Sponsored

Unique all-wheel-drive hybrid V8 powertrain revealed in Ford patent

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Just what the Mustang needs - more piggish front end weight plus more complexity. :frown: I don't completely hate this for a GT500 type of vehicle, but I'm not the least bit interested in purchasing it. I can understand patenting it to block competitors, but I mostly hope that Ford doesn't waste a bunch of money building this.

If the Mustang is going to get more complex or expensive, I'd much rather see the money in chassis light-weighting and/or a transaxle for better weight distribution.

Even a smaller displacement V8 with turbos would be much better than this crap. :facepalm:
Sponsored

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
Vehicle Showcase
I would be up for an AWD Mustang GT, heck I bought a Lincoln MKZ with 400hp AWD and that thing is spectacular and not configured for performance even though 400hp kinda asserts itself anyway. I can only imagine a more powerful Mustang with AWD and while we are at it twin turbos for the win!

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
Vehicle Showcase
Just what the Mustang needs - more piggish front end weight plus more complexity. :frown: I don't completely hate this for a GT500 type of vehicle, but I'm not the least bit interested in purchasing it. I can understand patenting it to block competitors, but I mostly hope that Ford doesn't waste a bunch of money building this.

If the Mustang is going to get more complex or expensive, I'd much rather see the money in chassis light-weighting and/or a transaxle for better weight distribution.

Even a smaller displacement V8 with turbos would be much better than this crap. :facepalm:
I can see your points, but I want it anyway! The complexity is there now anyway, most can't work on these new cars like we could back in the day anyway. Back in 1985 changing an engine was easy peasy, I could probably with time pull the Coyote to replace it but I would be worried about it and scared as well. I am also just making excuses because the MKZ is awesome with 400hp and AWD and you should see how the turbos are shoehorned into it... I guess I just want it complexity be damned.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Honestly, if I was to try and do an AWD Mustang, I would start with the 500HP 3.5L EcoBoost. The shorter/lighter engine allows for room up front for a regular front diff that can be setup with a rear biased system like the Audi's. The added front diff would then take the weight back up to 3,700lbs like the normal GT. Then, knock off another couple hundred pounds by going to an all Aluminum body like the F-150.

I have no doubt such a configuration could get the total weight down to 3,500-3,600lbs and would easily outperform the existing GT on the track in acceleration and cornering.

It would also be a much more affordable car than a V8 hybrid setup. The only thing with such a car, is a boosted 500HP V6 would be close to its limits of reliable power production. Though for most owners (like me), I think it would be more than satisfying.

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly, if I was to try and do an AWD Mustang, I would start with the 500HP 3.5L EcoBoost. The shorter/lighter engine allows for room up front
I think the Coyote and 3.5 Eco weigh about the same...

Sponsored

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I think the Coyote and 3.5 Eco weigh about the same...
I looked it up. You're right. I guess all the extra turbo parts make sup for the difference. Interesting.

I wonder if it would be feasible to build a front diff design like that with a cheaper non hybrid version? I suppose adding a front diff, then going to an aluminum body would offset enough weight to at least keep the weight the same.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
In real world performance Mustang's get beat other cars with less power and AWD that can put the power down intelligently. Although the Mustang may sound better in the process.

Kia Stingers will be dominating if Ford doesn't innovate and adapt for the future.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Honestly, if I was to try and do an AWD Mustang, I would start with the 500HP 3.5L EcoBoost. The shorter/lighter engine allows for room up front for a regular front diff that can be setup with a rear biased system like the Audi's. The added front diff would then take the weight back up to 3,700lbs like the normal GT. Then, knock off another couple hundred pounds by going to an all Aluminum body like the F-150.

I have no doubt such a configuration could get the total weight down to 3,500-3,600lbs and would easily outperform the existing GT on the track in acceleration and cornering.

It would also be a much more affordable car than a V8 hybrid setup. The only thing with such a car, is a boosted 500HP V6 would be close to its limits of reliable power production. Though for most owners (like me), I think it would be more than satisfying.
That may be the way to go but the legacy of the 5.0 V8 is a big selling point. Drop the EcoBoost name, come up with a better name and throw in a twin turbo.

Come to think of it, they could sell a twin turbo V6 AWD as the high performance option (call it the GTS or GTR) and keep the V8 as well.

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
I would 100% buy and daily drive year round in the snowy NE.

Given the power of the V8, and likely power of these electric motors, we're probably looking at a 30/70 power split, which would perform quite nicely.

My guess is that the default driving setting would be RWD until slip, at which point the fronts engage.

I would also guess that two other settings would be available - RWD all the time, and a wet/snow setting where the front wheels are always active to some extent.

This is really the only way that I get into a Mustang in the immediate future given the crappy road conditions for 6 months out of the year.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
There goes the Mustang affordability attraction. Added complexity, weight gain, and new higher price.
I was going to post the same thing. I much prefer a car that is relatively easy to maintain and modify. This takes cost to a whole nother level. I'm also interested in seeing how this gets packaged with a strut style front suspension.

Sponsored

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
That may be the way to go but the legacy of the 5.0 V8 is a big selling point. Drop the EcoBoost name, come up with a better name and throw in a twin turbo.

Come to think of it, they could sell a twin turbo V6 AWD as the high performance option (call it the GTS or GTR) and keep the V8 as well.
The reason I say a V6 specifically, is because as I tore apart the front accessories on my GT to install an AC tension arm, I realized very quickly, there isn't very much room in front of that engine. Certain not enough for a differential. The front wheels would have to be re-positioned further forward, changing the wheel base. This would require a huge re-engineering of the platform. A V6 however, automatically provides you with the room to install a front differential driven by a wet clutch pack off the back of the transmission without redesigning the whole car. Throw in a turbo for some boost and an aluminum body. That would keep the weight very close or perhaps even a hundred pounds lighter than the V8 steel bodied car we have right now. I really think the power could be the same or better than the NA V8, and the traction would be incredible in a PP2 track package.

The high end model could still be the V8 hybrid, but the V6 gas only version would be a more affordable package, imo.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I can see your points, but I want it anyway! The complexity is there now anyway, most can't work on these new cars like we could back in the day anyway. Back in 1985 changing an engine was easy peasy, I could probably with time pull the Coyote to replace it but I would be worried about it and scared as well. I am also just making excuses because the MKZ is awesome with 400hp and AWD and you should see how the turbos are shoehorned into it... I guess I just want it complexity be damned.
There's nothing wrong with wanting it. I think it could potentially be amazing for really quick 0-60 times on the street. That would be its main advantage. And maybe some fuel economy gains as well - but that's another thing I don't give a rip about.

I'm just more about corners than I am about 0-60. I do love a quick launch, though. If there was a way to get a quicker launch without sacrificing cornering, that would be the sweet spot for me. That's why I mentioned a transaxle, light weighting or possibly a smaller TT V8.

slink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium,6 Speed, 401A Pkg, Kona Blue
Since the next generation of Mustang may share a platform with the new rear drive Explorer ( which will also have AWD as an option) , this shouldn't be difficult for Ford to make happen.

OP
OP
Allentown

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
2021 401A Security pckg 20x9 Chrome Wheel Upgrade
In real world performance Mustang's get beat other cars with less power and AWD that can put the power down intelligently. Although the Mustang may sound better in the process.

Kia Stingers will be dominating if Ford doesn't innovate and adapt for the future.
That's more about the mustangs crappy suspension and oem tires and crappy MT82 leaving about 20% of the cars real potential on the table.

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
Since the next generation of Mustang may share a platform with the new rear drive Explorer ( which will also have AWD as an option) , this shouldn't be difficult for Ford to make happen.
The explorer platform offers alot to be excited about if it was downsized to a Mustang.
Sponsored