Sponsored

Upgrade to 6 piston Brembo or just get better pads?

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT
Hi all, since my last track day (back in august) my OEM rotors and pads are in need of replacing. I've only done like 5 track days total now and the last one was definitely the longest and hardest on my car. After 4 x 25min sessions on Spa Francorchamps my rotors and pads were done. The rear rotors are pretty much ready for the bin. I drive in normal or sport mode since I don't feel comfortable enough turning traction control etc off so there is some additional wear because of that.

I want to keep tracking my car, (about 5-10 times a year) but obviously don't want to replace my brakes after every track day. To deal with the overheating issue,
I'm debating whether I should get the 6 Piston brembo's for my Mustang Ecoboost Performance pack or just get a set of track pads for my 4 piston calipers. The rotors are inverted so adding cooling isn't really an option I think.

In both cases I was looking to get dedicated track pads and (blank) rotors so I don't wear my street gear on the track and vice versa. I was looking at getting Powerstop Track day pads and Zimmermann coated rotors. I've looked into Carbotech/GLoc too but those would set me back about 7-800$ per set since I have to either import them from the US or the UK so not really worth it.

Now my question is, would getting the 6 piston Brembo's be a big improvement in terms of durability and dealing with the heat? Or would I still face the same issues and be better of just getting track pads for the 4 pistons and replacing those more often?

20200815_172448.jpg
20200815_164129.jpg
20200821_152536.jpg
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
the standard GT rotors can't cool properly because the vanes are on the wrong side. What you need is proper cooling (the 6-pots and rotors help in this regard) and a source of air. My EB/PP wouldn't accept the GT/PP undertray with it's 'dished' underside. I put the 6-pots on my EB, and PP1 lateral links with their air-deflectors on the EB and put dryer-vent (yes, the thing that dries clothes) and cut a hole and mounted them to the undertray and placed them in-line of the PP deflectors to 'ram air' into the otherwise sheltered area.

2020-06-01-10-41-44-jpg.jpg

Last edited:

blind*guardian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
In addition to the need for dedicated track pads, I think the biggest issue with the 4 piston set-up is the fact that the rotors aren't properly cooled and the internal cooling channels are backward so they don't actually provide any cooling. The street pads that come with the base GT (or PP Ecoboost) also will not last long on a track. So I think that you'd be perfectly fine just addressing those two items and saving some money in the process.

I have the 4 piston setup and think that the stopping power is perfectly fine, just need to have good cooling and good pads. Once my pads go, I'll just put on better pads and probably upgrade to two-piece (lighter) rotors.

blind*guardian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
the standard GT rotors can't cool properly because the vanes are on the wrong side. What you need is proper cooling (the 6-pots and rotors help in this regard) and a source of air. My EB/PP wouldn't accept the GT/PP undertray with it's 'dished' underside. I put the 6-pots on my EB, and PP1 lateral links with their air-deflectors on the EB and put dryer-vent (yes, the thing that dries clothes) and cut a hole and mounted them to the undertray and placed them in-line of the PP deflectors to 'ram air' into the otherwise sheltered area.
if you don't mind, could you take a picture of the setup when you have some time? I'm not 100% following, but would certainly want to improve the cooling if it's not too difficult.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Walt

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT
if you don't mind, could you take a picture of the setup when you have some time? I'm not 100% following, but would certainly want to improve the cooling if it's not too difficult.
Wanted to ask the same, I was looking at the JLT Brake duct kit but that will remove the fog lights (which are the DRL on our EU cars) so that's not really an option. I could remove it after the track day but that would get tiresome.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
does the pic above not illustrate sufficiently?
if you want to stick with the 4-pots, you just need rotors that have vents on the inside. There are a couple of options but I don't remember which they are off the top of my head. Most (all?) of the 2-piece solutions though have the correct cooling, but of course are a bit spendy.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
you can often get the calipers and rotors off Ebay (Shelby America's auctions) for like $600 or so.
I picked up a set of 6 piston Brembo new take offs from Shelby America's auctions for sub $400 plus $60 shipping.

OP
OP
Walt

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT
does the pic above not illustrate sufficiently?
if you want to stick with the 4-pots, you just need rotors that have vents on the inside. There are a couple of options but I don't remember which they are off the top of my head. Most (all?) of the 2-piece solutions though have the correct cooling, but of course are a bit spendy.
I wrote my answer before your picture loaded I think. Getting 2 piece rotors is probably more expensive than just getting the Brembo's with blanks so I think I will just bite the bullet and upgrade. If I piece everything out myself on Tascaparts, it's quite a bit cheaper than getting the Ford performance kit.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I wrote my answer before your picture loaded I think. Getting 2 piece rotors is probably more expensive than just getting the Brembo's with blanks so I think I will just bite the bullet and upgrade. If I piece everything out myself on Tascaparts, it's quite a bit cheaper than getting the Ford performance kit.
So you do need the Brembo for sure look how much your local ford dealer is asking for parts
Only Calipers + master cylinder no need to buy OEM rotors when you can get better once from the after market.
For better break pads Hawk DTC-60 you can get from steeda.eu.com without import taxes as they have a new shop in europe but they are moving stock at the moment so delivery is slow.

Get a set of DBA Slotted rotors as well from steeda.eu.com slotted rotors help with temperature as the slots allow for it to escape faster not better on pads life but you are going to replace that often.
However OEM disks are also an option they are around 270 Euro for 1 so a set is around 1100 euro.

Stainless steel braided brake lines are a must if you are driving on the track as well and for temperature they also help. And finally add Ether Castrol SRF (expensive) or Motul RBF660 (cheap but need bleeding often) break fluid.

So this is the plan:

1. Brembo calipers + Master Cylinder - Ford Dealer (unknown)
2. Hawk-DCT60 break pads - steeda.eu.com (500-600 Euro)
3. DBA Slotted Rotors - steeda.eu.com (1500-1800 Euro) or OEM PP rotors (1100 euro)
4. Stainless Steel break lines - steeda.eu.com (320 Euro)
5. Motul RBF660 - 50-60 euro you need 2 bottles.

I hope this helps.

Also where is the video from Spa I'm planning to go there ether this or next season so a video of a Mustang around track will help.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
1. Brembo calipers + Master Cylinder - Ford Dealer (unknown)
2. Hawk-DCT60 break pads - steeda.eu.com (500-600 Euro)
3. DBA Slotted Rotors - steeda.eu.com (1500-1800 Euro) or OEM PP rotors (1100 euro)
4. Stainless Steel break lines - steeda.eu.com (320 Euro)
5. Motul RBF660 - 50-60 euro you need 2 bottles.
Sweet jeezus those prices are insane. Have you looked at any other US vendors that might ship to Europe?