Sponsored

*Updated - Cellink Battery B install* Blackvue DR650GW-2CH dash cam install w/pics

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Update: See post 150 for install instructions for the Cellink Battery B. This unit powers the camera when the car is off.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1359149&postcount=150

Weather finally got warm enough for me to install the DR650G I bought around Boxing Day. With it I installed a Power Magic Pro so I can keep power safely running to the cam when the engine is off.

Figured I'd somewhat photo document the process. It is really pretty simple, though grounding the power magic pro was a bit trying just due to the location of the fuse panel.

The DR650 is a 2 channel camera - which simply means it includes a front and rear camera. The front is 1080p, rear 720p.

Since I only just installed it, haven't had much time to play around, but so far is working as expected. It is pretty slick, you can connect to the camera via wifi (phone app) to view recorded footage, real time footage, or configure the various options.

I have a 64gig micro sd card installed.

There is gps that will display your route while watching a recorded video (this is done with desktop app). It also records date, time, and speed. Audio as well.

What I bought:
20150411_003216009_iOS_zps9zb54ygz.jpg

Front camera mounted with power cable attached. The little factory plastic wire cover is very easy to remove, just slide it up and pull it out. The camera rotates in its holder to make getting the right position very easy.

20150410_195404719_iOS_zpso9llbgh4.jpg

Tucking the power wire away. This is where the headliner meets the A-pillar. The orange tool was included for free and makes getting the wire tucked away quite simple. I did not need to remove anything to get the wire tucked away.

20150410_195453364_iOS_zpszamqvsyk.jpg

Wire tucked across the top A-pillar and starting to move down the A-pillar on passenger side.

20150410_195641994_iOS_zpsbkawzvxy.jpg

From here we can cross right over and get the wire under the dash.

20150410_200051232_iOS_zpsvbo2xzg8.jpg

Wire tucked in under dash. At this point we are pretty much into the fuse panel.

20150410_200251645_iOS_zpsegszapvf.jpg

Wire hanging out of removed fuse panel.

20150410_200500477_iOS_zpsya6rtbcl.jpg

The Power magic plus has 3 wires you need to tie in to the fuse panel: A ground, an accessory wire (power when engine has been started), and a Battery wire (permanent power source). I used fuse 23 (power windows) for the Accessory and Fuse 2 (power mirror memory module) for the Battery. Thanks Souprmage for the tips on which fuses to use.

I set the Power magic plus jumpers to cut power to the camera if the battery voltage drops below 11.8 volts. Souprmage says he gets about 2 days recording before it kills power to the camera - this is of course assuming you do not start the car for the entire time.

When trying to connect the Power Magic Plus ground, do yourself a huge favor and pull out the wire harness shown below to give yourself more room. It is it is easy to pull out, just pull it down.

The ground screw is in a very awkward spot (ground wire is circled in red). Attaching the ground was by far the longest part of the install. Would have been much faster if I removed the harness from the get go.

Once you get the wires hooked up, you can connect the power from the camera to the Power Magic Plus. It is just a cigarette lighter connection. Tuck all the wires into the fuse panel and away you go.

20150410_211920792_iOS_zpsilrcop95.jpg

Time to run the wire for the rear camera. Obvioulsy follow the path you used for the power wire - up to the top of the A-Pillar, then continue along the rubber seal at the top of the door.

20150410_220142556_iOS_zpslqelha1b.jpg

Continue along and tuck all the extra cable (there will be a lot) in the roof liner at the rear window. Rear camera installed:

20150410_222726566_iOS_zpsi5exxeir.jpg

Probably took me about 2 hours to install, again, a big chunk of that was dealing the the ground. Overall, it is a very easy diy.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Project Whitemare

GTFO Squad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Really appreciate the effort on this writeup!

Tweezy7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
17'GT on Order
Very helpful. What site did you order from? I would have liked to get that orange tool

OP
OP

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Very helpful. What site did you order from? I would have liked to get that orange tool
I got it from http://www.blackboxmycar.com/

I notice the price has gone up quite significantly since I bought it. Still might be okay for you US folks as the prices are in cdn dollars. Free US shipping too.

Sponsored

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
That looks pretty awesome! Requires WAY more electrical skill than I have, but the result looks great!

OP
OP

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
That looks pretty awesome! Requires WAY more electrical skill than I have, but the result looks great!
Thanks Jimmy. Really, there is not much in the way of electrical skill required.

If you can pull two fuses, wrap a wire around one of the tines on each fuse and then reinsert the fuse, then you can do this.

Assuming you can contort yourself into the necessary position to get at the ground screw...

2L8IWON

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
what does this do for you? Is it a security device.

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Thanks Jimmy. Really, there is not much in the way of electrical skill required.

If you can pull two fuses, wrap a wire around one of the tines on each fuse and then reinsert the fuse, then you can do this.

Assuming you can contort yourself into the necessary position to get at the ground screw...
I can pull fuses, of course -- my S197 was an early build that had a fuel pump fuse 5 amps too low, and until they did a mid-year update to the online owner's manual, I kept chewing through fuses every time I'd stamp on the gas, which almost got me in an accident twice -- but I have a feeling that tapping fuse for power would be beyond my abilities, and I'd accidentally leave the wires where they could cause a short and an electrical fire.

OP
OP

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
what does this do for you? Is it a security device.
Well, should I happen across a dog taking his owner for a walk, I will have a recording of it...

[ame]

Seriously though, it does a couple of things:

1. Should I get into an accident (or even witness an accident) I will have a record of what exactly happened. No he said, she said. Or stories being changed after the fact.

I remember reading about one guy here who got rear ended. The rear ender was initially cooperative and admitted fault. But when the police/insurance got involved he changed his story.

2. Since the cameras are still running when I am parked, again, if something happens to the car (say the front fender gets run over by a big ol' ford diesel), I will have a record and hopefully capture a license plate number and/or the bad guys.

I was parked in my friends driveway (before I had the camera installed) while over for dinner and drinks. His house got egged (if you can believe it), my car took a bit blow back. If I had the cameras, it would likely caught the guys in the act. Granted, unless my friend recognized the perps, probably nothing would have come of it.

Sponsored
OP
OP

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
I can pull fuses, of course -- my S197 was an early build that had a fuel pump fuse 5 amps too low, and until they did a mid-year update to the online owner's manual, I kept chewing through fuses every time I'd stamp on the gas, which almost got me in an accident twice -- but I have a feeling that tapping fuse for power would be beyond my abilities, and I'd accidentally leave the wires where they could cause a short and an electrical fire.
It would be next to impossible to short anything out given the length of bare wire. I have faith. You could do it.

Project Whitemare

GTFO Squad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP

Stripes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15GT 401a + Roush AB, MRT H-Pipe
I've actually had my eye on this for a while, but can't justify spending upwards of $600 for this. I'm going to wait for the price to drop a bit.

OP
OP

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
I've actually had my eye on this for a while, but can't justify spending upwards of $600 for this. I'm going to wait for the price to drop a bit.

I got it on a boxing day sale $379 cdn and it included the power magic plus for free. I think the sale was only about $20 savings. So the price really shot up since then.

Edit: I should note, I bought the 16 gig version and then bought a 64 gig card on amazon for much less than the upgrade price when buying with the camera.

Last edited: