Sponsored

Upgrade to 6 piston Brembo or just get better pads?

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I've got the powerstop Z26 pads and they suck. Much more peddle effort for stopping than the stock pads. The only reason I keep them is they really do not dust. I took them off and then back on due to the stock pads dusting.

Might think about going with 2 piece rotors on the rear for better cooling.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Walt

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT
I just did an event at Road America with Hawk DTC-70 front, and HP Plus rear, $270 total from TireRack. Worked great.
Good to hear, I'll look into it. How was your track day? Did the cooling ducts help?

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
Good to hear, I'll look into it. How was your track day? Did the cooling ducts help?
Must have. No braking issues at all. Still need to sort out engine/oil cooling (different thread), but brakes were great.

OP
OP
Walt

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT
I've got the powerstop Z26 pads and they suck. Much more peddle effort for stopping than the stock pads. The only reason I keep them is they really do not dust. I took them off and then back on due to the stock pads dusting.

Might think about going with 2 piece rotors on the rear for better cooling.
So would you recommend getting the OEM ones (Ferodo DS2500) instead? They are more expensive but if you say the Z26 are crappy pads, then it might end up costing more to replace them. I'm a spirited driver so the pads I need are not just for regular daily driving. Need something that can bring me to a stop from a pull on the autobahn. I will have a separate set of track duty pads.

Last edited:

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So would you recommend getting the OEM ones (Ferodo DS2500) instead? They are more expensive but if you say the Z26 are crappy pads, then it might end up costing more to replace them. I'm a spirited driver so the pads I need are not just for regular daily driving. Need something that can bring me to a stop from a pull on the autobahn. I will have a separate set of track duty pads.
I ran a set of the OE pads when I first installed the Brembos. They actually held up pretty well to some track use. The other advantage of these is they are quiet. A track focused pad will most likely squeal around town.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Walt

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT
I ran a set of the OE pads when I first installed the Brembos. They actually held up pretty well to some track use. The other advantage of these is they are quiet. A track focused pad will most likely squeal around town.
What do you run now as a street pad? Or do you use the same track HAWK pads on the street?

OP
OP
Walt

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT
the DS2500 dust HEAVILY. but are otherwise lovely pads on street and on HPDE-efforts.
As long as the dust isn't corrosive/harsh on the finish, I don't really mind since the stock pads for the 4 piston's dust a lot too. The dust comes right of though even when left for months so not an issue. If the DS2500 pads are like that too, I might use those instead.

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What do you run now as a street pad? Or do you use the same track HAWK pads on the street?
Honestly, I don't remember what I bought last time for street pads? However, I did leave the DTC-70s in for now. Working from home most days and as the weather warms I drive the GT Vert a bit some too, so the Eco doesn't see that many street miles now.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
So would you recommend getting the OEM ones (Ferodo DS2500) instead?
If you want good stopping power, yes. If you are after no dust then the Z26's are OK

I put them back on due to dust and they are easy on my 1000 dollar rotors.

I've got Glok 10F 8R for track.

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
As long as the dust isn't corrosive/harsh on the finish, I don't really mind since the stock pads for the 4 piston's dust a lot too. The dust comes right of though even when left for months so not an issue. If the DS2500 pads are like that too, I might use those instead.
Stock PP = DS2500, dust washes right off.
Sponsored