy when decelerating beyond 4K. It’s also entirely easy to trigger indefinite burbles by leaving about 1% throttle on during deceleration. But it almost makes me feel like I’m using one of those try-hard BMW burble tunes. Normal mode with the muffled start-up is a godsend for my neighborhood too. The mildly flat-bottomed steering wheel is novel and makes physical touch feel a little niftier, and the alcantara feels magical. At least while it’s new and clean. The 9 and 3 feel slightly less chunk too, or the rim itself could be more pronounced. Not sure but they bugged me in my GT.

Plans are to get tint, ceramic coating, a resonator delete, and a pair of SV104 wheels in bronze. In that order. Dream goal is to get it tuned by FatHouse for a twin turbo build. I don’t plan on getting rid of this anytime soon.

Going to take her out one more time before going to bed. Can’t get enough of her and I’m trying to fly through this break-in period!

For reference, I put 97,000 miles on the GT over the course of 5 years and feel that I know that car like the back of my hand. Feel free to ask me anything if you’re looking for specific comparison feedback.
FAA50474-A0F4-488B-A13A-ACAAD5D80C7C.jpeg
3196646F-74E7-4641-A259-7F392D87AAFD.jpeg
2BD84F2E-3069-4CEF-B389-A666C483264F.jpeg
A5E95378-43D8-40E2-8610-CD929FE23CB6.jpeg
For the rattle below the dash trim, this autofanatic video may help.

Sponsored