Sponsored

Updated 3/27/2021 & 5/5/2022 - A look at the 2020 GT500 and exhaust system valves

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
WD: Your memory is far better than mine, I don't recall the request but, thanks for the link.
Page two (I think) - I read all the thread to see if it had any tips or me ... lol (hence my question above :like:)

WD :like:
Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Looking for help and any tips n tricks to line up the spring clip on the actuator with the valve - mine don’t quite line up, it’s like the spring needs to be under just a little tension for it to align ?

Answering my own question and although it's for a GT, I guess it may be a very similar procedure for a 500 :like:

Unlike the aftermarket active exhausts, the GT AE seems to hold the valves under tension, so once they are released it's tricky to get them lined up with the spring again (maybe this is Fords method to combat valve noise ?).

There is a procedure to reseat the springs :

IMG_7283.jpg

But for my own reasons this just wasn't practical - I need the exhaust to be perfect when it goes back on, without having to drop it a little and re-secure the actuators after the seating / reset process.

So after unsuccessfully messing around with the spring pre mounted on the actuator, here's the only way I found I could do it :

1) Start by recording how your actuators and springs were when they were first removed - the GT's aren't handed :

1665262668917.jpeg

2) Once everything has been stripped and cleaned and your ready for reassembly, make sure the actuator slides on and off it's mounting studs very easily. Re align the studs if needed. Use two M6 nuts and a deep socket to provide leverage without damaging the threads :

1665262810137.jpeg

3) Ensure the valve is fully turned in the direction to line up with the actuator - in the case of the GT they were fully open :

1665262887563.jpeg

4) Make sure the exhaust is level, and then carefully position the spring on the top of the valve :

1665262935359.jpeg

5) Without disturbing the spring, carefully lower the actuator so it just rests on the spring :

1665263072456.jpeg

6) Note I am working with the cut out of the actuator housing towards me, that's so I can peep under and see the actuator shaft and spring is 'almost' aligned. From 6 o clock :

1665263180020.jpeg

And from four o clock :

1665263205606.jpeg

7) If all looks OK, push the actuator down and wiggle / twist it a little it on its studs whilst maintaining downwards pressure. If you hear a fairly loud snap, then the spring has most likely seated in the actuator shaft.

1665263513875.jpeg

8) Don't trust it the first time, open it back up and check its correct. Do it a few times to get a feel what it's like when it correctly seats.

The first indication that it has seated correctly, will be that the actuator goes tight on its studs as it's now fighting the spring a little - there will be some resistance to lift it of it's studs.

The second indication is that the spring is fully located in the actuator shaft when you lift it off :

1665263496084.jpeg

9) Once you are confident you can do it right every time, bolt it down to stay (I know I have missed the little bracket from the inboard nut, it's paint is hardening) :

1665263618263.jpeg

10) As a final check, fist your exhaust deep enough to twiddle the flap. In the case of the GT it's fully open, rock solid one way (it's up against it's stops), but it can be moved with firm spring resistance the other way - instantly returning to it's home position when you remove pressure on the butterfly.

Just as a heads up and I know I'm not alone with this, the inserts around the bolt holes in the plastic actuator body (to stop it getting overtightened) seem to corrode excessively and very easily (maybe a reaction to all the stainless in that area ?). I covered the bottom bit of the stud, the insert and all mating faces with high temp grease before tightening everything down.

Hope that helps and that it's also useful for the 500 setup :like:

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Nice work.

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
@WD Pro Just opened the actuators on a GT500 and one of them is missing this heat tray. Uhhgh.

Either someone was in here, or possibly missing from factory? Maybe this explains my "Active Exhaust not available" issue.

That tray (I'm guessing it's for heat management) also serves as a spacer in a way in regards to spring tension and/or positioning? Time to test the actuators themselves.

Screenshot_20240123_124953_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240123_125241_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240123_125413_Gallery.jpg

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I suspect that tray is for heat management only - it’s very thin, probably well within the tolerance range for the spring assembly.

Are your looms OK (especially the right side) ?

Hope you get it fixed OK :like:

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
I suspect that tray is for heat management only - it’s very thin, probably well within the tolerance range for the spring assembly.

Are your looms OK (especially the right side) ?

Hope you get it fixed OK :like:

Already replaced both looms as one was worn. Interestingly, my AE works occasionally. It's like it's intermittent. Usually works after warm up, but I was hearing some rattles back there. Maybe the spring wasn't engaged properly? After it warms up in fall into place then out again?

No fraying on any of the wires.

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
Dealer parts is saying that metal tray is no longer part of the system after they refreshed the design. It doesn't come with a new actuator, and they don't offer it by itself.
I've got it narrowed down to faulty actuators.

@WD Pro your tips aligning the springs was 👍🏻

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
@WD Pro and @Epiphany, I pulled a set of actuators off a GT500 that I know work, and it cured the issue. I replaced one at a time and switched out each one to realize I had 2 bad actuators. What are the odds? Two chaffed harnesses, and two bad actuators in one sitting. Thanks for your help. Glad that's over!

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
@WD Pro and @Epiphany, I pulled a set of actuators off a GT500 that I know work, and it cured the issue. I replaced one at a time and switched out each one to realize I had 2 bad actuators. What are the odds? Two chaffed harnesses, and two bad actuators in one sitting. Thanks for your help. Glad that's over!
I am guessing the shorting out of the wires due to the chaffed harnesses fried the activators. Glad you're back up and running.

Sponsored

Gt350procharged

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 gt350 proxharged
On my 2021 GT500 I have the intermittent "exhaust mode selection unavailable" error......The dealer changed both actuators and the harness same issue now they want to replace the PCM....any advice here?

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
On my 2021 GT500 I have the intermittent "exhaust mode selection unavailable" error......The dealer changed both actuators and the harness same issue now they want to replace the PCM....any advice here?
Idk. If they TRULY replaced both actuators, AND both harnesses, AND you're still getting an intermittent "AE Not Avail"? I'd go through more locations on the harness, as well as ensuring they're plugged in fully. I've had a harness look fully seated, but it wasn't. Also, there is a chance that the valves in the mufflers could be jammed, stuck,seized. There's only the PCM after that. It's not a complicated system.

Gt350procharged

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 gt350 proxharged
There's also instances where dealer replaces entire exhaust system under tsb to resolve issue...what's this about?

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
There's also instances where dealer replaces entire exhaust system under tsb to resolve issue...what's this about?
From my questions at the dealership service department, that's about the valves, the actuators, and the pipes. A new exhaust system from Ford is about $2800. It includes 2 new actuators, but not the harnesses.

But who knows what they're talking about specifically in your case. It could be more. If it's under warranty, let them have at it.
Sponsored