Sponsored

Two sets of wheels and tires (summer and rest of year): worth it?

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
I've heard people scorn at all season tires, referring to them as 'no seasons'. I disagree with this assessment for a few reasons and put my reasons at the bottom. Anyway, wanted thoughts on whether the new All Seasons (Michelin AS3+ for ex) are almost as good as the PSS and other leading summer tires, or whether I should really get two sets of wheels and all the PITA it entails. Advantage of running one tire and wheel all year is less hassle (storage, swapping), ability to use it all year round, year round compatibility with a spare (as a spare will work with a square setup, assuming I can find a spare that fits in wheel well in the trunk). Last but not least cost: I can sell the PP wheels and tires and put it towards a nice set of light weight 19x10's. Competitive tires like RE71R's for example are notoriously short lived, esp if you drive it all summer (which I would do if I had two sets).

I do auto cross, but a few times a year and dont intend to be seriously competitive. My car wont fit neatly in most classes where this would make a difference anyway (due to my varied mods focused on handling first ignoring class rules). Additionally, I dont see myself investing in top shelf auto cross tires. So basically the question is whether the AS3+ is competitive with lasting summer tires like PSS etc.

All seasons can be pretty good:
1) The newer generation of all seasons are very capable. For example, I rented a Jeep Cherokee with Continental All-seasons (Continental True Contract or Pro Contact I think) during a recent snow/ice storm and it handled the conditions like champ (better than 95% of what was on the road).
2) I've driven the last gen Michelin AS3 and it felt incredible on mountain roads.
3) If you live in places like the Pacific NW, where the temp ranges from 35-75 80% of the year or more with wet roads, both summer and winter tires are out of place. Additionally, the weather doesn't exactly follow the seasons, so its often easy to get caught out with the wrong tire!
4) All seasons have a mileage warranty (at least the Michelins do). If you have a square setup, its not halved.
5) I am thinking driving year round in summer tires is not a good idea with the Stang. I'm having to baby the throttle almost 6 months of a year.
Sponsored

Last edited:

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I've run a second set for Blizzaks, but like you said you don't get that much snow. Right now I have a second set for extreme summer tire for autox and tracks events, with lowly max performance summers as my daily tire.

Autox is a lot more fun with a grippy tire though, even if you aren't class competitive.

If you want to get the most out of a second set and intend to run all-seasons most of the year, then consider a really sticky tire instead of the MPSS. Go with a Bridgestone RE71R, new RS4, or even a streetable competition R tire like the GT350R's Pilot Sport Cup 2

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
If I get the gist of what you're asking, my 'Stang is my one and only car; DD all year. I chose when the PZero's had to be replaced the best A/S I could afford...the Comp 2 A/S. I really wanted to be able to run this tire ~10 months out of the year and have a very high level of grip in the summer (which I can't assess, yet). I have a winter snow/ice wheel and tire that I can swap out in 30 minutes if need be. I hate driving on those Mich Xi3s though they've been superb in snow/ice in the more mild Kansas City winters.
Is it worth having two sets? In my case, yes. I have to get around in winter months and an A/S isn't going to cut it for me.

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
For me, yes. RWD + mountains + snow = must have snow tires.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I have lived in Minnesota with Conti DWS tires on a RWD and AWD car and never felt the need for winter tires. I even waited two months to get DWS tires for a Fiesta I had, too - the shop trying to get my to buy much cheaper and more available Kuhmo or some such nonsense. If you want an A/S that will deal with snow like a boss, Conti DWS FTW. Not the world's best dry handling tire - soft sidewall. But if you aren't running mountain roads every weekend and are just to and fro with a few spirited drives, they perform fine.

Sponsored

OP
OP
valentinoamoro

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
For the record, I should have mentioned. I need tires that can perform in the dry heat, rain and cold. Snow is not needed, I have my SUV for that.

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
For the record, I should have mentioned. I need tires that can perform in the dry heat, rain and cold. Snow is not needed, I have my SUV for that.
If these were my conditions, and I only got patchy cold spells, as opposed to a solid 3-4 months of cold, I would not do anything but summer tires, and it'd be 40+ degrees = Mustang; <40 degrees = SUV.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Not saying this would work for you but:
Texas 105F Dry and summer light rain no standing water I run 305/35 MPSS 19x11ET50. Below 50F I swap them off.
305 requires front body work and wouldnt do it again, lol 295 is solid.
Go for quality not just width.
For substantial rain I run 245 MP AS3 on stock 18x8, absolutely killer cold 40-60F wet performance up to 100. Narrower footprint and higher void ratio for rain is a huge advantage for hydroplane resistance. Extremely impressed w AS3 in rain below 55F; however, >50F dry cant touch the wider 305 MPSS. Would need to try a 285-305 AS3/AS3+ to really compare. AS3 >50F dry 245 I can roast at will.
NT01 305 on 18x11 for track days. 18s lighter weight and $100 less a tire per corner plus more options in 18 vs 19.

Your situation sounds like DWS06 or AS3+ some where between 245-285. Any wider and shallow tread depth hydroplaning is going to be a issue. Any narrower and you are going to roast the rears in summer.
...or get two sets.

DWS06 has historically had better snow vs AS3. AS3 has had better warm dry. However, Mich claims the new AS3+ equals the DWS06 snow while maintaining best dry. Allegedly...

Careful getting a second set, it might be impossible to go back to single set compromise.

Whippled 650+ to the ground.

swat 79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
If this is the case, then the BF G-Force Comp 2 A/S are at the top of the list, only beaten by the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. I did a ridiculous amount of research prior to pulling the trigger on the G-Force, and when it comes to replacing a Summer tire in all of the performance categories, they were able to match it (on a street, not track). The Michelin A/S 3+ are able to surpass that summer performance, and are better than the G-Force (but also significantly more expensive).

The Conti DWS are solid, but have a soft sidewall and don't really keep up in dry performance with the above tires. They are however the best A/S tire in the snow, and very quiet on the highway.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I've heard people scorn at all season tires, referring to them as 'no seasons'.
They really aren't optimized for any condition or specific use. Kind of like the utility infielder who's decent at most of the positions second-string at any one of them. Doesn't make them bad, just that no matter what the condition is there's always a better category for whatever that condition might be.

Anyway, wanted thoughts on whether the new All Seasons (Michelin AS3+ for ex) are almost as good as the PSS and other leading summer tires
The PSS is a true "go-to" tire for wet track day sessions. Which means plenty of margin at the much slower speeds seen in wet street driving.

Aw, hell, might as well link it here too . . . camera shake down the main straight on the last lap means 110+ mph. Wet enough?

[ame]

or whether I should really get two sets of wheels and all the PITA it entails.
It's well worth it if weather/climate conditions vary by enough during the year, especially if your driving demands are also highly variable in terms of "enthusiasm".

I do auto cross, but a few times a year and dont intend to be seriously competitive. My car wont fit neatly in most classes where this would make a difference anyway (due to my varied mods focused on handling first ignoring class rules). Additionally, I dont see myself investing in top shelf auto cross tires. So basically the question is whether the AS3+ is competitive with lasting summer tires like PSS etc.
How much chance is there that you might start running HPDE's out on the big tracks? AS3's would definitely be out of their element there with their smaller and less stable tread blocks, even more so than at autocross because higher temperatures are reached and sustained for much longer periods of time.

3) If you live in places like the Pacific NW, where the temp ranges from 35-75 80% of the year or more with wet roads, both summer and winter tires are out of place. Additionally, the weather doesn't exactly follow the seasons, so its often easy to get caught out with the wrong tire!
The AS3/3+ should be fine - it runs a little cooler where I live, and the AS3's predecessor (AS+) is what's currently on my wife's 265 HP/6MT Subaru until spring, when the PSS's will go back on.

PSS tires are drivable at least down into the 30°'s F, though you do have to go easier on the throttle than you do in the summer. As you should, (even with all-seasons, they aren't so much better that you can keep on working the throttle just like you do in the summer).

4) All seasons have a mileage warranty (at least the Michelins do). If you have a square setup, its not halved.
The PSS carries a 30,000 mile warranty (if rotated).

Norm

16MustangVet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang 5.0
the stock p zeros suck imo and in the winter its nokian hakkapeliittas or bust i love these nokians on my car.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
If these were my conditions, and I only got patchy cold spells, as opposed to a solid 3-4 months of cold, I would not do anything but summer tires, and it'd be 40+ degrees = Mustang; <40 degrees = SUV.
This.

Get a nice set of summers that are still usable near 40 (for the mornings in the early spring and fall). Go Pilot Super Sport and never look back. I have driven on them in 30 deg weather without it being an issue.

OP
OP
valentinoamoro

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
This.

Get a nice set of summers that are still usable near 40 (for the mornings in the early spring and fall). Go Pilot Super Sport and never look back. I have driven on them in 30 deg weather without it being an issue.
Thanks. I've decided to keep my stock rims - if I sell the car will swap the old rims back (not planning on selling :-) ). Ill buy some 20x10s, run 285/35.

Based on the responses on the thread I'm also not going to choose between the AS3+ or PSS in the summer. I autcrossed the PSS which i had on my BMW M6 and thought it was not grippy enough and didnt fare that well. It seems the AS3+ will be a lot worse. Sacrilege I know, but I felt the OEM Pirellis have more dry grip compared to the PSS. Granted, its no where near as confidence inspiring in the rain and traction loss is much more abrupt.

Question now is, do I go with AS3+ on stock rims Oct-May and go with RE71R or equivalent extreme performancr in the summer (Jun-Sept) on the 10 inch lighter rims or PSS (next gen has been announced I read recently) all year round on the lighter rims. In latter case stock rims will just be stored.
Sponsored

Last edited: