Sponsored

Typewriter/BBQ tick

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Can someone explain why it comes back after every oil change ( motorcraft stock)? and then seems to go away after about 1500 to 2000 miles. Like clockwork every oil change. It damn near sounds like it gets worse every time it comes back as well. So FN embarrassing taking off from a light and slow light throttle input. People turn and look and I want to yell FORD SAYS ITS FUCKING NORMAL!!!
Add ceratec. Ford says won't fix anymore. Some of those those who got new short block got the tick back again. So by now ceratec is the only cure. I got new short block and added ceratec to oil before the oil change, just gave it some miles to break piston rings in. Several thousand miles after still go through my checkpoint places to cerify I do not have it.
Sponsored

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Can someone explain why it comes back after every oil change ( motorcraft stock)? and then seems to go away after about 1500 to 2000 miles. Like clockwork every oil change. It damn near sounds like it gets worse every time it comes back as well. So FN embarrassing taking off from a light and slow light throttle input. People turn and look and I want to yell FORD SAYS ITS FUCKING NORMAL!!!
THIS. Don't overthink it. Reading all of the articles and posts about it will make your head want to explode.

ceratec.jpg

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
that ceratec in that pic is not actual current ceratec lol... its like orange now. Must be some prior formulation?? I have no idea. ^ That looks like MOS2 which did nothing for me.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
I have done the ceratec. It did seem to work but once I changed the oil it came back. There was no long lasting effects as the bottle states.

I don't want to have to add ceratec after every oil change. Ford needs to publicly explain why some vehicles do it and others don't if it's a normal characteristic for this platform.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have done the ceratec. It did seem to work but once I changed the oil it came back. There was no long lasting effects as the bottle states.

I don't want to have to add ceratec after every oil change. Ford needs to publicly explain why some vehicles do it and others don't if it's a normal characteristic for this platform.
Im adding it every change 2 bottles and I am fine with that, like 35$ per 5k miles is nothing. To me it feels like it frees up some power too. Ill add it to every car I own from now on.

Sponsored

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
that ceratec in that pic is not actual current ceratec lol... its like orange now. Must be some prior formulation?? I have no idea. ^ That looks like MOS2 which did nothing for me.
Bottle is ceratec, but liquid is not, yes :)

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP

Ceratec might have long lasting effect of some other sort, but not the one that quiets the tick :)

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
C'mon man. The picture was for attention.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C'mon man. The picture was for attention.
I just dont know why its black in the picture but orange in reality. I would have been concerned if I was expecting black liquid but it was orange so I wanted to just clear that up because ceratec is actually orange.

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
I just dont know why its black in the picture but orange in reality. I would have been concerned if I was expecting black liquid but it was orange so I wanted to just clear that up because ceratec is actually orange.
Instructions say to shake it good.When I do it comes out orange. Maybe they just didn't shake it well. Anyway all is good. :like:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
hi everyone. I apologize if this is already posted somewhere, but I just bought a 2019 Mustang GT and it has developed the Typewriter/BBQ tick at 700 miles. I am dropping it off at the dealer to have it looked at. I know in the TSB, Ford says it’s normal, but has anyone found the source of the ticking? Or has anyone had the tick and have high miles on the motor with no issues. I am concerned based on the horror stories I have heard. I will remove post if a thread has already been started about this. Haven’t had much luck finding anything that points to a source of the problem.

Welcome to the forum and S550 Ownership!

Here’s Ford’s official take on the typewriter tick:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...iter-tick”-is-a-normal-characteristic.116925/
Sponsored