Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Because it’s still suboptimal

But being “good enough for you” still doesn’t change the fact that it’s not special and that any Mustang can relatively easily be made to perform just like a GT350 with little work, and that’s the whole point of this conversation
Sponsored

racingandfishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Because it’s still suboptimal

But being “good enough for you” still doesn’t change the fact that it’s not special and that any Mustang can relatively easily be made to perform just like a GT350 with little work, and that’s the whole point of this conversation
I am just a GT owner, but there is far more than meets the eye between a base GT (let alone an Ecoboost) and a GT350.

We all know that Ford only discloses the major differences on any type of performance package. Even with something as simple as PP1 in 2015, they didn't disclose the different front control arms, rear toe links, brake booster, strut tower mounts and more in the initial documents. Sure they became available later, but maybe there are some things they left off the table even without finding a way to prove that the electronics aren't tweaked. Even the GT350R was found to have different engine components than the the GT350 that were never fully disclosed and pretty much kept a secret.

I would guarantee that if you start trying to build a GT350 from scratch, you will find far more part numbers are different than you think - even excluding the electronics.

Hate to say, but I think most are thinking it....put your money where your mouth is and prove it. Upgrade a base GT with all of the parts that you think are bolt-on's and put your car and a stock GT350 in the hands of a professional driver and let them compare lap times!

Then when it is over, tally up what you spent and compare the resale values. I think you will find these cars are a little more special than you think.

Last edited:
OP
OP
raidernixon

raidernixon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 & 16 GT; 20 GT500 CFTP; 21 Mach 1
Cant we all just be friends? 🙃

Here's a somewhat off topic distraction - look at the savage remains of what used to be the clutch in the 16 GT we had out there as well. It appears the clutch cylinder exploded.
Resized_20210308_144359.jpeg

Something never felt quite right with the clutch in that car ever since we got it brand new (it would catch the flywheel when the pedal was about 80-90% off of the floor). A new clutch was installed today and it feels 100% different (it now catches when the pedal is about 20% off the floor), so I am not sure if there was a problem that has been around for a long time and showed itself under track condition abuse.

Ok - back to discussing Mach 1s...

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I think we all have to be thankful to the OP for ordering a Mach 1 before the Handling Pack was available. The OP is a true pioneer for being the first to track a Mach 1 and share his experiences with us. Once the Handling Pack is available , we will have a baseline available for comparison of the first Mach 1 to track to a Mach 1 with the Handling Pack.

albanygt40

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
dave
Vehicle(s)
82 Mustang, 70 Fastback, GT40 replica
Awesome post, thanks for sharing your track experiences, highly appreciated..

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Weight transfer seemed to be properly managed, and I feel like this is a very stable car. I ran the car in track mode the entire time and body roll, nose dive and raking seemed to be in the right places (i'll note that the body roll in my video is way exaggerated from what I actually felt).
That says a lot for the car's inherent composure.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
And this is simply foolish. There is NO structural difference between any S550 chassis, from the Ecoboost to the GT500. You actually CAN take every piece off of a GT350 and slap in on an Ecoboost, and it’ll drive exactly the same as a GT350 if you don’t let that placebo effect impact you. I’m sorry, your car isn’t as “special” as you think... it’s very replicable and replaceable
That may or may not be true . . . I strongly doubt it still holds true once the different ABS/EPAS/AdvanceTrac calibrations start to get interested in the proceedings, as those things are calibrated with respect to what the various modules think the car is still equipped with. Different tires, or differences in the braking system matter.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
If you did a Shelby brake swap on a GT (which means transferring spindles/LCAs), reflagged the EPAS and driver assist modules
Not sure what you mean by that, but I doubt it's anywhere near as simple as reflashing an engine or powertrain tune. If it's anything like the early-year S197 production EPAS, it may not even be possible. It'd be too easy for some hack "tuner" to end up creating a bigger problem under some conditions than the problem he was trying to fix for some other situation.

Norm

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
I find a lot of folks that constantly put Ford down as "cheap" or "parts bin", etc, etc are folks that really are envious of those of us that can actually afford the Mach I without a problem. Most of us are older in our 50s to 70s. We don't connect with these minor whiny complaints.

We drive the car. Keep it a while and get another. All this while some on this forum look for the fly in the ointment. It is actually an indication of dissatisfaction in other parts of life as well just exhibited on this forum. Likely the Facebook, Instagram, etc mirrors this bellyaching.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
And, WE are the ones that make the market so these whiners can buy the car used in a few years for 20K under MSRP.

You are welcome.

Sponsored

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I find a lot of folks that constantly put Ford down as "cheap" or "parts bin", etc, etc are folks that really are envious of those of us that can actually afford the Mach I without a problem. Most of us are older in our 50s to 70s. We don't connect with these minor whiny complaints.

We drive the car. Keep it a while and get another. All this while some on this forum look for the fly in the ointment. It is actually an indication of dissatisfaction in other parts of life as well just exhibited on this forum. Likely the Facebook, Instagram, etc mirrors this bellyaching.
Some of us have not even turned 40 :p

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
Cant we all just be friends? 🙃
Nobody is calling each other names or attacking each other, we're just debating two points of view, which I think is healthy and constructive. At the end of the day, we all enjoy our Mustangs or we wouldn't be on this site participating.
Sponsored