Unlikely Head to Head Review: Mustang GT vs Genesis G70

Discussion in 'Ford Mustang versus?' started by Jarstang, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Jarstang

Jarstang Administrator
    Administrator

Vehicle(s):
    Ford
    0   0   0
    Now here's a comparison you don't see being made everyday (or ever) :)

Here's how the two stack up on paper :

2019 Mustang GT
    $35,355 starting price
    460 HP / 420 LB-FT

2019 Genesis G70 3.3T
    $44,745 starting price
    365 HP / 376 LB-FT

2. SVTSNAKE355

SVTSNAKE355 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    hothands
    Vehicle(s):
    2014 GT500
    0   0   0
    This is stupid.

AmericanV8Guy likes this.
  3. Moose

Moose New Member

First Name:
    Mustafa
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 GT Premium, 2012 GT Premium
    0   0   0
    Agreed. When I bought my 2 door American v8 it never occurred to me to get a 4 door non v8 Korean made car. Nothing wrong with either car. They are just made for different buyers.

Coyote Red likes this.
  4. sdiver68

sdiver68 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    Having come over from German and Japanese sports cars and sedans, this is a version of the same decision I went through on how to spend my car budget. So yes people absolutely do cross-shop sport sedans versus sports cars. I've gone back and forth every few years.

Ultra-Refined and Sporty versus Refined and Muscular. Everyday practical vs everyday usable.

For people like me, this was 1 of the best reviews for those who just dont get why I chose Mustang this time around.

A7X, drabon74, Zitrosounds and 3 others like this.
  5. Sawyerjames

Sawyerjames Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 mustang gt A10
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    Amen

6. w3rkn

w3rkn Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    bmw 135is(sold)
    0   0   0

What..?
    People who need a backseat don't shop 2-door cars. And the people who don't care how many doors, are not discerning buyers and pulled along by marketing. They have no actual needs, & finalize on whatever works for them.

BTW... what you are describing is not cross-shopping. If you alter between buying a sedan one time, and a coupe the next.

7. Sawyerjames

Sawyerjames Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 mustang gt A10
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    I understand the comparison as I have been in this situation. I have been faced with choices such as M5 sedan vs M4 or M3 coupe. I come from the BMW crowd, and currently own my first Mustang. I keep leaning towards coupes recently, but 2 years ago did own a pretty bad 2008 550i sedan that was a performance 4 door car to the max (now own my Mustang and a 2016 535i Sedan)...on the other hand, outside of the BMW world the only other true "performance sedans" in my opinion would be the Audi RS models, and Mercedes' AMG models. Kia is going to really have to prove themselves in the next few years if they want to be on the podium with other "performance" vehicles. You can't put out one quick car (Stinger) and expect for everyone to see you as something you are not. Kia to me is still the same company that had buy one get one free deals on their vehicles. They have not broken that mental perspective with me. At least not yet...

8. Ayatollah Humungous

Ayatollah Humungous Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 GT PP
    0   0   0
    Same here. Now it is between a C63S and another Mustang.

This is some of the stupidest shit I have ever read. And I used to post at Mustangworld.

9. sdiver68

sdiver68 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    I dont expect everyone to understand but you are completely wrong about your assumptions.

Think of it this way, say you want 10 things out of a car and you rank importance of each characteristic to you. Power, handling, reliability, upgrades, premium materials, wife approval etc.. Now let's say room for 4 is ranked 7th of those 10 because it is nice on occasion but can live without. You should be able to see with such an evaluation method how it might be a 2 door or 4 that comes out on top at any given price point. Which is exactly what the video showed, depending on your particular situation either might be the best choice for you.

Kevindust likes this.
  10. Mustangpursuit

Mustangpursuit Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Mustang GT/CS 2019
    0   0   0
    I would get a G70 over a Stinger GT. I prefer having the Genesis brand and the G70 looks a lot more refined and AWD is available on the TTV6. not sure if they will retain the 360 cam (especially front camera) for the US model. Kia cheapened the US Stinger by not including the front camera that is on intl versions.

11. PGMarcus

PGMarcus Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Marcus
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium
    0   0   0
    :cwl::cwl::cwl::cwl:

12. whoishomer

whoishomer Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2015 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    Haven't watched the video as I am at work right now, but I actually sold my 2015 Mustang GT and picked up a Genesis G70. Growing family and wanting to switch to AWD so I can drive the car year round (I'm in Canada)
    I miss the manual transmission and the rumble of the V8 but overall I am happy with my new car

carcinoid likes this.
  13. Faceme

Faceme MOCJ JAPAN

First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle(s):
    '16 GT, Jeep Patriot limited
    0   0   0
    Couldve chosen a better car for comparison. Other than price, two totally different cars. worse than some of the truck vs SUV comparisons ive seen

14. RedWolfe

RedWolfe Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Mustang Ecoboost PP
    0   0   0
    Are you telling someone who is self-admittedly the target audience for this video that there isn't a target audience for this video?

OT: While it's true that the vehicles themselves are pretty different, it's not crazy for that buyers to cross shop the american v8's with other sports cars. I didn't care much for dodge and chevy but when I bought my 2010 GT, I was definitely shopping between the offerings from hyundai, nissan & subaru. I settled on the mustang because i liked it most (& the return of grabber blue).

15. TomcatDriver

TomcatDriver Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    An embarassingly boring car
    0   0   0
    It was entertaining watching "James" try not too smile driving the Mustang. He failed.

16. IPOGT

IPOGT Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Alan
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang FP/GT 1979 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400
    0   0   0
    This may be true, but a much larger percentage of Mustang buyers vs. regular car buyers would not even consider anything like a Genesis no matter what they put into it.

17. PGMarcus

PGMarcus Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Marcus
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium
    0   0   0
    Mustang buyers are regular car buyers, so that didn't make any sense. I have a Mustang but also considered the G70, they were just taking too long to get to the dealers so I grabbed my Mustang.

Zitrosounds likes this.
  18. thehunterooo

thehunterooo Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2015 GT
    0   0   0
    Hit that youtube sub button guys for more great content!

TURTL3 likes this.
  19. IPOGT

IPOGT Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Alan
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang FP/GT 1979 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400
    0   0   0
    #19 IPOGT, Nov 27, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    I respectfully disagree and stand by my statement. In fact, I'd bet most people here on 6G would agree with me. Most people who are Mustang fans wouldn't even care about a Genesis. Some might, most will not. Challengers, Camaro, Corvette yes..... Those that would seriously consider a Genesis or similar probably will not own a Mustang for long, as they would just get bored or whatever and sell it a year or two later, after the cell phone contract ends and the "new" wears off. That is great news for the people on here who are true Mustang fans who then can get a nice car at a discount.

20. TURTL3

TURTL3 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 LB Mustang 3.7 6MT
    0   0   0
    It's not that weird of a comparison. I mean I do like reviewers thinking outside the box and having unlikely competitors go against each other. Every video on youtube can't be a pony car shoot out or else we'd all be bored.

I can see people cross shopping the two. The are people who don't need a back seat, but like to have one anyway. But they also like speed. So they cross shop sports sedans with coupes or coupe variants of said sports sedan (e.g. M3 or M4), quite simply because they have the budget AND lifestyle to be flexible like that. It's a small target market, but a market nonetheless. I'm interested in the G70 with the 4 cyl turbo and stick shift. That might be a hell of a bargain and a ton of fun to boot.

Zitrosounds and PGMarcus like this.