Upgrade rear GT to 4 piston brembos

NewTekBuzz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT 6M
Does anyone have a parts list to upgrade rear GT to to 4 piston brembos? (GT350?) I’m not paying the 3k+ for the kits.
Thanks in advance
Tim
Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Ideally you'd need a whole new braking system front to rear. Mismatching calipers on a car like this isn't a good idea. You can buy a full kit from Wilwood or Baer but be prepared to pay also. If your reason is only for looks, paint the rear calipers or something. There's no need for more rear brake performance wise on the street. Majority of the braking comes from the front. The full GT350 system is a different matter. It's made to withstand tracking the car for longer durations. But even those who track their Mustang GTs most find no need to change out the rear brakes. Rotors and track pads, fluid is all that is needed.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
You could be ginormous brakes on the rear but with a front engine car, the majority of brake bias is toward the front, meaning you'll just be dragging around more weight for no benefit.

If you're doing it for the looks, so be it, but if you don't upgrade the front, the benefits will be either negligible or zero.

OP
OP
NewTekBuzz

NewTekBuzz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT 6M
Ok so… I’ve already upgraded the fronts to 6 pistons. Also, running a gen 3 whipple…
99 out of a 100 people In this forum will already know the front breaks do most the work, I’m not looking for lessons or opinions… just a parts list. I don’t mean any disrespect and I’m not looking to get into a debate.

Sponsored

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
there is the full Ford OEM GT350R kit available, fronts and rears plus rear hubs and upgraded driveshafts (handy for those running boost) and even comes with fully loaded calipers. Looks stunning, obv and you know it's a balanced braking system designed for the s550. If i had the money i'd get it myself

offroadkarter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadkarter.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Ok so… I’ve already upgraded the fronts to 6 pistons. Also, running a gen 3 whipple…
99 out of a 100 people In this forum will already know the front breaks do most the work, I’m not looking for lessons or opinions… just a parts list. I don’t mean any disrespect and I’m not looking to get into a debate.

The short answer is, AFAIK, there is no other option for a brembo rear brake kit aside from the GT350/350R setup. It changes the style of parking brake which adds to the complexity/cost of the install. My other thought, which I haven't deep dove into, since the 350/350R use those floating 2 piece rotors, is there a rotor set out there I could get to match the front factory PP brembos with the rear 350/350R setup?

This has been on my mind since I bought my car, looking at my brothers 392 scat pack challenger which has brembos front and rear from the factory, meanwhile I've got the 1 pot jobbies on the back.

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
The short answer is, AFAIK, there is no other option for a brembo rear brake kit aside from the GT350/350R setup. It changes the style of parking brake which adds to the complexity/cost of the install. My other thought, which I haven't deep dove into, since the 350/350R use those floating 2 piece rotors, is there a rotor set out there I could get to match the front factory PP brembos with the rear 350/350R setup?

This has been on my mind since I bought my car, looking at my brothers 392 scat pack challenger which has brembos front and rear from the factory, meanwhile I've got the 1 pot jobbies on the back.
the addition of the drum in disk parking brake does add some complexity but it also removes that stupid handbrake caliper which is in itself a complex (and hateful!) piece of kit. The kit is certainly a expensive addition but can it be bettered with what it includes ? OP could get some money back for his front brembos

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
I don’t want to break up your post, but I think you meant “brakes”. I apologize, but it’s one of my emotional “triggers”. :giggle: Enjoy the build.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t want to break up your post, but I think you meant “brakes”. I apologize, but it’s one of my emotional “triggers”. :giggle:
Control the emotions that's what grownups do.

Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does anyone have a parts list to upgrade rear GT to to 4 piston brembos? (GT350?) I’m not paying the 3k+ for the kits.
Thanks in advance
Tim
You may want to try a large salvage (junk yard). They have a database parts of other yards around the country. I’ve found all kinds of odd stuff that way, and you can get all the bits.

Last edited:

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

The craziest part is the single piston rear/6 piston PP front setups are proven equal to the GT350R performance maybe better in some configurations. If performance metrics of the 350R are what the op is after, that may be the ticket. 100% agree the single piston rear caliper is not flattering at all but apparently very effective.

Last edited: