Unimpressed with lowering springs...what's next?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes & Chassis' started by Palifter21, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Palifter21

Palifter21 Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    Hey everyone,

Recently installed SR lowering springs on my 2017 GT auto coupe. These springs provide a 1in drop on all 4 wheels. I also did a 25mm wheel spacer on the rear wheels. Although this combo made the car have a much more appealing stance, i'm not thrilled with the handling. Not sure if its worth noting but the car has a MBRP street catback, Lund 93 tune and JLT cai.

I almost feel as if the springs are too much for the stock shocks...if that is such a thing. The car also has a Steeda strut bar up front and upgraded vertical links by SR performance, they greatly reduced wheel hop and make the back end much more confidence inspiring when spirited driving takes place.

So my question is, what can I do to aid in handling and overall feel? Is it time to replace the stock shocks? Something else?

Thanks in advance!

2. MaskedRacerX

MaskedRacerX Driver

First Name:
    DT
    Vehicle(s):
    19 Mustang GT convertible, Orange Fury + Ebony, A10/PP/AE/MS/B&O
    Rating:
    100%
    2   0   0
    No experience with SR, but my BMR SP080s - in addition to looking fantastic - also substantially improved the handling, and the "feel". They're linear (vs. the OEM progressives), and specifically designed to work with the OEM shocks.

Note that I have PP car, so my shocks and stabilizers are a bit improved over your non-PP car.

Shocks would clearly improve things, but I'd make sure to get a good match for your spring rates - I'd reach out to BMR and Steeda, with the existing spring specs, give them an idea of your goals.

Some shocks and a set of aftermarket stabilizers and you can get a real tight setup, though you'll start encroaching on "street comfort".

3. tj@steeda

[email protected] Well-Known Member
    Diamond Sponsor

Vehicle(s):
    2015 Steeda Mustang
    Garage Profiles:
    Rating:
    100%
    2   0   0
    Shoot me an email & we can get you situated ([email protected]) - we have a great set of fixed shocks that can pair well with the SR springs.

I look forward to hearing from you!

TJ

4. NightmareMoon

NightmareMoon Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang GT PP
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    Yeah those springs rates are going to be a bit much for the stock shocks, even the PP ones. You need stiffer shocks to dampen those increased spring rates.

1in drop also makes it hard to stay off the bumpstops, i hope you trimmed yours when you put the springs on.

5. Inthehighdesert

Inthehighdesert Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 gt convertible
    Rating:
    100%
    1   0   0
    I installed my steeda springs on my 16 vert with 3500 miles on the car. So, the factory struts were still pretty much new. The dampening of the factory struts wasnt up to the springs. It wasnt horrible but it was obvious. I changed them to the steeda non adjustable setup with the rear billet mounts shortly after. There was a noticeable difference between the two. The latter was much more controlled and predictable.

[email protected] likes this.
  6. Norm Peterson

Norm Peterson corner barstool sitter

First Name:
    Norm
    Vehicle(s):
    '08 GT #85, '10 LGT, '01 20AE
    On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
    0   0   0
    It won't cost you anything except a few minutes time and a little sweat to pull those rear spacers off and see if the situation improves. Adding spacers adds leverage to the loads that make suspension bushings distort. There may be other effects.

Not changing out the shocks and struts has moved the relative amount of damping down (away from where best tire grip lives). It would be giving a softer ride that could be acceptable if you're OK with the car moving around more on its suspension.

Norm

7. Shermanator

Shermanator Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the feedback thus far. I did take off the spacers recently, has no negative effect.

I’m thinking it’s time for shocks to be upgraded. I have 2 questions:

1. Any feedback on the KONI orange non adjustable shocks? Anything comparable in price?

2. Do all 4 shocks need to be replaced at the same time or can I do the rears first, wait a few weeks to assess how impactful they are then do the front?

8. tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor

Vehicle(s):
    2015 Steeda Mustang
    Garage Profiles:
    Rating:
    100%
    2   0   0
  9. Shermanator

Shermanator Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    Thanks TJ, I like the price point and reviews on those shocks. I’m going to shoot you an email.

10. SVT-DADDY

SVT-DADDY World's heaviest S550

Vehicle(s):
    2015 GT Convertible
    Garage Profiles:
    Rating:
    100%
    2   0   0
    I did the same thing as you, except with BMR 089. Handling actually deteriorated as the stock non PP dampers weren't up to the task. I got a good deal on PP dampers and the car handles much better.

However I will say that I think your on the right track with TJ. Kinda wish I went that direction.

11. texasboy21

texasboy21 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
    0   0   0
    Suspension components have to work in harmony. A proper set of shocks should bring the handling back to normal/improved.

12. Shermanator

Shermanator Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    Narrowed it down to Steedas non adj shocks and Konis non adj (Orange shock) along with camber bolts to help with negative camber after installing the SR springs with a 1in drop all around.

I’m really on the fence here. The Koni has the lifetime warranty while the Steeda is slightly cheaper with the forum discount. I’m guessing both are a pretty significant upgrade over the stock non PP GT shocks and I should just choose one..?

13. texasboy21

texasboy21 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
    0   0   0
    Koni orange wouldnt be considered an updated, and likely are less dampened than the OE PP shocks.

Koni yellow (sports) are to be matched with lowering springs. That said, in my experience Bilstein B8s (sports) are far superior to Konis.

14. tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor

Vehicle(s):
    2015 Steeda Mustang
    Garage Profiles:
    Rating:
    100%
    2   0   0
    Steeda has a lifetime warranty too - send me an email at [email protected] and finalize your search :).

15. Shermanator

Shermanator Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    Haha just when I thought I had it all figured out.

I had bilsteins on my 2017 Ram 1500 to level it and they were great.

16. Inthehighdesert

Inthehighdesert Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 gt convertible
    Rating:
    100%
    1   0   0
    You won't go wrong with the Steedas. The ride is good and the service is even better. Bilstein makes great shocks, I run them on my lifted F250. Its hard to beat the r&d Steeda does on our cars.

17. jasonstang

jasonstang Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
    0   0   0
    Remember you need better shocks for stiffer shocks because stiffer stocks means it will respond to movement faster.

18. Shermanator

Shermanator Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    Pulling the trigger on the Steeda non adj shocks/struts later today. They look like they’ll pair well with my current 1in progresive rate lowering springs. They’re also the least expensive option of the bunch when you factor in the 10% off code for forum members.

Also, the back and forth emails with Tj and John show me great customer service should the need every arise to troubleshoot.

I’ll post a review after install. Thanks for the help M6g!

19. tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor

Vehicle(s):
    2015 Steeda Mustang
    Garage Profiles:
    Rating:
    100%
    2   0   0
    You made a great decision - you won’t be disappointed!

Best Regards,

TJ

20. Dominant1

Dominant1 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Dr Frankenstang
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
    0   0   0
    Take it from me i have the steeda pro action adjustables , steeda sport linears , stop the hop kit, steeda camber plates and a few other steeda goodies and this car handles very well even with 305/35/19 dr’s staggered! Best solution is, aftermarket springs need to be coupled with aftermarket struts and shocks, preferably from the same manufacturer!