Sponsored

Fordified

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several Mustangs thru the years
I find a lot of folks that constantly put Ford down as "cheap" or "parts bin", etc, etc are folks that really are envious of those of us that can actually afford the Mach I without a problem. Most of us are older in our 50s to 70s. We don't connect with these minor whiny complaints.

We drive the car. Keep it a while and get another. All this while some on this forum look for the fly in the ointment. It is actually an indication of dissatisfaction in other parts of life as well just exhibited on this forum. Likely the Facebook, Instagram, etc mirrors this bellyaching.
Amen to that brother!
From the pulpit of the Church of Holy Horsepower and Eternal Combustion........
Sponsored

OP
OP
raidernixon

raidernixon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 & 16 GT; 20 GT500 CFTP; 21 Mach 1
The calibration in the VDM module as well as the ABS module is no doubt unique to the HP Mach due to the tire/wheel combination in comparison to non-HP Mach 1's.
Do you happen to know if this would result in a different part number for the VDM and ABS module? Or would it be the same part number, but a matter of recalibrating them to HP specs (if thats possible?)? This is one of my weak areas of knowledge with these cars that I'd like to learn a bit more about.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Do you happen to know if this would result in a different part number for the VDM and ABS module? Or would it be the same part number, but a matter of recalibrating them to HP specs (if thats possible?)? This is one of my weak areas of knowledge with these cars that I'd like to learn a bit more about.
If they're anything like ECUs, the module would be the same. But I really wouldn't count on being able to reflash them.

Time was when you wanted to change an EFI tune you had to burn a whole new chip.

Norm

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
I'm thinking you might be able to do this with Forscan

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Norm is right. The physical modules are the same. The difference comes from the files flashed to the module via Ford's software/hardware. Ford service tools sometimes make it a challenge to load files from different option group (such as loading a CFTP GT500 VDM calibration into a Base GT500 VDM) into a given module when the VIN says no, you cannot do that (and must find a way around it).

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I spent some time comparing control modules at the Ford ETIS website, as well as downloading As-Built data from Motorcraft's site. I used the VIN from the first Handling Package Mach 1 to come down the assembly line and a non Handling Package Mach 1. I did a side by side of each and highlighted some relevant control modules (in the context of this discussion anyway). The non-HP car was built on 1/07/21 and the HP car was built on 3/04/21.

MACH CONTROL MODULE COMPARISON.jpg

The above shows the same part numbers.

I then ran the two As-Built files through a comparator to see if there were any differences at specific addresses. I found that not all of these are configured the same as much as the above might lead you conclude that they are.

So for example, in the Powertrain Control Module, I see differences at the 7EO-163-04 address. I haven't looked to see if this is mapped out yet and thus what the specific function may be here. The respective VINS are differentiated by color on the left. Note the specific numeric changes highlighted in yellow.

PCM COMPARATOR.JPG

The ABS As-Built showed differences at the 760-01-02, 760-01-03, and 760-01-04 addresses.

ABS COMPARATOR.JPG

Power Steering Control Module showed no difference in As-Built configuration.

POWER STEERING CONTROL MODULE COMPARATOR.JPG

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
So I spent some time comparing control modules at the Ford ETIS website, as well as downloading As-Built data from Motorcraft's site. I used the VIN from the first Handling Package Mach 1 to come down the assembly line and a non Handling Package Mach 1. I did a side by side of each and highlighted some relevant control modules (in the context of this discussion anyway). The non-HP car was built on 1/07/21 and the HP car was built on 3/04/21.

I then ran the two As-Built files through a comparator to see if there were any differences at specific addresses. I found that not all of these are configured the same as much as the above might lead you conclude that they are.

So for example, in the Powertrain Control Module, I see differences at the 7EO-163-04 address. I haven't looked to see if this is mapped out yet and thus what the specific function may be here. The respective VINS are differentiated by color on the left. Note the specific numeric changes highlighted in yellow.

PCM COMPARATOR.JPG

The ABS As-Built showed differences at the 760-01-02, 760-01-03, and 760-01-04 addresses.

ABS COMPARATOR.JPG

Thank you for this excellent information. Is there a way for you to look and see what rear axle ratios are built into the BCM?

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
raidernixon

raidernixon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 & 16 GT; 20 GT500 CFTP; 21 Mach 1

PCM COMPARATOR.JPG

ABS COMPARATOR.JPG

Boy do I have a lot to learn on this aspect. Fortunately I am good with computers but have never had any interest in applying that to cars. Looks like I've got no choice!

I did a quick search and it seems like in some instances, especially with the ABS module addresses you listed, that some of that information is the VIN in HEX readout. Without really knowing what I am talking about, is it possible that the differences in the code are just VIN information, rather than performance altering data?

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Each VIN is indeed located within the AB data and in hex to boot, yes. The last question...there are sometimes outright differences in module calibrations and other times just minor differences in a given configuration. Read up on FORScan and you'll likely pick it up quick. One of the things you may want to turn off is the God awfully annoying "double horn honk." It's an easy change to start with.
Sponsored