Sponsored

Uneven tyre wear; insides on both fronts on GT

Mustang65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (TY, UCL 87, appeared on Top Gear)
Hi,

I wondered if anyone else has had problems with very heavy/uneven wear to the inside edge on both fronts (Pirelli PZeros).

My local Hendy Ford has told me there is no camber adjustment and that tracking within spec. They only thing they are suggesting is to add some 'toe out' when I put some new ones on.

All sounds a bit strange to me as I don't remember anyone mention it on this or other forums. My GT is still stock.

Grateful for any suggestions.
Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Get the car on a Hunter and see the alignment, sounds like it's a bit fooked.

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
I have greater wear on the insides of my fronts but not excessively so, and i was running a silly amount of camber not entirely of my own doing, so your problem sounds more like too much toe-in.
As others have suggested get an alignment.

Pilgrim/uk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
GT Yellow
I had that on an Audi from new it was the camber set up from factory was pants wore tyres out on the inside down to the canvas only on about 20 mm of tyre rest of tyre had about 6 mm left in the tread and was nearly impossible to see even when you checked unless you happen to have full lock on when you did check tyres .
have fun
brad

Sponsored

OP
OP

Mustang65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks to everyone for the good advice.

I'll get a set of MPS4S to match the rears and get a full alignment done. I'll post some photos of the tyres and provide the results of the aligment.

Then off to have a very frank chat with my local dealer!

Hopefully see some of you on 16th July at Goodwood; I'll be spectating. If anyone needs any local tips let me know as I'm in Chichester.

23TGrabberBlue

Grabber Blue Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY2017 EcoBoost Grabber Blue
Wheel alignment on mine was out of spec from factory. I spotted uneven wear on my rears about 8K miles and had it sorted at the first service under warranty. Still on the factory fit PZeros at 12.5K miles and the car is gripping better than it's ever done. They'll need to be changed at around 15K based on current wear, might get a couple of K more out of the next set!

OP
OP

Mustang65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The first set on mine were worn out by a variety of journalists, including Rory off Top Gear and the lovely Sabine (also made my drivers seat squeak).

I'd love to find out which prat of a Jorno put out over 60psi in the tyres and reset the system so that it didn't register. Ford didn't notice before lending it to me for months. I wondered why the handling seemed strange and was truly shocked when I checked the pressures. Good job I was being sensible otherwise I would have ended up disappearing off the road.

I figured they did it to drift it more easily. Whoever overinflated them and then didn't return it to normal pressures is a complete dickhead!

Still have some duct tape on the steering column, left over from TG filming, as well as a dent in the door!

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
The first set on mine were worn out by a variety of journalists, including Rory off Top Gear and the lovely Sabine (also made my drivers seat squeak).

I'd love to find out which prat of a Jorno put out over 60psi in the tyres and reset the system so that it didn't register. Ford didn't notice before lending it to me for months. I wondered why the handling seemed strange and was truly shocked when I checked the pressures. Good job I was being sensible otherwise I would have ended up disappearing off the road.

I figured they did it to drift it more easily. Whoever overinflated them and then didn't return it to normal pressures is a complete dickhead!

Still have some duct tape on the steering column, left over from TG filming, as well as a dent in the door!
I'd probably squeak too if Sabine sat on me... :eek:
Sponsored