1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
That was prior to the Vegas event at a completely different track.
Exactly. So why amateur hour at Vegas? I believe the 10.6 time is more representative of the car (as opposed to poor conditions on a poor strip).

Sponsored

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Exactly. So why Vegas? I believe the 10.6 time is more representative of the car (as opposed to poor conditions on a poor strip).
Maybe to save money on shipping by keeping some of the cars there for SEMA? Haha I dunno. I will say Vegas was a nice combo from a driving standpoint. Having track and drag strip together on site was nice, as was only being about 30 minutes away from great mountain roads.

Reactions: _M_

_M_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Mustang
Exactly. So why amateur hour at Vegas? I believe the 10.6 time is more representative of the car (as opposed to poor conditions on a poor strip).
It wasn’t about that at all. You’ve got to give people the chance to share their voice. Imagine what this car was doing under a very controlled environment with people that have never driven down a drag strip doing 11 seconds flat.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Maybe to save money on shipping by keeping some of the cars there for SEMA? Haha I dunno. I will say Vegas was a nice combo from a driving standpoint. Having track and drag strip together on site was nice, as was only being about 30 minutes away from great mountain roads.
It was somewhat rhetorical. I think the real reason is because Ford has a very strong relationship with Shelby American. Also, Vegas is easy to get to and commonly holds huge conventions (like SEMA) and also has the infrastructure and capacity to host a large event.

I get why, but at the same time, I don't understand picking that place to showcase the cars capabilities. Thank god they let Evan run the car under more optimal conditions so that we could have that result today.

Thanks @Evan J. Smith

Sponsored

Face

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
It was somewhat rhetorical. I think the real reason is because Ford has a very strong relationship with Shelby American. Also, Vegas is easy to get to and commonly holds huge conventions (like SEMA) and also has the infrastructure and capacity to host a large event.

I get why, but at the same time, I don't understand picking that place to showcase the cars capabilities. Thank god they let Evan run the car under more optimal conditions so that we could have that result today.

Thanks @Evan J. Smith
Using that launch control...:like:

But to your earlier point, a few reasons- Vegas checks all the boxes for a Media drive in Oct/Nov. Where else are you going go that is minutes from an airport, deliver good weather and have access to beautiful street driving, road course and drag strip all in one place.

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
that thing needs a tire bad
Or not a 2,000' elevation, uphill strip on a non prepped day that was either 85* or 65* with amateurs driving it with only a handful of runs.

But I like to draw conclusive results from events like this too. :crackup:

Jm22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S90
Stangmode ran in the high 10.8s in Vegas, which is quite a bit faster than the other journalists. Accounting for DA it is faster than the Florida 10.65 I believe.

It is impressive for a stock car, particularly if the lap times are good as well. Anyone can go fast in a straight line, I'm more interested in handling.

cib24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS
I think aside from the best time people should be impressed that launch control and the DCT allowed everyone there to run 10.8-11.5 all day consistently. The cars were also never shut off and would go up the strip, come back to wait in the queue, do more burnouts, go up the strip, return to the queue, etc. And nothing broke.

Face

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I think what people need to keep in mind here is that this 'Media Drive' took place over the course of a week that saw temperature swings of 20 even 30 degrees. On top of that 'prep' was done maybe a handful of times throughout each day and I use that term extremely loosely and if you weren't one of the first cars to go immediately after said 'prep' it was like launching on the street. All while the cars were hot lapped like rented mule without being shut off.

All of this and the car remained REMARKABLY consistent day to day with strip times varying less than .4-.5 seconds over the course of the week. That is the big story here- this car and its engineering and cooling capabilities are really something special and Ford deserves all of the credit in the world for that along with making a 760HP car easy enough for a toddler to drive. Hats off to the blue oval on this one- they really knocked it out of the park.
Sponsored