Sponsored

Unemployment taxes... how do you not know?

camelfarmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hussain
Vehicle(s)
None
Hello; This is a good enough example of what I am asking about when I say I need a term for those trying to re-define words or terms to suit their own agenda. What is the term for this sort of thing. A 'right" has a traditional dictionary sort of definition and has been in use for a long time.

Those who want "housing" to be guaranteed by some one else , usually taxpayers, have been trying to get us use to thinking of it as a "right" just by repeatedly calling it a "right." I can see the "need" for housing. In fact housing is among the reasons I put up with unplesant job conditions during my working life. I do see that people need housing but do not see that need as being a right. I paid rent most of my life to have housing and paid cash to own my current home. I guess now I am expected to pay taxes so others can have what I worked for?
Do not get me wrong. I can see helping folks in need, but when we allow a "need' to be morphed into a "right" the dynamic changes.
I think it would be nice if we had a set of ideals to strive towards in a nice society. Somewhere for everyone to live would be on that list for me. As well as free education, healthcare, zero child malnutrition etc. Yeah I'd give up my mustang for that. I'd rather everyone had enough than I had loads.
Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
I would have to disagree with that. I have no problem giving someone temporary help if they are down on their luck, but when they turn it into a way of life and expect you and me to pay for them to sit on their ass and do nothing for the rest of their life, that's where I draw the line.

If it comes down to it, I will quit my job and put my hand out for my free obama phone before I pay for the lazy asses that just milk the system.

Last edited:

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Entitlement is at an all time high, and the degenerates figured out if they break and burn enough stuff, the government will cave and give them anything. Theft is way up too, and penalties are negligible at best. It's only gonna get worse from here on out. Just wait until all those $15 an hour proponents realize the real inflation on basic goods that will follow, and the beeline for automation to replace those jobs entirely.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
True, what good is $15 an hour to flip burgers when all the burger joints install automated machines to cook, assemble and wrap those 99 cent cheeseburgers and now your unskilled services are no longer needed.

What the $15 min wage proponents don't see or want to see is that when you force a small business owner to pay 15 bucks an hour for unskilled labor, one of two things will happen, either the employees hours will be cut, or the jobs will be.

Say you own a small restaurant and you have roughly 4K a week to cover payroll for your 10 employees who make on average 10 an hour. So the math says 10 hr x 40 hrs = 400 wk x 10 employees = 4K. Now increase that to 15 hr and now you need 6K to keep all employees working 40 hrs. Well where does the extra 2K come from, hint-it doesn't come. So what do you do, you can't raise your prices to much or you risk losing customers so you try cutting hours or cutting employees so the 4K you have will cover payroll. Eventually you look to automation to replace the employees because your restaurant no longer functions efficiently with 2/3rds of the employees you need. Or you just close the doors and put all 10 of your employees out of work.

Last edited:

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Anyhow, prices are rising not because of who is in office, but because companies are tired of losing money, by them manipulating the supply, they can then flex their muscle to keep ahead of the demand, instead of losing $20 billion for another quarter, and having all of their shareholders pull money out of the company, further devaluing the top executive bonuses. I mean, especially considering that experts say that we'll run out of oil in the next 30-50 years, it'd be a bad idea for them to just give it away.
Here's where you lost me.
You're saying low gas prices were the cause of of an oil company losing $20 billion? Hard to manipulate the supply when worldwide demand (Covid 19 / lock downs) plummeted.

You know that oil companies average about .05 cents a gallon profit on gas......and that profit doesn't spike when gas prices do...right?

But when demand for gas dropped 30% or more (Covid-19 and lockdowns) that will reduce profit. But directly correlating gas prices or even gas demand to oil company profit / loss statements is disingenuous at best.

Gasoline production on average (looking at one barrel of oil) accounts for less then half of what the barrel of oil is used for production wise.

Looking at profit / loss statements for oil companies is not red / black. A GOOD chunk of that "$20 billion dollar loss" was when they CUT THE VALUE of the of the shale gas holdings they have....because of decreased worldwide demand for petroleum.

Gas prices aren't rising because of oil company profit margins. Gas prices are rising because of many different things...

Futures trading, betting that the new Presidential Administration's announcement about rejoining the Paris Climate Agreement, hedging their bets on any New Green Deal legislation............all those push prices up.

Pipeline closures. Layoffs in current and future planned projects - they are betting on this increasing production and supply costs...........price goes up.

EV being pushed hard..........increasing demand on existing energy infrastructure.......prices goes up (psst.......when people can't or even think they can't rely on their coal / NG / nuclear / hydro / wind - power grid -petroleum product demand goes up.

COLD WINTER and Spring............prices go up (most places that regularly get COLD during the winter don't rely on electricity to heat their homes or businesses..........

To say that having Biden as POTUS (And his stated opinions and actions he's taken already as it pertains to U.S. Energy policy) doesn't affect oil prices (and thus gas prices) is GOOFY. That's how futures trading works.

Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
This thread is triggering me so hard right now lmao. Maybe it's because I just had to sit through four hours of Inclusivity training at work where they told us we're all sexist, bigoted, racist, white devil's. And we're no longer allowed to say "guys" at work because it's not gender neutral and people are offended apparently. There was like a full hour of "micro aggressions" we're all guilty of that now we have to avoid or risk getting fired. We have to ask someone what name they want to be called before we call them anything, regardless of whatever name they put on their employment forms. Because calling a transgendered person their given name is a micro aggression. Then I log off work today and turn on the local news and our idiot governor laid off thousands of state employees due to budget cuts. Then the very next story was about the same governor granting several hundred thousand dollars to mural artists to paint BLM messages and murals all over Denver in places they set on fire this summer (which tax payers are still paying to fix). Although maybe they won't set it on fire again if it has their mural painted on it.... And now people accepting unemployment didn't read a single thing they signed and are upset about it??? I mean what in the actual frick is going on?! Is this the goddamn Twilight Zone??? I just.... As time marches on I recognize society and reality less and less....
At some point these snow flakes are going to get a much needed micro aggressive boot in the ass. 99.999% of us suffer because the 0.001% got their feelings hurt when they made up some dumb shit. Mentally ill mofos all of them. As if any of us are born the way we want to be. I wish I was born in royalty and had all the money and cars and woman and a huge penis but nope, just a normal evil white devil here. Do we complain, not really, because it gets us nowhere. My niece is an example of this culture. Went to a normal junior high from a very small personal grade school and freaked out as we all do. Instead of being told to suck it up and force personal growth, she gets thrown on an autism spectrum and given meds to help deal with a life transition we all go though. I'm just the crazy uncle that doesn't have kids that knows nothing though. I'm all for doing what makes you happy but the caveat is that you don't do it at the expense of others. I'm open to a lot of things but this entire transgender movement of sorts is proof of how far we've fallen in society. We aren't all winners and we don't always get what we want. There's only 2 genders you can be and you shouldn't be able to change it and then expect special treatment. Instead you're making the choice to be very not normal as if dressing like a clown with a neon sign around your neck proclaiming you're different and then getting upset when treated as such. Ef all of these people! Rant done. I'm sure it's not a popular opinion but I don't care.

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
Hello; This is a good enough example of what I am asking about when I say I need a term for those trying to re-define words or terms to suit their own agenda. What is the term for this sort of thing. A 'right" has a traditional dictionary sort of definition and has been in use for a long time.

Those who want "housing" to be guaranteed by some one else , usually taxpayers, have been trying to get us use to thinking of it as a "right" just by repeatedly calling it a "right." I can see the "need" for housing. In fact housing is among the reasons I put up with unplesant job conditions during my working life. I do see that people need housing but do not see that need as being a right. I paid rent most of my life to have housing and paid cash to own my current home. I guess now I am expected to pay taxes so others can have what I worked for?
Do not get me wrong. I can see helping folks in need, but when we allow a "need' to be morphed into a "right" the dynamic changes.
Free housing with give more people the opportunity to work and be productive. That will help our economy and decrease health costs, and increase public safety. What's not to like?

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Free housing with give more people the opportunity to work and be productive. That will help our economy and decrease health costs, and increase public safety. What's not to like?
fuck no.

why should someone get free housing to work and pay for things they want, if I am working and paying for the housing, then chump change is what I get to spend $ on.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
You are being sarcastic, right?

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; I guess we just have had very different life experiences. You may be very young and perhaps have not seen as much as I have at 73. I have seen too many examples of those getting a ride on the backs of others to believe what you just posted happens. Of course I have not seen all people and all situations, so may have missed a few of the more noble minded.

Also just as FreePenguin posted, some other chump is going to have to be working to pay for his/her own way thru life and then be required to pay so someone else gets the "free" ride. I put free in quotes because it is not actually free, just that someone else has to pay.
There is a myth about a great horn of plenty. Cornucopia I think it is called. A great curved snail like horn from which an endless bounty flows for all to just pick up as they want. It is a myth because the stuff of life is not free.

These ideas of if all our basic needs are met without having to strive for them, that we will do good things and make for a better society just do not ring true. I will guess you have never had to clean up a public toilet. One of my earlier jobs in the 1960's was as an usher in a walk in movie theater. I also had to clean the toilets. I saw early on how things worked. By the way the women's toilet was always the worse job. That was my first big surprise in the sense of being totally unexpected. Did not see that coming.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I remember the housing projects where they paid rent according to income. 0 income 0 rent. The buildings got trashed within a few years of being built.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Hello; I guess we just have had very different life experiences. You may be very young and perhaps have not seen as much as I have at 73. I have seen too many examples of those getting a ride on the backs of others to believe what you just posted happens. Of course I have not seen all people and all situations, so may have missed a few of the more noble minded.

Also just as FreePenguin posted, some other chump is going to have to be working to pay for his/her own way thru life and then be required to pay so someone else gets the "free" ride. I put free in quotes because it is not actually free, just that someone else has to pay.
There is a myth about a great horn of plenty. Cornucopia I think it is called. A great curved snail like horn from which an endless bounty flows for all to just pick up as they want. It is a myth because the stuff of life is not free.

These ideas of if all our basic needs are met without having to strive for them, that we will do good things and make for a better society just do not ring true. I will guess you have never had to clean up a public toilet. One of my earlier jobs in the 1960's was as an usher in a walk in movie theater. I also had to clean the toilets. I saw early on how things worked. By the way the women's toilet was always the worse job. That was my first big surprise in the sense of being totally unexpected. Did not see that coming.
someone commented about if you are government that you have no room to talk, well guess what boyo I been govie since I was 17 pretty much. but ive had side jobs, even custodial/janitorial. (snagged a job at 25 an hour at a high time lawyer facility) but let me tell you. female bathrooms are absolute disgusting. not to mention, they go through a 5lb roll of toilet paper every single day in every single stall.

but the fact is, why should I work 2-3 jobs, to pay for someones housing? I work harder for extra money to benefit my life and my toys. meanwhile people work bare minimum wage, like bare hours and complain about not making enough.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
You are being sarcastic, right?
Hello; I do understand why you can think he/she is being sarcastic, but there is a very good chance he/she is a true believer. A fellow I went to high school with was in his 50's when his grandparents died and left him a house, stocks and money. For years he went on about how the government ought to provide food and a basic income for all. He never talked about housing since his grandparents, who worked all their lives, had already taken care of that need. He always had a new car but wanted the rest of us to pay for his food and other basic needs so his inheritance money could be spent on what he desired.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Take 100 random people from all woks of life and put them in a free housing area as a science experiment. A few homes will stay nice and have laws upkept and stuff but most will fall the shambles because of the simple fact we all used to learn growing up, if you don't earn it yourself, you don't treat it as well. Exceptions to everything but the majority of people now days don't take care of things even if they earn it. My wife treats her care like a trash can even though she bought it. Humanity is more disgusting now than it's ever been. It's the old adage of giving a person a fish vs. teaching them to fish. People are on corners begging for scraps because scraps are given. If the scraps stopped, so would the begging. My dog never begs me for food from the table because I've never given him any. We all know of have known people with dogs that beg like crazy because they know it might happen if they beg enough. I'm not against helping some people out but if you don't have anything wrong with your body, get your ass up yourself like the rest of us do.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
I remember the housing projects where they paid rent according to income. 0 income 0 rent. The buildings got trashed within a few years of being built.
Hello; For many years before he died my father lived and worked in Indianapolis IN. I would drive up to visit and often took him to his VA doctor appointments. He was a Marine during WWII in the Pacific. He was wounded on Iwo Jima. He worked construction for a company which built one of those housing complexes. He would often point out one which he helped build. It was wrecked and abandoned by then.
Sponsored