• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Uneven Exhaust Idle

The Ghost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang GT Premium Fastback
I noticed today after parking and leaving the car in neutral that the left, driver side exhaust sounds smoother and more consistent at idle than the right, passenger side, which sounds a bit louder and rougher.

This is in normal active exhaust mode only. When I switch it to quiet, it goes away like 90%. In sport and track exhaust itā€™s completely gone. I thought maybe it had something to do with the valves, so I visually inspected them, and they appear to be working normally on both mufflers. So Iā€™m not sure what it is.

I also tried YouTube to see if I could hear it on another GT, and I could not really tell definitively one way or the other.

Soā€¦ I turn to the forum to ask if anyone else has heard this on their car in normal exhaust mode, and if not, what my next steps should be. It may have been there before and I just hadnā€™t noticed it before today, but Iā€™m not certain.

Hereā€™s a video clip.
Sponsored

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse
i could not hear a difference on mine, but you live in CA and there is something to note. Ford has an alternate version of the GT and DH active exhaust, with one probably being quieter for states like CA. if you PM me your VIN i can check the parts to see if that is the case

edit: uses the same exhaust part as an AZ car, so it might be something to do with the firing order of the engine firing 5 then 1, creating that sound on the right side. in any case, i say dont worry about it. if something does happen, powertrain warranty is your friend

Last edited:

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Itā€™s most likely the passenger side can/valve(s). Just slightly different although you can almost hear an underlying sound from the left side. Do you hear the same from under the hood?

OP
OP
The Ghost

The Ghost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Itā€™s most likely the passenger side can/valve(s). Just slightly different although you can almost hear an underlying sound from the left side. Do you hear the same from under the hood?
I popped the hood today and all looks and sounds normal. Itā€™s just the idling in normal mode at the back of the car that sounds uneven. I canā€™t hear it sitting in the car though. The other exhaust modes it disappears.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
I popped the hood today and all looks and sounds normal. Itā€™s just the idling in normal mode at the back of the car that sounds uneven. I canā€™t hear it sitting in the car though. The other exhaust modes it disappears.
Good deal. Admittedly its more difficult to hear from in the engine bay but if it is heard in there its easier to say thats the cause but since you are pretty sure it aint then most likely it is the right rear exhaust can (muffler). a flapper/valve or even some packing (if there is any) in that can may be slightly different. Changing modes and the flappers/exhaust valves in the can flip and flop and new noise.

while the sound is slightly more aggressive from the right rear iā€™m not sure itā€™s problematic (as in gonna cause any performance issues). The overall underlying rhythm is consistent so thats good.

i do notice two different wet spots.

OP
OP
The Ghost

The Ghost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good deal. Admittedly its more difficult to hear from in the engine bay but if it is heard in there its easier to say thats the cause but since you are pretty sure it aint then most likely it is the right rear exhaust can (muffler). a flapper/valve or even some packing (if there is any) in that can may be slightly different. Changing modes and the flappers/exhaust valves in the can flip and flop and new noise.

while the sound is slightly more aggressive from the right rear iā€™m not sure itā€™s problematic (as in gonna cause any performance issues). The overall underlying rhythm is consistent so thats good.

i do notice two different wet spots.
Thank you for your response. Yes, the passenger side drips a bit more water than the driver side. My husband also noticed the passenger side also felt like the air coming out was warmer. He has a theory that in Normal Mode, there might be a valve or flap we canā€™t see deeper in the exhaust system that is directing more airflow to the passenger side muffler, causing it to be louder.

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium 401a, Auto, AE, Atlas Blue
Thank you for your response. Yes, the passenger side drips a bit more water than the driver side. My husband also noticed the passenger side also felt like the air coming out was warmer. He has a theory that in Normal Mode, there might be a valve or flap we canā€™t see deeper in the exhaust system that is directing more airflow to the passenger side muffler, causing it to be louder.
Mine does the same. Passenger side more drip.
Sponsored