Sponsored

Upgrade to 6 piston Brembo or just get better pads?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Mine are/were blue and the pulsed a bit initially but some mild heat sessions seems to have smoothed them out a bit. Haven't worked them hard yet though.
Sponsored

65 falcon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
grahame
Vehicle(s)
65 ford falcon / Audi Q2
coming in late to this one, have you tried Mosa Frein in Belgium, they are PFC dealer and maybe able to assist with Roush upgrade discs and pads for your mustang, 378mm front 330mm rear plus matching 1792 front pads, and no big import duty to pay.
hope it helps.

bullitt2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Guard Green
I upgraded the pads on my GT to "performance pads" and found that within one season, I was back to needing more stopping power. Did the Brembo upgrade last weekend plus some cooling upgrades (brake ducts, chin splitter to redirect air flow etc.).

I don't regret doing the pads first as it was a good intermediate step as I gained more track experience but the four pistons did eventually run out of stopping power and would overheat/get spongey too quickly as my lap times got faster!

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
What pads were they?
Norm
The Perf pack pads are Ferodo DS2500 without branding. They are 7mm thick and bite good though they dust a lot and I go through them super quick like 100-120 laps or so but my track is break heavy as we know.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
You may be pushing pad temperatures up close to 550°C, which is probably a good upper limit for DS2500. Mu starts dropping off progressively faster past that point.

DS1.11 might be a better choice, though I don't know anything about noise or dust for those. More bite, and a flatter mu vs temperature plot (not starting to progressively drop off even at 700°C).

Norm

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
I have a 2018 EB PP that I installed 6 piston Brembos on. These were a huge improvement over the 4 pistons. I just installed the Vorshlag deflectors and modified my under tray with cooling ducts (cost about $10). First track event with the cooling ducts is 5/1 at Road America (USA's "Spa").
1618953700199.png

1618953759122.png

OP
OP
Walt

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT
I have a 2018 EB PP that I installed 6 piston Brembos on. These were a huge improvement over the 4 pistons. I just installed the Vorshlag deflectors and modified my under tray with cooling ducts (cost about $10). First track event with the cooling ducts is 5/1 at Road America (USA's "Spa").
Looks great, I'm willing to install a 2017 GT PP undertray but I think I would also need the PP front splitter which is unfortunately way overpriced for about 300$+. So undertray + splitter + Vorshlag kit would be 500$ excluding shipping a large package like that to me and paying duty. Might as well pick up a hose kit for that price, just don't like keep swapping the fog lights back and forth.

I might just do the upgrade to 6 Pistons and see how it goes without cooling.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Might as well pick up a hose kit
hoses tear and get pinched etc and royal hassle. The previous post is fairly elegant and costs next to nothing.

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks great, I'm willing to install a 2017 GT PP undertray but I think I would also need the PP front splitter which is unfortunately way overpriced for about 300$+. So undertray + splitter + Vorshlag kit would be 500$ excluding shipping a large package like that to me and paying duty. Might as well pick up a hose kit for that price, just don't like keep swapping the fog lights back and forth.

I might just do the upgrade to 6 Pistons and see how it goes without cooling.
I've run the 6 pistons without cooling for a couple years without problem. I use Hawk DTC-70 pads and Motul 660. But, cooling is obviously a good thing. I was going to do the GT PP under tray, but I couldn't get confirmation that it would work with the EB PP splitter. Making the ducts was not difficult. A bit time consuming (with all the pop rivets I used), but straightforward. As you probably know the Vorshlag deflectors are $130, plus $10 for a little sheet aluminum (I had the pop rivets and riveter in my tool box). The other advantage to this approach is that I believe I made these ducts a bit larger than the GT PP ducts. Here is another pic from the top.
1618963361240.png

Sponsored

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
I've run the 6 pistons without cooling for a couple years without problem. I use Hawk DTC-70 pads and Motul 660. But, cooling is obviously a good thing. I was going to do the GT PP under tray, but I couldn't get confirmation that it would work with the EB PP splitter. Making the ducts was not difficult. A bit time consuming (with all the pop rivets I used), but straightforward. As you probably know the Vorshlag deflectors are $130, plus $10 for a little sheet aluminum (I had the pop rivets and riveter in my tool box). The other advantage to this approach is that I believe I made these ducts a bit larger than the GT PP ducts. Here is another pic from the top.
1618963361240.png
Can confirm - on a 2018 (+?) EBPP or base GT, the stock nose/splitter will NOT work with the GTPP undertray. That said, the GTPP/PP2 nose/splitter (not the larger, lower PP2 splitter) is an easy bolt-on to the EBPP/base GT.

There is also some minor trimming required on the EBPP splash shield to let air through from the tunnel-duct thing, but that's easy with tin snips, etc.

What you've got looks like a great solution for someone who isn't interested in using the factory PP2 splitter, or doesn't want to upgrade the base splitter/tray to the PP parts. Nice job!

OP
OP
Walt

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT
Definitely seems like a solid solution you got there. I might look into doing the same in the future, but I'll probably just run it without cooling first, with some Powerstop track day pads installed and see how it goes.

If you could follow this up with the results after your track day at Road America, that'd be great.

OP
OP
Walt

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT
I have everything on order for the upgrade to 6 Piston Brembo's, now I'm just looking at pad options. Anyone tried the Powerstop track day pads? Can I use a set of both front and rear? I heard our cars prefer a staggered setup, but they don't offer that so I'm wondering if that's a problem with the Powerstops? For street driving I was looking at their Z26 compound, so I can just swap them on the same rotors for now.

I have looked at Gloc/Carbotech pads before but those are just a bit too expensive for the amount of tracking I do. A complete front/rear set of Powerstop track day pads is 230$ so you really can't beat that price. I do less than 10 track days a year so one or 2 sets should last me a year.

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have everything on order for the upgrade to 6 Piston Brembo's, now I'm just looking at pad options. Anyone tried the Powerstop track day pads? Can I use a set of both front and rear? I heard our cars prefer a staggered setup, but they don't offer that so I'm wondering if that's a problem with the Powerstops? For street driving I was looking at their Z26 compound, so I can just swap them on the same rotors for now.

I have looked at Gloc/Carbotech pads before but those are just a bit too expensive for the amount of tracking I do. A complete front/rear set of Powerstop track day pads is 230$ so you really can't beat that price. I do less than 10 track days a year so one or 2 sets should last me a year.
I just did an event at Road America with Hawk DTC-70 front, and HP Plus rear, $270 total from TireRack. Worked great.
Sponsored