Updated - New Long Block for Blue Smoke on Passenger side exhaust

Expat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Vehicle(s)
2020 Convertible Mustang GT Premium
Well, Here is my story. I enjoy putting the foot to the floor when my passengers aren't searching for the o-sh*t handle (why does she always put her hand to the roof?) just as much as the next guy. No I have never been to a track, never even actuated the very cool "Burn-Em" mode (rubber is already expensive). I guess my point is, I will cruise with the auto tranny doing its thing, 79 MPH 10th gear (WTF) with the adaptive cruise doing it's thing while refraining from racing every crotch rocket on the freeway.

What I have seen is stupid traffic jams in California, and it was in one of these that I first noticed upon accelerating a very large cloud of blue smoke when I accelerated from a stop - in freeway traffic! My mind goes o crap, WTH was that? Try to repeat, nothing, what's going on.

To shorten this down, results are that after about a 20 minute normal driving mode cruise, a swift acceleration will provide a nice puff of blue smoke, every single time. There is no smoke on start-up, no smoke when cruising, (Followed my girl for a while to verify) just on acceleration, and only if the engine has not been pushed past 4,000 RPM.

OK, LMOA I know a should push it! But remember the passenger reaching for the non-existent o-sh*t handle? So my choice is keep the car calm or lose the passenger (Hmmmm)

Here is a video for your fun viewing, look forward to your comments!

Updated on page 2
Sponsored

Last edited:

beetle6986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 04 Cobra, 2008 BMW 335
Definitely something going on with that passenger side bank. How many miles on it and how much oil does it use between changes?

OP
OP
Expat

Expat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Vehicle(s)
Definitely something going on with that passenger side bank. How many miles on it and how much oil does it use between changes?
Currently has 16,850 miles, uses a qt every 1000 miles.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
Could be a lot of stuff. I would take it to the dealership. Have them inspect. Might be a bad ring. valve oil seal. Could be something up with the emissions as in a bad pvc pulling engine oil/vapor.

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
That's a lot of oil it's using. Did you break it in correctly, and carefully? I babied my GT350 for the first 1K miles and kept it under 4K rpm. Called for a lot of self-control on my part. But now I routinely drive it in the 7K-8K rpm range, with no discernable oil consumption.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Expat

Expat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Vehicle(s)
That's a lot of oil it's using. Did you break it in correctly, and carefully? I babied my GT350 for the first 1K miles and kept it under 4K rpm. Called for a lot of self-control on my part. But now I routinely drive it in the 7K-8K rpm range, with no discernable oil consumption.
I did baby it, just don’t know what happened the first 44 miles and 4 months that it sat on the dealer lot.

mrgooden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Yea, that is definitely a lot if oil consumption. 2019, 4qk miles. I literally lose little to no oil between oil changes. My catch can catches maybe a couple table spoons per oil change. But, put ear plugs in listening to it. Has a man with a hammer in it.

Richard

OP
OP
Expat

Expat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Vehicle(s)
Yea, that is definitely a lot if oil consumption. 2019, 4qk miles. I literally lose little to no oil between oil changes. My catch can catches maybe a couple table spoons per oil change. But, put ear plugs in listening to it. Has a man with a hammer in it.

Richard
I have noted that o after both of my Ford dealership oil changes I got the loud typewriter tick. The first time, I changed the oil after 2000 miles just to see if the K&N filter (prefilled with oil) and quality synthetic would eliminate it. The result was greatly improved but not eliminated. I honestly do not know if the oil service is directly related or not.

mrgooden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I do my own oil changes and have tried a lot of oil, I elinate the BBQ Tick with 5W30, but nothing eliminated the hammer man.

Richard

OP
OP
Expat

Expat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Vehicle(s)
UPDATE: Took the car to the dealer, for the first 1000 mile oil consumption check. I was informed that the car could not be given back to me, due to excessive oil loss. They hinted that I might need an engine. Further information will be given after "Heavy Duty" team gets a look at the car and talks with FOMOCO. I was given a loaner (Listed on contract as a 7 day rental) and sent home.

I really do not want an engine replaced, however if it must be done, This dealership has already proven their trustworthy skills on previous electrical repairs.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Expat

Expat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Vehicle(s)
Made up a little spreadsheet for the dealer...

1648745790239.png

beetle6986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 04 Cobra, 2008 BMW 335
I really do not want an engine replaced, however if it must be done, This dealership has already proven their trustworthy skills on previous electrical repairs.
A full quart every 1,000 miles is way too much for a car with less than 20k miles. I know it's a different manufacturer, but just for reference I had a V8 turbo engine replaced in a BMW X5 because it was using a quart every 700-1000 miles. If the issue was valvetrain related they would have done the repair at the dealer. Anything in the bottom end would simply get a new engine. In my case I don't think BMW wanted to put the $$ into diagnosis at the dealer and then have to send the engine back anyways so it just got replaced with a new long block. Truck had 90k miles on it at the time and I have 40k miles on the new engine already. I wouldn't be surprised if Ford does the same and drops a new longblock in it.

Why wouldn't you want the engine replaced? Seems like the best deal for you.

OP
OP
Expat

Expat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Vehicle(s)
Why wouldn't you want the engine replaced? Seems like the best deal for you.
I have had shoddy work completed by other dealers. In my opinion, factory install is best left alone when possible.

I am happy to have a rental, but oh My lord, the Ford Eco "Sport" is anything but SPORTY :(

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I have had shoddy work completed by other dealers. In my opinion, factory install is best left alone when possible.

I am happy to have a rental, but oh My lord, the Ford Eco "Sport" is anything but SPORTY :(
Yeah your engine is toast using that much oil though. Unless you're lucky and it's just valve stem seals.

Last edited: