Upgrade your Ecoboost Mustang to GT350-level power

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
Interesting article.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/ego-boost-your-ecoboost-210hp-turbo-swap/

"Turbonetics designed a twin-scroll turbo that they say can replace the stock unit in an hour or so using only hand tools. Thanks to a larger 52-millimeter compressor wheel and Inconel turbine side with dual ceramic ball bearings helping everything spin smoothly, dyno testing has shown the new turbo can boost power up to 520 or so with a retune—and that’s pushing the same 20 psi of boost. If true, that puts any ordinary four-banger Mustang right around the same 526 horsepower of a new GT350"

https://turboneticsinc.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=744
Sponsored

Last edited:

bullcity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
90whp Increase with the following mods:

Aftermarket Intake, Full exhaust w/ high flow cats, Aftermarket Intercooler, PCV / Catch Can Upgrade and COBB Accessport

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder just how well it would hold together with no internal mods.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
They call this upgrade the Eco-Boom.....no pun intended…...

Hinzel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
there's no question you will blow your engine to pieces if you just bolt that turbo on to your factory block and try to make it ~500 whp. pretty much all tuners are limiting the factory block to 400 whp, and even still, it seems like you should only be running that if you are using meth/e85/e30, and you aren't terribly concerned with long term reliability

350-375 whp seems to be a great yet conservative figure for the factory block. there are also a decent number of supporting mods needed (intercooler, 3" exhaust, waste gate, etc....)

Sponsored

OP
OP
Maggneto

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
there's no question you will blow your engine to pieces if you just bolt that turbo on to your factory block and try to make it ~500 whp. pretty much all tuners are limiting the factory block to 400 whp, and even still, it seems like you should only be running that if you are using meth/e85/e30, and you aren't terribly concerned with long term reliability

350-375 whp seems to be a great yet conservative figure for the factory block. there are also a decent number of supporting mods needed (intercooler, 3" exhaust, waste gate, etc....)
They say a custom tune is required along with the Turbo and the boost remains the same.

Most of the Ecobooms did not have a Turbo upgrade?

It will be interesting to see how this setup holds up. The UPR EB has been killing it for years.

Hinzel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
They say a custom tune is required along with the Turbo and the boost remains the same.

Most of the Ecobooms did not have a Turbo upgrade?

It will be interesting to see how this setup holds up. The UPR EB has been killing it for years.
lots of ecobooms had turbo upgrades. big turbos for the ecoboost have been around for a while. main failure seems to be a crack in the wall between cylinders 2 and 3, a bent/broken rod, or a head gasket failure

custom tune is a given. if you are doing any mods to your EB, it's one of the better investments you can make, especially for making good/safe power levels

there are a reason the tuners are limiting the factory block to 400 whp. check out this link, which includes the turbo you are referencing (as well as supporting mods):
https://adamtuned.myshopify.com/col...-power-package-for-2015-ford-ecoboost-mustang

"This package is THE answer to "what do I need to max out my stock engine?" It includes literally everything you need to safely get the most power out of your vehicle. If you are looking to make more than what we are listing here you will want to look into our built crate engine offerings!"

there are plenty of opinions of tune+ on here, both positive and negative, i won't get into that. you will find other tuners using the same limits, there is a reason for that....

OP
OP
Maggneto

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
lots of ecobooms had turbo upgrades. big turbos for the ecoboost have been around for a while. main failure seems to be a crack in the wall between cylinders 2 and 3, a bent/broken rod, or a head gasket failure

custom tune is a given. if you are doing any mods to your EB, it's one of the better investments you can make, especially for making good/safe power levels

there are a reason the tuners are limiting the factory block to 400 whp. check out this link, which includes the turbo you are referencing (as well as supporting mods):
https://adamtuned.myshopify.com/col...-power-package-for-2015-ford-ecoboost-mustang

"This package is THE answer to "what do I need to max out my stock engine?" It includes literally everything you need to safely get the most power out of your vehicle. If you are looking to make more than what we are listing here you will want to look into our built crate engine offerings!"

there are plenty of opinions of tune+ on here, both positive and negative, i won't get into that. you will find other tuners using the same limits, there is a reason for that....
I have been following Ecoboom threads since the beginning of the Ecobooms in 2015 on 2 EB forums and dont recall many Turbo upgraded Ecobooms. I stopped following Ecoboom threads in 2017 so maybe there have been many Turbo upgraded Ecobooms on Facebook ?

Adam has many Ecobooms as do some other tuners while some tuners like Lund and LMR have a lot less, or had a lot less Ecobooms when I stopped reading the threads.

Adam in particular has been very critical of the 2.3 engine block, especially the Valencia block after blowing a good number of those engines. He had a theory that the Valencia engines were defective and that the Cleveland blocks were better. Of course that was not the case and tuned Cleveland engines started to go boom just like the Valencia blocks. That is when Adam left M6G for Facebook.

The UPR EB has been setting records for years without any issues.

I don't want to turn this into an Ecoboom or tuner bashing thread,

Last edited:

Hinzel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
i did not bash any tuners. i just stated what most tuners are saying is the safe limit for the factory block, and provided a link to a well known EB tuner as a reference

if you put that turbo on, it's probably wise to not go above the stated figures without risking blowing your engine. build your engine if you want to go higher. you are out of pocket 8k if it blows up. but it is your car, so do what you like with it

RichBrew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue EBPP
Vehicle Showcase

Agree, there is plenty of reason for that. I happened to meet (at a mustang related even) a gentleman who works in the Cleveland plant where these motors are built. The factory routinely tests the motors up to around 480hp (crank). Somewhere around 480 is where they often start to see the head start to move. Its not coincidence that that works out to about the same as 400whp.
Sponsored