Moaslon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dmitrii
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Grabber Lime, 2016 BMW 116d M Sport
Hi everyone :thumbsup:
I am based in London and have a 2020 GT which is on lease, so I may end up giving it back to Ford in 3 years time.

Ideally I would want to make the car louder without spending thousands and so that I could put the original pieces at the end and return the car as stock.

I have very little knowledge about all this. But the main thing that i would want are the following:
1. The car to pass the MOT and be road legal
2. Can easily put the stock exhaust back at the end if needed
3. I would want to remain being able to control the valves on the active exhaust.

If the stock active exhaust sounds for me as 5/10 in terms of loudness, I would want it to be around 7/10.

In terms of budget, i would be considering the following:

Option 1: within £1000 (including installation)
Option 2: Within £2000 (including installation).

Also, does anyone know if this will affect my insurance by much? My insurance is currently over £3K,

Many thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Speak to Robbie at Steeda UK.

Personally, I'd get an H-pipe to replace the resonator as it'll give you a deeper tone with a little more volume and you get to keep the active part of the system. It'll pass the MOT (although you'll only need to do that when the car is 3 years old) and your insurance should only go up a little.

https://www.steeda.co.uk/?gclid=Cj0...fJxFsK9b9_qZ5mvn0MGOoY905g8OL4UoaAt96EALw_wcB

OP
OP
Moaslon

Moaslon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dmitrii
Vehicle(s)
Speak to Robbie at Steeda UK.

Personally, I'd get an H-pipe to replace the resonator as it'll give you a deeper tone with a little more volume and you get to keep the active part of the system. It'll pass the MOT (although you'll only need to do that when the car is 3 years old) and your insurance should only go up a little.

https://www.steeda.co.uk/?gclid=Cj0...fJxFsK9b9_qZ5mvn0MGOoY905g8OL4UoaAt96EALw_wcB
Would this involve cutting & welding? I mean would i be able to return the car back to stock after if needed?

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
Would this involve cutting & welding? I mean would i be able to return the car back to stock after if needed?
It would be cut and clamp. Pretty easy to return to stock. The same would be true for any axleback. The stock active system sounds pretty good, so I'd agree with the recommendation to just do a resonator delete. Personally I'd go with an X-pipe for that particular set of mufflers, but H would sound very good too.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Ideally I would want to make the car louder without spending thousands and so that I could put the original pieces at the end and return the car as stock.
Reach out to MILLTEK. Located in the UK.

https://www.millteksport.com/?SID=bcohv6oj7h823g7v1mo5pmb05s

As mentioned Steeda UK is another great option.

The sound police are brutal in your local so be cautious in what you choose.
The guys that suggest retaining the OEM mufflers are 100% on point. The OEM resonator changed out for an X or H pipe is the best and most cost effective solution.

Check out Mazman posts.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/h-or-x-pipe-my-2-cents-i-have-both.126777/

Last edited:

Sponsored

pr8196

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Proj
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT 5.0 Need for Green - Custom Pack 2 with Magneride adaptive suspension, rear spoiler
I got a borla switchfire x pipe installed last summer to replace stock resonator in my 2019 gt. supplied by nemesis UK (fantastic and helpful guys) and installed by Mike@Modurstang (everyone knows Mike). It’s not that loud, but louder than stock resonator. Doesn’t annoy neighbors, I live in a close. Sounds like beethoven. Only issue which i have seen lately is active exhaust option not available, which could be down to the reinstall of exhaust. I am yet to get it checked to ascertain the root cause, but one will have to take care of wire harness to active exhaust device. There should be enough room left so as the wire doesn’t run with the chassis edge, which may cut the wires. Rest is fine. Insurance up by £45, nothing much.

OP
OP
Moaslon

Moaslon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dmitrii
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the reply everyone

So would you say that going for the H pipe is the most reasonable choice in terms of what i pay (+-£500) and what i get?
Or would it be worth to hold back and just go for something like Borla Attack or Corsa Extreme (+- £3K) one day in future?

pr8196

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Proj
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT 5.0 Need for Green - Custom Pack 2 with Magneride adaptive suspension, rear spoiler
I suggest have a word with @Nemesis UK for a impartial suggestion. I did the same and was in the same boat of h or x pipe. Nemesis were very good in hours of chat to discuss on various bits. Replacing just the resonator is a quick, cheap and easy way to improve how your exhaust sounds whilst retaining active exhaust capabilities (as everyone else has suggested here). Nemesis offers 5-10% forum discount too.
Sponsored