Sponsored

Upgrade or switch cars? (DD, occasional track)

'19Bullitt.32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
I have a '19 Bullitt. Stock. Original 4S tires.

Took it out on track for the first time at a Track Night USA Daytona event. This was not my first time on this road course.

Good:

Transmission. Tall gearing & wide rpm range doesn't demand much shifting. Auto rev match is great. No heat issues.

Axle. No heat issues. Watched the guage. Kept it to about 140 mph.

Engine cooling. No problems. Shifted at 6500 rpm, cruised in 5th, sometimes 6th on the oval to give it a break. More than enough power.

Brakes. Got Motul 600 to replace fluid but life got in the way and I didn't have time. Even so, brakes were great.

Mixed:

Aero. Had a bad spin off the bus stop. Car felt stable at 140, never got light, though hood movement made me nervous.

Bad:

Weight. Car is heavy, brakes / 255 mm tires can only do so much.

Handling. Lots of understeer. Staggard tire set up causes some of it. Car already tramlines a little. Would even more with wider tires on front. (275 / 285 mm I'm willing to do)

Stability. Car is stable enough until limits are approached. Then car doesn't take set / hunker down / firm up. It prefers to roll and slide.

Question:

I'm debating improving the handling of this car or getting another.

- 305 mm tires in this car or a Mach One HP is a no-go. Too much tramlining and I often drive in downpours. (I've driven one)

- Camaro 2SS 1LE
- Toyota Supra manual made in Austria.

Do you guys think there are a few mods that can button-down my Bullitt and make it more fun to drive?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
Get the manual BMW Supra if you trade.
I don't mod so maybe someone can comment on specific mods that would help you on the Bullitt.

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
A wider square set up will help out. Going 305s all the way around and upgrading the suspension will definitely be cheaper then buying another car.

Now if you’re looking for a car with much better track feel I would consider a GT350 GT500 from the Ford stable. GM i would highly consider a C5Z or C6Z because of weight to power ratio and performance. But it all comes down to what route you want to go and what you’re looking for in a car. I still play with the idea of picking up a C5Z every so often.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
The list of core mods to fix most obvious issues that you have observed is pretty simple and relatively not very expensive. Btw, you can still use 305 tires for track and keep your 255/275 for street. Do you have magneride?

Let me know if you want me to share the details and BOM. I have a GT that is spec'd same as Bullit (aside from color) and I am pretty happy with the outcomes of what I have accomplished so far.

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Can you make it handle better? Sure. But it doesn't sound like you're all that into the car itself nor do you seem to want to compromise steerability in order to achieve it.

The 1LE would be a bit better but it's still a heavy pig. Honestly I'd say go to the Supra, you won't get what you want out of the car with your self set limitations.

OP
OP

'19Bullitt.32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
The list of core mods to fix most obvious issues that you have observed is pretty simple and relatively not very expensive. Btw, you can still use 305 tires for track and keep your 255/275 for street. Do you have magneride?

Let me know if you want me to share the details and BOM. I have a GT that is spec'd same as Bullit (aside from color) and I am pretty happy with the outcomes of what I have accomplished so far.
Yes the car has MR.

That's true, a spare set of wheels & tires is cheaper than another car.

I do enjoy the car as a daily for the most part, but miss the sharper handling I've enjoyed in previous cars. I like the seat, sound system, (B.O.) and even use the CD player.

I wish it didn't have speaker-augmented exhaust sounds, even though it sounds good.

It does seem if I want to avoid the weight and tank-like cabin of the Camaro I'm left with the Supra or a C7 Corvette.

I'm concerned the C6 Corvettes are too old to be a reliable DD.

A Corvette turn-off is how low to the road they are. I drive over pieces of cars, tire carcasses, and other debris in the road at 80 mph regularly.

OP
OP

'19Bullitt.32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Is it possible to run 275's all-around? I realize I'd have to change front wheels, and I'm guessing the offset from the factory rears won't work on the front.

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
Yes the car has MR.

That's true, a spare set of wheels & tires is cheaper than another car.

I do enjoy the car as a daily for the most part, but miss the sharper handling I've enjoyed in previous cars. I like the seat, sound system, (B.O.) and even use the CD player.

I wish it didn't have speaker-augmented exhaust sounds, even though it sounds good.

It does seem if I want to avoid the weight and tank-like cabin of the Camaro I'm left with the Supra or a C7 Corvette.

I'm concerned the C6 Corvettes are too old to be a reliable DD.

A Corvette turn-off is how low to the road they are. I drive over pieces of cars, tire carcasses, and other debris in the road at 80 mph regularly.
The LS motor is a stout motor and DD a corvette is very reliable. My experience is with a C5 and it was nitrous fed. I bought it with 28K miles and sold it with 138K miles. The LS based motors are solid performers on track and on the street. Parts are way cheap also. You do a cam and FBO LS7 and you’re looking at a 7500rpm 600+ rwhp reliable DD.

slowdown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP, 2021 GMC Sierra 1500 Elevation Duramax
The Supra manual would be sick.

Sponsored
OP
OP

'19Bullitt.32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
The LS motor is a stout motor and DD a corvette is very reliable. My experience is with a C5 and it was nitrous fed. I bought it with 28K miles and sold it with 138K miles. The LS based motors are solid performers on track and on the street. Parts are way cheap also. You do a cam and FBO LS7 and you’re looking at a 7500rpm 600+ rwhp reliable DD.
I see.

I'm mainly going by the experiences of people I've known who had Corvettes.

Engines & transmissions were fine but there were issues from clutches, AC, blend doors, fluid leaks, warning lights, guage problems, interiors coming apart, that sort of thing. I can't put up with that in a DD.

As for power I'm fine with 300-450 hp in a RWD street car weight dependent.

OP
OP

'19Bullitt.32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
The Supra manual would be sick.
I have my reservations regarding their durability (BMW / Magna Steyr) and future repair costs.

They are also a weird mix of cool & ugly that unfortunately attracts lots of attention. I don't like attention.

But it's one of the top performers in my price range and one of the lightest.

From most to least attention around here among these cars:

Supra (most out of these) (men & women)
1LE Camaro (guys)
C7 Corvette (guys, a few low-class women)
Mach One Mustang (guys)
Bullitt Mustang (guys)

TopJimmyCooks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Prem PP; 2019 EcoBoost Prem
Vehicle Showcase
How often do you intend to run it on the track? Once or twice a year, I'd just change the pads, fluid, get grippier tires, and have fun. It costs big $$$ to start buying time reduction. But you are correct that 255's are on the lower end of traction. That said, I'm running staggered setup still (275f, 305r) and having tons of fun. The recommendation, pretty universally, is square 305's are the way to go. On your car you should be able to do that by getting longer studs and spacers in front and then you can rotate the wheels. Apex Race Parts has a great fitment guide on their site: https://support.apexraceparts.com/h...5483093-S550-Mustang-Wheel-Tire-Fitment-Guide

OP
OP

'19Bullitt.32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
How often do you intend to run it on the track? Once or twice a year, I'd just change the pads, fluid, get grippier tires, and have fun. It costs big $$$ to start buying time reduction. But you are correct that 255's are on the lower end of traction. That said, I'm running staggered setup still (275f, 305r) and having tons of fun. The recommendation, pretty universally, is square 305's are the way to go. On your car you should be able to do that by getting longer studs and spacers in front and then you can rotate the wheels. Apex Race Parts has a great fitment guide on their site: https://support.apexraceparts.com/h...5483093-S550-Mustang-Wheel-Tire-Fitment-Guide
Thanks, I'll check that out.

Not really looking to reduce times, just make the car handle better so it's more fun.

1 to 4 track days a year.

f00man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang M1 HP
- 305 mm tires in this car or a Mach One HP is a no-go. Too much tramlining and I often drive in downpours. (I've driven one)

- Camaro 2SS 1LE
- Toyota Supra manual made in Austria.
The tramlining was the on thing I disliked about my M1 HP. It all went away once I swapped out the tires to the Pilot Sports 4S. Drives and handles like a dream now. đź‘Ś

I'm thinking of pickinh up an extra set of wheels with Pilot Cup 2s for the track. But we'll see.
Sponsored