Sponsored

Unconventional bumper dent repair?

RaceRed17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP Race Red
So a relative who shall remain unnamed slowing backed into my 2017 gt in the driveway yesterday while they were coasting in neutral. My passenger side bumper popped out from where it connects to the body of the car near the wheel well.

Thank goodness there was no paint damage, and the factory did not include the screw for the front bumper on that side, so I just popped the bumper cover back in no problem.

However, there is a subtle, flat impression now on my front bumper where the side of the bumper curves to the front. Has anyone here successfully removed dents from a plastic bumper cover? I see where some use hot water or a hairdryer to heat the paint and push the dent out, and some even use compressed air upside down.

Has anyone here tried any of these methods? Are they just gimmicks and harmful to the paint?
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
So a relative who shall remain unnamed slowing backed into my 2017 gt in the driveway yesterday while they were coasting in neutral. My passenger side bumper popped out from where it connects to the body of the car near the wheel well.

Thank goodness there was no paint damage, and the factory did not include the screw for the front bumper on that side, so I just popped the bumper cover back in no problem.

However, there is a subtle, flat impression now on my front bumper where the side of the bumper curves to the front. Has anyone here successfully removed dents from a plastic bumper cover? I see where some use hot water or a hairdryer to heat the paint and push the dent out, and some even use compressed air upside down.

Has anyone here tried any of these methods? Are they just gimmicks and harmful to the paint?
You probably don't want to wait but it might take care of itself. Someone hit my Syclone when it was new and twisted the rear bumper cover pretty good. I kept the bumper cover and threw it in a corner. When I looked at it a year later, it was just like new other than the paint scrapes.

OP
OP

RaceRed17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You probably don't want to wait but it might take care of itself. Someone hit my Syclone when it was new and twisted the rear bumper cover pretty good. I kept the bumper cover and threw it in a corner. When I looked at it a year later, it was just like new other than the paint scrapes.
Yeah that would be great if it fixed itself. I am not sure I can get behind that part of the bumper with my hand.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I would be very very very careful using a heat gun. They get hot fast and can blister the paint faster than you can say "oh shit".

I would stick with a hair dryer and you still need to be careful.

OP
OP

RaceRed17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Agree with that if you don't have experience with a heat gun. Also, I haven't had much luck using that method if the plastic is creased.
Yes, if I try the hairdryer, I will stay conservative with it. The plastic does not seem to be creased. I tried to capture a picture of the flat spot, but it is difficult to see on camera, which I guess is a good thing.
Sponsored