Sponsored

Unable to read oil level - GT350

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
Man, no dealer seems to be able to get this stuff right it seems. Sucks.
Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Hey Guys, not sure if anyone had been following, but my engine blew up because of a dropped valve.

However, the dealer swapped the engine and I've been driving my car for a week. Before I picked it up, I checked the oil and it was exactly between the two holes.

I checked it again this morning and it was clearly overfilled. Maybe they had run the car before I checked it at the dealership and the oil didn't have to drain back to the pan. When I checked it today, it was after the car was standing overnight.

I have attached some pictures below. Does this look acceptable? I would hate for oil to find it's way to the crank, foam up and blow another engine.

IMG_2492.JPG

IMG_2495.JPG
Have you checked it when it's fully warm after letting it sit for 15 minutes, as described in the manual? It does look high, but it may still be fine once it's warmed up.

OP
OP
PRTK350

PRTK350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350
Have you checked it when it's fully warm after letting it sit for 15 minutes, as described in the manual? It does look high, but it may still be fine once it's warmed up.
Yes I did! I first checked it when I returned home after a drive yesterday. I checked it 15 minutes after I shut off the engine and the level was high.
I again checked this morning and the level was very similar.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Yes I did! I first checked it when I returned home after a drive yesterday. I checked it 15 minutes after I shut off the engine and the level was high.
What's the worry from my readings that flat plane will burn thru that in a no time.

Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Well, then, it's over filled. If you're DIY-enabled, it's really easy to lower the level a quart or two so you can get it right. If not, then the dealer's the best option.

The DIY solution is simple - put the car in the air and let the engine cool right down to room temp or slightly above. Slide underneath, turn the drain plug 120 degrees anti-clockwise to unlock it, then ease it back until oil is just dribbling out. Wait patiently for a quart or two to dribble out. Then push the plug back in, turn it 120 degrees clockwise to lock it in place, wipe up any drips, and check the level on the dipstick and top up with new oil if required.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I guess we all need a wise guy in our lives.
Aw ok a 350 owner .:rain:
That is most likely no more the a pint too 1/2 qt at the very most. Like I said wise guy or not run it will not hurt a thing.

Live experiences, wet the filter, (1/2qt) dumped in 10 qts and what was left from the qt used to wet the filter. Both holes covered, am I worried hell no .

Make a big deal out of a little over fill, and clueless as to why

Last edited:

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Or for a few bucks you can go to the hardware store and buy a hand operated fluid removal kit that has a thin hose that will fit down the dipstick tube and take out the excess oil that way. Less messy, no lifting required.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Or for a few bucks you can go to the hardware store and buy a hand operated fluid removal kit that has a thin hose that will fit down the dipstick tube and take out the excess oil that way. Less messy, no lifting required.
Been there, done that, couldn't make it work. I tried to do an oil sample that way and the dipstick tube is so narrow that it won't allow the plastic tube to go down. I tried a number of different tubes and in the end I concluded that a plastic tube that's stiff enough to go down is too fat to fit, while one that's thin enough to fit is too limp to make it to the bottom.
Sponsored