Sponsored

Unemployment taxes... how do you not know?

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
Hello; No it is not a "right" enumerated in the constitution or any amendments that I know of. While I may be wrong, I do not know of any states which have enumerated housing as a "right."
It's a human right which is higher than the U.S. rights.
Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
They didn't read the stories, just looked at the pictures.
Hello; OK. This is strange. I sorta recall the pictures but not well enough. I still need a term to use so I can put a label on such things which are trying to corrupt a traditional word or concept. Something more specific than the more general "cancel culture".
"Politically incorrect" is around but not what i am looking for.

One of my favorites from the distant past was "ethically challenged" for those without a moral compass.

NFG19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT PP1
Also gas is rapidly on the rise yay!

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
It's a human right which is higher than the U.S. rights.
Hello; This is a good enough example of what I am asking about when I say I need a term for those trying to re-define words or terms to suit their own agenda. What is the term for this sort of thing. A 'right" has a traditional dictionary sort of definition and has been in use for a long time.

Those who want "housing" to be guaranteed by some one else , usually taxpayers, have been trying to get us use to thinking of it as a "right" just by repeatedly calling it a "right." I can see the "need" for housing. In fact housing is among the reasons I put up with unplesant job conditions during my working life. I do see that people need housing but do not see that need as being a right. I paid rent most of my life to have housing and paid cash to own my current home. I guess now I am expected to pay taxes so others can have what I worked for?
Do not get me wrong. I can see helping folks in need, but when we allow a "need' to be morphed into a "right" the dynamic changes.

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Hello; Yes, up around 50 cents a gallon since early November around me.
I was paying about 2 bucks sams and Costco 2.20 at shells bucks a gallon literally 2 months ago.

It’s 3 at Sam’s and Costco, and 3.66 at shell today.

Insane

NFG19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT PP1
It was around $1.70 for 93 now it $3.20 it’s going up everyday!

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
I was paying about 2 bucks sams and Costco 2.20 at shells bucks a gallon literally 2 months ago.

It’s 3 at Sam’s and Costco, and 3.66 at shell today.

Insane
Hello; The current excuse will be the freeze in Texas, but it was going up well before that. In fact the price had been going down a few cents just before the Freeze. Now it goes up about every day.
But you are much worse off than me so far. We will have at least two more years of this and maybe more.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
It was around $1.70 for 93 now it $3.20 it’s going up everyday!
Hello; That is extreme. That is a buck fifty more. I thought my 50 cents for 87 octane was bad enough.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
When the plandemic hit and all the restaurants shut down, my oldest daughter was furloughed. During the 3 months she was out of work, the $600 kicker was more than she made working 40 hours, and she also got her regular unemployment. Fast forward 3 months and they reopened and called people back to work, those who refused to return were reported to the state unemployment bureau and then their benefits were cut off. Then they came running back for their jobs, some of them were then turned away because they had already been replaced.

The employees who returned right away now are panicking because they owe taxes now. When you make almost half of your yearly income in unemployment in 3 months and don't pay any taxes on it, you will owe taxes for it, especially if you no longer have kids to claim. Luckily my daughter was not one of them, I convinced her to pay taxes upfront. Now some of her co-workers are mad at her because she is getting a return and they owe. She actually told one of them "It's not my fault your stupid"

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I havnt been out to eat in a year, stigma behind it. Wear mask to go in, etc.. dumb.

Prices gone up too. So we cook everything or get takeout to go.

I feel bad for restraurajrs because I’m not the only one who feels this way. Seems like a chore to actually go to a diner now

Gonna kill a lot of places I assume

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Back before the inauguration I was paying around 1.85 for 87 at both shell and BP, on Jan 20 it shot up to 1.99. It's been steadily increasing ever since, currently 87 is 2.69 a gallon.

Since the wife and I are empty nesters now with dual incomes, we eat out or get take out every day. When we go into a restaurant, they are dead compared to what it was like B.C. (before covid) we have resorted to giving a minimum of 20% tip just to help out the servers. B.C. the norm was 10-12% and we would adjust accordingly based on quality of the service and food. Now our baseline is 20% and we adjust from there. What I have noticed is most of the servers who are actually working in the industry now have upped their game to maximize their tips to compensate for the lack of customers and half of the tables that they had before.

Last edited:

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
07 335is, 08 LR2, 13 Tahoe, 18 Mustang GT x2
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, it has to do with the fact that people like Exxon Mobil lost $20 billion last quarter, and were somewhat tired of giving gas away for "free", as with Covid forcing others out of jobs, and others to work from home, the demand had gone down sharply.

Anybody remember when the price for a barrel of oil was negative? No joke, it happened on 4/20.

https://markets.businessinsider.com/commodities/oil-price?type=wti&op=1

1614746341376.png

Anyhow, prices are rising not because of who is in office, but because companies are tired of losing money, by them manipulating the supply, they can then flex their muscle to keep ahead of the demand, instead of losing $20 billion for another quarter, and having all of their shareholders pull money out of the company, further devaluing the top executive bonuses. I mean, especially considering that experts say that we'll run out of oil in the next 30-50 years, it'd be a bad idea for them to just give it away.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, it has to do with the fact that people like Exxon Mobil lost $20 billion last quarter, and were somewhat tired of giving gas away for "free", as with Covid forcing others out of jobs, and others to work from home, the demand had gone down sharply.

Anybody remember when the price for a barrel of oil was negative? No joke, it happened on 4/20.

https://markets.businessinsider.com/commodities/oil-price?type=wti&op=1

1614746341376.png

Anyhow, prices are rising not because of who is in office, but because companies are tired of losing money, by them manipulating the supply, they can then flex their muscle to keep ahead of the demand, instead of losing $20 billion for another quarter, and having all of their shareholders pull money out of the company, further devaluing the top executive bonuses. I mean, especially considering that experts say that we'll run out of oil in the next 30-50 years, it'd be a bad idea for them to just give it away.
Hello; That particular zero was at the height of the pandemic scares and lockdowns. Also it was ten months ago. I may have it wrong but oil is often traded on "futures". It is in my understanding a sort of bet traders make is based on speculation of future demand and supply. The climate for oil production has for sure been changed since Jan 20. Demand likely is up some. The stage was set with a change in policies done right away and with the expectation more such policies will be coming along. I did figure prices would go back to pre pandemic when demand picked up, but not to the tune some have reported. Policies do make a difference and will continue to do so. Carry on.

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
07 335is, 08 LR2, 13 Tahoe, 18 Mustang GT x2
Vehicle Showcase
Hello; That particular zero was at the height of the pandemic scares and lockdowns. Also it was ten months ago. I may have it wrong but oil is often traded on "futures". It is in my understanding a sort of bet traders make is based on speculation of future demand and supply. The climate for oil production has for sure been changed since Jan 20. Demand likely is up some. The stage was set with a change in policies done right away and with the expectation more such policies will be coming along. I did figure prices would go back to pre pandemic when demand picked up, but not to the tune some have reported. Policies do make a difference and will continue to do so. Carry on.
True, but Exxon just lost $20 billion last quarter and Royal Dutch wasn't too far behind, so as all of them were taking quite a hurting, I just don't see them going "haw shucks" and writing those off. In fact, I'd almost guess that they're in cahoots with OPEC, and Motley Fool seems to agree as well.
https://markets.businessinsider.com/commodities/news/these-oil-stocks-are-throwing-caution-to-the-wind-9870225 said:
While recovering demand has helped push oil higher, it's getting a lot of support from OPEC and other producers, which are holding back supply. Most oil companies plan to keep their production flat this year, since the market doesn't need any more oil.
I could care either way, I run e85 and picked up a bunch of XOM for cheap and hope it'll rebound nicely. Here's hoping you guys luck out just the same.
Sponsored