Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
@raiderixon, loved your track day synopsis and glad to see you using the car the way it was intended!
Sponsored

kiksbutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I have to give it to Ford for finally enabling a tow hook on the front bumper. What the hell were they thinking not including it on previous models, including PP2 and GT350. Insane.

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
UPDATE FROM INITIAL POST:
20210307_110723.jpg

Well, the Mach 1 thrived and survived it's first track day...it had about 150 miles of track time in total and 200 miles are now on the odometer. It drank about 5 to 7 mpg on aggressive laps and 10-ish MPG on less aggressive warmup/cool down laps. I didn't have time to consider a tire swap, so I did run the stock PS4S tires, which I think did pretty well overall - I cannot see any obvious wear down and will prob continue to run these until they die.

I did manage to get the gopro camera battery to cooperate for a full 2 minutes! Otherwise I would have more to share. Here is the video link (it may need a few hours to process the HD version):
2021 Mach 1 Mustang - Track Laps at MSR Houston

Overall, this car is FUN on a track. Compared to the GT500, this was less "stressful/serious" to drive on a track for the lack of better words (I am not implying by any means that the GT500 is bad - its just a completely different experience!). Maybe a good way to describe it is that the Mach 1 felt more "agile" and less heavy, whereas the GT500 is all business and deliberate.

What I can immediately say is that if you plan to track at all with the Mach 1, it may be worth your while to get/wait for the handling package UNLESS you plan on installing camber plates and different wheel/tires from stock anyways (which I do). I also highly recommend the Recaro seats. The first thing I will likely do is get a similar wheel/tire setup on it like what comes with the handling package to get more contact patch up front. Compared the the GT500 CFTP and our 2016 Mustang GT (which we have a squared 275/35/R19 setup), the "skinnies" up front on the Mach 1 did not seem to grab quite as well (understeer). It is difficult to say if it is the PS4S compound or the tire size, but the the PS4S is a good tire so I feel like tire width is likely the driving factor compared to what I prefer (a touch of oversteer), which is certainly what I get in our 16 GT.

The 6 speed transmission is awesome. It was flawless, and the rev matching was perfect in the track environment (much smoother shifts than I could ever do on my own). I will say though that the DCT in the GT500 is amazing and takes the win for me - but the Mach 1 6 speed is leagues better than our 16 GT and is much more fun to use. The Mach 1 gearbox is tight, deliberate and a touch "heavy/less forgiving", whereas our 16 GT transmission feels lighter and more forgiving. The clutch feel is a bit stiffer and precise to that of our 16 GT.

The engine note is certainly boomier and deeper than the GT500 (which I feel is more of a mean snarl). Our 16 GT has a Ford Racing/Borla catback exhaust and the Mach 1 is louder by about 20-30% in track mode.

The car is a puller - the power band is great for the track, she likes being above 5000 RPM. I was able to get this car up to 120 on the back straightaway of this track pretty easily, whereas I had to be nearly perfect in my driving line to accomplish that with the 16 GT. It is not fair to compare the pulling aspect to the GT500 - that is a completely different and breathtaking experience, but the Mach 1 holds a definite pulling edge over a regular GT.

Lastly - a few observations from a "break-in" perspective. The car did not have a break-in limp mode and it let me do whatever I wanted; however, it appears the RPM indicator/shift light will not budge from 4,000 RPM until after 1,000 miles. I did take some time to burnish the brakes/attempt to break-in the clutch before ripping it out there.

Let me know of any questions, I'll do my best to answer!

P.S. - We blew up the clutch in the 16 GT at the end of the day yesterday :frown:
thank you so much for the write up
Is it only the HP package that come with the camber plates?

What did you think of the body roll, weight transfer etc during acceleration and braking(nose dive).

Also it has has struck me that the car is the most track ready mustang and it is being delivered with leather GT-seats...! The Recaros are crazy expensive here as an option! If you are feeling that with the PS4Ss I can imagine how TW<200 tires will make you slip and slide....

OP
OP
raidernixon

raidernixon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 & 16 GT; 20 GT500 CFTP; 21 Mach 1
thank you so much for the write up
Is it only the HP package that come with the camber plates?

What did you think of the body roll, weight transfer etc during acceleration and braking(nose dive).

Also it has has struck me that the car is the most track ready mustang and it is being delivered with leather GT-seats...! The Recaros are crazy expensive here as an option! If you are feeling that with the PS4Ss I can imagine how TW<200 tires will make you slip and slide....
To be fair, I have not looked super hard at the strut mounts to see if they are adjustable, but I did a quick visual yesterday and it did not look like they were adjustable. From everything I have heard, the HP is the only offering of the adjustable plates. I will take a hard look tonight to help confirm.

Weight transfer seemed to be properly managed, and I feel like this is a very stable car. I ran the car in track mode the entire time and body roll, nose dive and raking seemed to be in the right places (iI'll note that the body roll in my video is way exaggerated from what I actually felt). There is one particular sharp corner at MSR Houston called Diamond's Edge that I intentionally utilized to try to get a feel for how loose the backend could get, and it really did not want to break into a big slide under aggressive throttle coming out of the turn. Interestingly, on broader, sweeping turns, the car seemed to be pretty sensitive to feeding it throttle, i.e. if it isn't getting enough throttle, it may want to think about going wild (in contrast, the 16 GT was getting a little pissy if I tried to feed it this much throttle on the same turn). Under threshold braking and trail braking conditions, the nose dive and weight transfer felt spot on and predictable - the back end seemed to be planted enough to stay stable (just keep feeding it more throttle than you would expect on those larger sweeping turns).

In contrast to the above (for my driving style at least) the GT500 feels like it is on rails and is doing everything it can to stay on the track, whereas the 16 GT feels a bit wild and untamed.

Sponsored

Bcobb85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
20210307_110723.jpg

Well, the Mach 1 thrived and survived it's first track day...it had about 150 miles of track time in total and 200 miles are now on the odometer. It drank about 5 to 7 mpg on aggressive laps and 10-ish MPG on less aggressive warmup/cool down laps. I didn't have time to consider a tire swap, so I did run the stock PS4S tires, which I think did pretty well overall - I cannot see any obvious wear down and will prob continue to run these until they die.

I did manage to get the gopro camera battery to cooperate for a full 2 minutes! Otherwise I would have more to share. Here is the video link (it may need a few hours to process the HD version):

Overall, this car is FUN on a track. Compared to the GT500, this was less "stressful/serious" to drive on a track for the lack of better words (I am not implying by any means that the GT500 is bad - its just a completely different experience!). Maybe a good way to describe it is that the Mach 1 felt more "agile" and less heavy, whereas the GT500 is all business and deliberate.

What I can immediately say is that if you plan to track at all with the Mach 1, it may be worth your while to get/wait for the handling package UNLESS you plan on installing camber plates and different wheel/tires from stock anyways (which I do). I also highly recommend the Recaro seats. The first thing I will likely do is get a similar wheel/tire setup on it like what comes with the handling package to get more contact patch up front. Compared the the GT500 CFTP and our 2016 Mustang GT (which we have a squared 275/35/R19 setup), the "skinnies" up front on the Mach 1 did not seem to grab quite as well (understeer). It is difficult to say if it is the PS4S compound or the tire size, but the the PS4S is a good tire so I feel like tire width is likely the driving factor compared to what I prefer (a touch of oversteer), which is certainly what I get in our 16 GT.

The 6 speed transmission is awesome. It was flawless, and the rev matching was perfect in the track environment (much smoother shifts than I could ever do on my own). I will say though that the DCT in the GT500 is amazing and takes the win for me - but the Mach 1 6 speed is leagues better than our 16 GT and is much more fun to use. The Mach 1 gearbox is tight, deliberate and a touch "heavy/less forgiving", whereas our 16 GT transmission feels lighter and more forgiving. The clutch feel is a bit stiffer and precise to that of our 16 GT.

The engine note is certainly boomier and deeper than the GT500 (which I feel is more of a mean snarl). Our 16 GT has a Ford Racing/Borla catback exhaust and the Mach 1 is louder by about 20-30% in track mode.

The car is a puller - the power band is great for the track, she likes being above 5000 RPM. I was able to get this car up to 120 on the back straightaway of this track pretty easily, whereas I had to be nearly perfect in my driving line to accomplish that with the 16 GT. It is not fair to compare the pulling aspect to the GT500 - that is a completely different and breathtaking experience, but the Mach 1 holds a definite pulling edge over a regular GT.

Lastly - a few observations from a "break-in" perspective. The car did not have a break-in limp mode and it let me do whatever I wanted; however, it appears the RPM indicator/shift light will not budge from 4,000 RPM until after 1,000 miles. I did take some time to burnish the brakes/attempt to break-in the clutch before ripping it out there.

P.S. - We blew up the clutch in the 16 GT at the end of the day yesterday :frown:

INITIAL POST:
This thing is a blast to drive. I love driving the GT500, but the Mach 1 is right up there in its own way. This one is a stick shift with recaros and the creature comforts package. No ADM on this one, but the first dealer we went to was asking 5K over.

She's filling in at the track tomorrow while the electrical gremlins in the GT500 are sorted out. I'll post some video later tomorrow if I'm able to get the gopro to cooperate.

20210306_193249.jpg

20210306_193237.jpg

20210306_192405.jpg
Great write-up man. Saw you Sunday morning going down Clear Lake City Blvd. I was in the Avalanche Gray GT350. I think we have a mutual friend in Phil Jones.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Have to ask, have you driven a GT350 on track before? I’m really curious to see how they would compare in terms of feel and response

Last edited:

fastergt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP, 2022 Ranger Lariat Tremor
20210307_110723.jpg

INITIAL POST:
This thing is a blast to drive. I love driving the GT500, but the Mach 1 is right up there in its own way. This one is a stick shift with recaros and the creature comforts package. No ADM on this one, but the first dealer we went to was asking 5K over.

She's filling in at the track tomorrow while the electrical gremlins in the GT500 are sorted out. I'll post some video later tomorrow if I'm able to get the gopro to cooperate.

20210306_193249.jpg

20210306_193237.jpg

20210306_192405.jpg
I have a question about your tow ring, is it the same threads as the 2020 GT500.

OP
OP
raidernixon

raidernixon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 & 16 GT; 20 GT500 CFTP; 21 Mach 1
Have to ask, have you driven a GT350 on track before? I’m really curious to see how they would compare in terms of feel and response
I have not had the opportunity to drive a 350, but I did get to ride as a passenger in one at the track yesterday. Passenger observations are different than what it is like from behind the wheel, but my impression is that it was essentially a faster Mach 1 with bigger brakes (not a criticism of the Mach 1 at all).

Sponsored

VictorH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Victor
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Nice driving very smooth. I take it you weren't pushing too hard as I don't hear the tires making much noise and my experience is PS4s squeal like mad at the limit. Maybe it's the microphone.
Anyway, would you describe the handling as neutral with a tendency toward understeer?
Good to hear that the rear grip is so good.
How is the steering feel? Do you get much feedback? Overboosted, under boosted?
Thanks and congrats.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
How is the steering feel? Do you get much feedback? Overboosted, under boosted?
This is a good question, and probably what I should’ve asked. Personally, the only difference in handling I’ve noticed between the GT350 and a lightly nodded GT is steering feel. The GT350 has better response and less dead-on-center feel. I always attributed that to the GT350’s improved spindle and LCA design, but I’m thinking the Mach 1’s reinforced steering shaft and updated EPAS tuning may have alleviated a lot of that

However, considering OP has a GT500, and a lot of the suspension components are similar between the 2019+ GT350 and the GT500, he might be able to give us a good basis for comparison between the steering feel of the Mach 1 vs a Shelby

Micklimey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 J0017
This is a good question, and probably what I should’ve asked. Personally, the only difference in handling I’ve noticed between the GT350 and a lightly nodded GT is steering feel. The GT350 has better response and less dead-on-center feel. I always attributed that to the GT350’s improved spindle and LCA design, but I’m thinking the Mach 1’s reinforced steering shaft and updated EPAS tuning may have alleviated a lot of that

However, considering OP has a GT500, and a lot of the suspension components are similar between the 2019+ GT350 and the GT500, he might be able to give us a good basis for comparison between the steering feel of the Mach 1 vs a Shelby
Usually I just kind of watch these threads. I’ve owned a 2015&2017 GT and two different GT350’s. My cars at least, drove nothing alike. The 350 was superior in every way except one, reliability. I even drove one at Charlotte motor speedway which was awesome by the way. Reason I was so interested in the Mach is because of the engine and handling. I went through a engine on my second 350 and would prefer not to experience that again. If the handling is on par with the 350 that would be awesome. To say that there isn’t much difference between a 350 and a slightly modded GT is a stretch.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
But there’s not

the only structural difference IS the LCA/spindle design. Everything else is all in spring rates and damping, which can be alleviated with the RIGHT parts selection on a GT
Sponsored