Sponsored

unable to change steering feel (2018)

samin62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
hey fellas, long time lurker and first time actually registering and posting!

I picked up my new 2018 GT Premium 401a last monday. Absolutely having a blast with this. Coming from an exclusive pick up daily for 5 years to this is such a new experience.

I have a problem I am trying to figure out, hopefully someone can help. I can't seem to change the steering feel in anything other than the normal driving mode. Sport+, Track, Drag, Wet/Snow will not. I get a msg saying option unavailable. So MyMode is essentially not working. The dealership couldn't answer anything while citing may be it is not supposed to change? But Ford advertises MyMode with Sport+ with comfort steering right here

any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
When you manually change the steering mode using the Steering toggle switch in the bank of (4) toggles at center console stack, can you get the steering to change modes?

When toggling up on the switch you should see on your gauge cluster the steering mode pop up - from there use the toggle to flip through the steering options (selecting which one you would like to use). After it’s selected, you *should* definitely feel a noticeable difference in the feel of the steering response and performance.

If you still get the error when using the toggle switch - my guess is that the “As Built” dataset in your vehicle needs to be updated so that it IS an option as it should be for your vehicle.

The Ford Dealership can update the As Built data OR if you check out the DIY section on here, there is a sticky in that sub forum where folks discuss and help out with how DIYers can make such changes to the As Built datasets at their leisure at home.

Since your car is new and if that function is corrupt, I recommend taking it to your closest Ford Dealer Service Center and demonstrate the issue to the Service Writer ir Shop foreman. Discussing it over the phone or without demoing it so they can see the issue isn’t going to help - gotta show them in person with that type of malfunction.

OP
OP

samin62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
When you manually change the steering mode using the Steering toggle switch in the bank of (4) toggles at center console stack, can you get the steering to change modes?

When toggling up on the switch you should see on your gauge cluster the steering mode pop up - from there use the toggle to flip through the steering options (selecting which one you would like to use). After it’s selected, you *should* definitely feel a noticeable difference in the feel of the steering response and performance.

If you still get the error when using the toggle switch - my guess is that the “As Built” dataset in your vehicle needs to be updated so that it IS an option as it should be for your vehicle.

The Ford Dealership can update the As Built data OR if you check out the DIY section on here, there is a sticky in that sub forum where folks discuss and help out with how DIYers can make such changes to the As Built datasets at their leisure at home.

Since your car is new and if that function is corrupt, I recommend taking it to your closest Ford Dealer Service Center and demonstrate the issue to the Service Writer ir Shop foreman. Discussing it over the phone or without demoing it so they can see the issue isn’t going to help - gotta show them in person with that type of malfunction.
Thanks for the answer

as previously stated, toggling the steering switch in any driving mode other than normal will tell me "function not available"

I went to the dealership, they had no idea and msged ford engineering. The response came back as saying some vehicles don't have that function. Which is vague as hell. But I went through the owners manual from ford site and this bit was interesting.

Note: If your vehicle has adaptive dampers, the steering setting is optimized to work with each drive mode. Other steering settings may not be available.

I do have the magneride system. So I am out of luck then? Ugh I wish it was more clear when buying it.

DukeGaGa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
Thanks for the answer

as previously stated, toggling the steering switch in any driving mode other than normal will tell me "function not available"

I went to the dealership, they had no idea and msged ford engineering. The response came back as saying some vehicles don't have that function. Which is vague as hell. But I went through the owners manual from ford site and this bit was interesting.

Note: If your vehicle has adaptive dampers, the steering setting is optimized to work with each drive mode. Other steering settings may not be available.

I do have the magneride system. So I am out of luck then? Ugh I wish it was more clear when buying it.
Something isn't right, I would suggest you check the as built data, I remember changing steering wheel modes in all the modes, but I can check it to make sure when I get off work today.

OP
OP

samin62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Something isn't right, I would suggest you check the as built data, I remember changing steering wheel modes in all the modes, but I can check it to make sure when I get off work today.
Thank you, I would very much appreciate that.

Sponsored

DukeGaGa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was wrong, you can't change steering mode when pre-defined driving modes are selected, this also includes saving a pre-defined driving mode as your "My Mode".

hawkbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT Premium PP
Uhhh are you sure you can't? I sure can change the steering modes in sport and the other preset modes - they just dont bloody stay that way in sport...but then again I dont have magnaride..

DukeGaGa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Uhhh are you sure you can't? I sure can change the steering modes in sport and the other preset modes - they just dont bloody stay that way in sport...but then again I dont have magnaride..
yep, magneride will not be able to change

hbash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Howard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I find this afternoon, that I can change steering mode ONLY when I am in Normal Mode. I could swear I used to be able to change the steering in other Modes. I may just be blinded by the beauty of my Ceramic Coated Velocity Blue Beast.

Matthewstorm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
I tried like heck to change steering modes. Then I realized it's only possible in Normal Mode. That's it. Kinda lame.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I tried like heck to change steering modes. Then I realized it's only possible in Normal Mode. That's it. Kinda lame.
I have ”My Mode“ set as follows:
Handling- Sport +
Steering - Normal
Exhaust -Track

So handling and steering are different.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Handling- Sport +
Steering - Normal
Exhaust -Track

Do you have Performance Package or Magneride?

I remember hearing its the Performance Package that limits this.

Matthewstorm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
Handling- Sport +
Steering - Normal
Exhaust -Track

So, how exactly did you do this?

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
So, how exactly did you do this?
Honestly, it's been so long since I set this that I do not remember. I know you have to push the pony key on the steering wheel and go into My Mode. You pick your settings and save.
Sponsored