Sponsored

Unbelievable racket from the door when car sits in the cold. What could it be?

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Hey gang, curious if this has happened to anybody else. Fortunately, it only happens twice (in Marfa, TX), when car sat outside, in the cold. And both times just to go to a restaurant, fortunately. The racket was unbelievable. Lowering the window just a little bit stopped it completely, so that's what I had to do. It'd had driven me NUTS if it had done it for the 800 miles left I had on that trip. Heck, even for 10 miles. Ha ha. Has this happened to anybody else?

At any rate, I need to remove the door panel for the driver's door to fix a super annoying rattle of the crappy plastic piece above the door armrest, which is constant now. So I want to fix that stupid 'window' rattle too, now that the panel will be off. And any other possible source of noise, so need a list of possible rattles folks :).
1. Insert above door armrest. Plastic rivets are not tight enough, allowing those rattles. Will fix it by adding 'shims' somewhere, somehow, so there's no more play. Should be simple enough, but just have to figure out how, once I have the panel out.
2. Racket with window up and cold outside. No idea what it is, but it should be related to having the window all the way up, so what could it be? I'm going to have to break the moisture barrier to get in there, but hope I can put it back the same way it was before. We'll see. Hopefully folks who have removed the door panel already can make suggestions what to do in there. Window is tight, and no noise except when everything is cold, so no idea what I'm dealing with there.
3. Add anything else to the list :) . Thank you guys.
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I think the window thing is caused by the door latch not being aligned well enough. At least I remember reading that on here.

OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
So the INTERIOR door latch, right? That helps. The latch itself is attached to the door panel, and secured to the door with a bolt under a cover, if I remember correctly (will have to review again a video on how to remove that damn door panel). So it has to be the rod or cable touching the window or door skin then, right? I'll scrutinize it once I remove the panel. Unfortunately, I won't be able to see the rod/cable as it sits with the door panel in place, since you have to pull it out, but what I'll probably do is wrap whatever it is in 'Tesa' tape, so it doesn't make any noise if it touches something. Read it's a royal PITA to remove the door latch cable/rod, so hope I can do it, to be able to work on the panel inside my house, and also tackle that other job. Thanks man.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I’ve read a few threads on here in the last that some of the door rattles were caused by the metal clips that are inserted into the door shell. To remedy, you can pull th clips and use felt tape or even electrical tape to damper the metal to metal contact.

The other source of a rattle would be a harness has come loose and is vibrating off the door shell if it’s making contact.

Let me ask this too - at night, is your upper door release still illuminated? If not, it’s possible the LED assembly and harness fell out and is dangling in the back side of the door panel against the door shell.

OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Thank you for your input. You know, I haven't driven at night for a long time, so need to check in the dark garage for that. And also thank you for the tip on the clips... but hope you're not talking about the clips that bite into plastic tabs, since you can't remove them without basically destroying the clips, and while moving them, you can also damage the plastic, and when you put new clips, they'd have even more play than when you removed the door panel. That's why I was so hesitant having to remove the damn panel, since those clips bite into the plastic when you pull them, creating play that can lead to extra noise. Will try to put drops of 'crazy glue' while pushing them down, to hopefully keep them from being loose. Thank you again to all who helped :).

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Elp_jc

Check this thread out it may offer some more door rattle fixes:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/front-passenger-buzz-rattle.24718/#post-3016198

Also in that same thread, in Post # 7, you will see the door shell with panel removed. I have taken this same image and attached it here - BUT reference the GREEN circles around the metal clips. Those clips make metal to metal contact. Some M6G owners have found those to being a source of rattle or noise from the doors. That’s what I was referencing in my prior post.

C0F47528-293F-46A8-B3BA-7E5E5BE5A904.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
AWESOME! Thank you very much. I'll definitely put Tesa tape where those metal clips go, to eliminate them as a source of noise. And same thing for the exposed hard-plastic line that attaches to the door handle. Could that be the source of the racket when cold? I was hoping not having to open up the cavity, but according to your link, I might have to. Oh well. Better tackle every possible source of noise once panels are off.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AWESOME! Thank you very much. I'll definitely put Tesa tape where those metal clips go, to eliminate them as a source of noise. And same thing for the exposed hard-plastic line that attaches to the door handle. Could that be the source of the racket when cold? I was hoping not having to open up the cavity, but according to your link, I might have to. Oh well. Better tackle every possible source of noise once panels are off.
The Tesa tape should help; really anything in between the metal clips and the metal door shell will quell any rattles.

Definitely check out the posted link as the door rattle issue for that OP was harnesses behind the plastic water barrier, which he outlined in his other images (and his red circle in the image I posted for you).

blacksox28

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Manny
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible 10r80
Hey gang, curious if this has happened to anybody else. Fortunately, it only happens twice (in Marfa, TX), when car sat outside, in the cold. And both times just to go to a restaurant, fortunately. The racket was unbelievable. Lowering the window just a little bit stopped it completely, so that's what I had to do. It'd had driven me NUTS if it had done it for the 800 miles left I had on that trip. Heck, even for 10 miles. Ha ha. Has this happened to anybody else?

At any rate, I need to remove the door panel for the driver's door to fix a super annoying rattle of the crappy plastic piece above the door armrest, which is constant now. So I want to fix that stupid 'window' rattle too, now that the panel will be off. And any other possible source of noise, so need a list of possible rattles folks :).
1. Insert above door armrest. Plastic rivets are not tight enough, allowing those rattles. Will fix it by adding 'shims' somewhere, somehow, so there's no more play. Should be simple enough, but just have to figure out how, once I have the panel out.
2. Racket with window up and cold outside. No idea what it is, but it should be related to having the window all the way up, so what could it be? I'm going to have to break the moisture barrier to get in there, but hope I can put it back the same way it was before. We'll see. Hopefully folks who have removed the door panel already can make suggestions what to do in there. Window is tight, and no noise except when everything is cold, so no idea what I'm dealing with there.
3. Add anything else to the list :) . Thank you guys.
Hi were you ever able to fix the window rattling issue from when it is all the way up? It's happening on my driver side mirror and it's driving me nuts lol. If I lower the window even a tiny bit all the noise goes away. Thanks
Sponsored