Sponsored

U.K - My Insurance would not allow exhaust upgrade on 2020 GT

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
Since it's a requirement for insurance companies to declare any modification, why don't they do so (and raise the premium as appropriate) instead of refusing to cover the car?
If they don’t insure a modified car then they can’t be successfully sued for being complicit in having allowed a too-fast car to be operated when said vehicle is involved in a really tragic accident.

The extent to which litigiousness has come to drive corporate decisions has devolved in a CYA mentality. I’m aware of a manufacturer of hunting rifle sling swivels who couldn’t establish a banking relationship for similar reasons.
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Regulations for regulations sake are coming to America. Wait a min, they are here just not as draconian, yet.

We have lost our identity yet the rest of the world still wants to come here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Moaslon

Moaslon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dmitrii
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Grabber Lime, 2016 BMW 116d M Sport
Since it's a requirement for insurance companies to declare any modification, why don't they do so (and raise the premium as appropriate) instead of refusing to cover the car?
Maybe this company refuses to do it for me ( even for an additional premium ) because of my age (26).

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Changing mufflers is not like removing cats. Your age has nothing to do with it. The war on ICE cars is here.

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Age can be a big factor with insurance premiums in the UK (and has been for a long time) :frown:

WD :like:

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Age can be a big factor with insurance premiums in the UK (and has been for a long time) :frown:

WD :like:
Is here to, but mufflers don't count as a modification. A blower does, so do turbos. They won't deny coverage if you install said parts and not tell them. They just won't cover them.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
If they don’t insure a modified car then they can’t be successfully sued for being complicit in having allowed a too-fast car to be operated when said vehicle is involved in a really tragic accident.

The extent to which litigiousness has come to drive corporate decisions has devolved in a CYA mentality. I’m aware of a manufacturer of hunting rifle sling swivels who couldn’t establish a banking relationship for similar reasons.
That makes sense for a supercharger but not a catback exhaust.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That makes sense for a supercharger but not a catback exhaust.
Unfortunately it doesn’t have to make sense. Logic is out the door and many companies are simply becoming absolutists. To see where this is headed take a look at the prohibited dog breeds under your homeowners policy.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately it doesn’t have to make sense. Logic is out the door and many companies are simply becoming absolutists. To see where this is headed take a look at the prohibited dog breeds under your homeowners policy.
Prohibited dog breeds presumably means they won't cover injuries caused by those breeds. Now, what if we were required to call the insurance company and list the dogs living in our homes, and face citations & fines from the police if we don't? That would be equivalent to these UK modification rules.

Sponsored

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prohibited dog breeds presumably means they won't cover injuries caused by those breeds. Now, what if we were required to call the insurance company and list the dogs living in our homes, and face citations & fines from the police if we don't? That would be equivalent to these UK modification rules.
It actually means they will refuse to cover you at all if you own one of these breeds. If you had a claim, dog related or not and it was discovered you owned one, I’m not certain what would happen.

I’m not implying we’re as draconian as the UK yet, only that we’re not lagging by a lot. In the interest of staying non-political I won’t specify topics but just compare UK restrictions in other areas and then assess the direction the US is heading. It’s kinda scary.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
aye, UK different from US when it comes to car mods / changes so OP doing the right thing by not changing anything that wont be covered.
Sponsored