Sponsored

Under Hood Air Management at Speed

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
PSA: If you're going to track your Mach 1 - open up the vents to relieve the air underneath the hood. This Mach 1 (from the Edmunds YouTube video review) had some serious hood lift at 120+ mph coming down the straight at Willow Springs. Note that when parked, the hood gap was fine - it just did this at high speeds causing a lot of lift on the front end.

Mach 1 Hood.PNG
Sponsored

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
First thing I did was change out the OE extractors. However, only the right side can be safely done. Trimming the left side will remove the water drain channels built into the hood liner. Doing that will cause the CAI to ingest water. Not what one wants in a dd !

dhborden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Chassis# M1869, Iconic Silver
Just curious, were the faux fog light covers in place or removed?

Sponsored

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
But you don't do this with GT, PP2 or GT350/500. It must be similar with their hood. Or on highway at these high speeds. Speaking of hood lift, I was wondering about it when I saw these photos, looks different than on promo pics.

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
But you don't do this with GT, PP2 or GT350/500. It must be similar with their hood. Or on highway at these high speeds. Speaking of hood lift, I was wondering about it when I saw these photos, looks different than on promo pics.
Did you insert the wrong link, goes to a thread on Blue Mach 1.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
PSA: If you're going to track your Mach 1 - open up the vents to relieve the air underneath the hood. This Mach 1 (from the Edmunds YouTube video review) had some serious hood lift at 120+ mph coming down the straight at Willow Springs. Note that when parked, the hood gap was fine - it just did this at high speeds causing a lot of lift on the front end.

Mach 1 Hood.PNG
Someone in a YT video used string taped on the hood vents to test it closed vs open. Opening the vents up more had very little effect.

You'll likely do better to install some ACTUAL hood vents or GT350 style fenders

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Hood lock sales gonna go haywire. :crazy:

Sponsored

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
Correct link. Notice the hood gap in this photo. Seems bigger than here. But maybe it wasn't fully closed 😁
Must be old eyes, dont see it. The FJG at speed looks like the hood is actually bowing. The right side on mine has a large irregularly shaped rectangle in the insulation under the hood vent and the left side has two smaller rectangular holes under the hood vent.

OP
OP
Idaho2018GTPremium

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Agree, the PP1, PP2, have the same dinky hood vents. The GT350 I believe has a larger vent so it may not be an issue.

I think the hood in the screen grab I posted of the FJG Mach 1 the hood is actually bending or bowing upward. The photo in that blue Mach 1 appears to show a wide horizontal panel gap, rather than a hood bowing up. This also shows the same car at a stop from a similar angle but opposite side, and the hood is fine:

1621116015720.png

1621116137698.png

dhborden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Chassis# M1869, Iconic Silver
I look forward to seeing how others are dealing with this if it is a real issue. I don't doubt the pics given I watched the hood of my 2015 GT lift and vibrate when I went past 100 mph on the track. (I have not noticed that in my Mach 1 when "approaching" that speed on highways with higher speed limits.)

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Must be old eyes, dont see it. The FJG at speed looks like the hood is actually bowing. The right side on mine has a large irregularly shaped rectangle in the insulation under the hood vent and the left side has two smaller rectangular holes under the hood vent.
Those are drain holes. They are positioned to keep water out of the CAI