Twister revived... but wait...there's a twist...

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
What is more interesting about a Mach E than a Tesla Model Y? The Tesla has better speed/acceleration, better range, significantly better charging network, lots more gimmicks for the sake of being interesting. The Mach E gets most of its interest off things like this, using the interesting legendary namesakes of actually interesting cars to draw attention to it.

Maybe that’s just me, I’m known to be wrong from time to time.
No you are not wrong. I think we are just looking at it from two different points of view. You from the technology side, me from the sales side. I agree that Tesla's tech is certainly more interesting. It should be conceding how long they have been doing this. Also the tech started with the "S" which even when it first came out was far more expensive that anything else at the time. Over the years the trickle down effect has produced that tech in the newer lower priced models.

On the sales side the Mach-E is pure fire. As I said I have driven them. I much prefer the interior of a Mach-E to a Tesla (I have only driven a "S" and was a passenger in a "X"). My friend who has the GT (along with a Shelby and a few other real Mustangs) drove a "Y" and, quite frankly, thought it was a piece of junk. I have no opinion on that.

The Mustang name brought a lot of eyes to the Mach-E when it first came out. Today, not so much. I guess that's why they are bringing back names like the Twister.

SINBUSTER007

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
19 Edge ST, 17 Escape, 12 Boss, 15 GT, 66 V8 Coupe Auto, Kids Boss 302
here is the thing.....the EV market is here to stay... until they find something better.
the better question to ask is this... would the Mach E sell as it is if it didnt have the "mustang" name tagged to it? probably not, just another EV from X manufacture.... marketing they did a good job, but doesnt set well with others.
its change. i hate change. but it happens....we are in that transition phase now. i really dont see the use for the "twister" on this but thats just me. and again until something better comes along that satisfies the bean counters in DC then this is what we have.

i have a friend who has a Tesla (whatever model who knows....pick a letter) and he raves all about it when we get together....i have yet to take a ride in it....he thinks its cool that he can change his horn or "outside" speakers to make fart sounds, or some other nerdy sound all with the push of his phone.....i could care less but he does. thats the draw now. he is 30. younger kids (most) dont care about ICE cars....

In terms of technology, the Twister Special Edition has a rather neat trick up its sleeve. It and the rest of the range will be made available with the new Qualcomm Snapdragon SA8155P chip, which improves the vehicle's infotainment system and technological capabilities.

quote above from the article.....
if it doesnt involve their phones they are not interested.
muscle heads are dying off and most big companies know our time is limited so they are going after the younger generations. maybe one day when i dont have a choice i will get an EV.
package or no package. (although i think when that happens we will not be driving our own cars anymore and then what fun is that?)

bikeman, not trying to change the subject per say but its the way of the car industry now.....
tech drives the younger generation. HP drove the older generation back in the day....
and the twister pack on this is exactly that.....a tech upgrade.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
would the Mach E sell as it is if it didnt have the "mustang" name tagged to it?
No, not at the launch but that has changed. My dealer told me people are asking for the electric CUV, not the Mustang or quite frankly, the Mach-E. The marketing department did its job.

its change. i hate change. but it happens....we are in that transition phase now. i really dont see the use for the "twister" on this but thats just me
The reason for bringing back this name (and most likely many more to come) is my answer above. ford needs to keep the Mach-E fresh. This is the way they are doing it.

maybe one day when i dont have a choice i will get an EV. package or no package.
My wife wanted a Mach-E in 2021 but the timing for her lease was off. Now that she has seen the GT and the Shelby that's all she wants. And you know what mama wants..........

bikeman, not trying to change the subject per say but its the way of the car industry now.....
tech drives the younger generation. HP drove the older generation back in the day....
and the twister pack on this is exactly that.....a tech upgrade.
Agreed, 100%

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible, 2015 VW Passat TDI
sorry but this is just stupid. complete fail

1st that is cyber orange.....they actually have a color on the mustang that is called "Twister Orange".....maybe they should have used that color instead....at least it would MATCH the name!
2nd they should have done this on the current "Twister Orange" mustang for 21-22 models...
that would work....yes bringing up an oldie but goodie....they could have done tons of options with this one....
3rd just shows you how much they are pushing the EV market down our throats....
DON'T USE MY TWISTER ORANGE to sell that fugitive from a Duracell factory!!! I could of taken some goodies from the original if offered, got just about everything else u can on a 'vert.

btw you folks do know there have been major recalls on the Mach-E for dangerous stuff? just google it

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Twister Orange……the other color I longed for, yet sadly didn’t have the guts to pull off. They nailed Orange with that one.

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
Twister Orange……the other color I longed for, yet sadly didn’t have the guts to pull off. They nailed Orange with that one.
You shoulda, most places I go there's nothing like that color and folks on the road, at the track, cars n coffee always tell me how much they love the Orange. Hope I'm distinctive as we drive in The Stampede next week!

TrackMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
The Mustang name brought a lot of eyes to the Mach-E when it first came out. Today, not so much. I guess that's why they are bringing back names like the Twister.
That is literally the point I was making though, they’re using the namesake of interesting cars to draw attention to a car that shouldn’t need attention drawn to it. It’s a unique car and the only EV Ford makes, it shouldn’t need to take the name of a DRAMATICALLY different car to get attention.

You’re not wrong that Tesla is well established and should be way ahead in sales as a result, but Ford is WAY more established at making, selling, marketing and supporting cars than Tesla, why is some eccentric South African able to outdo one of the biggest and oldest car companies ever? My belief is because he’s doing it better and more interesting.

Again, I find that I’m typically wrong…

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure what part of SoCal you are from but are you aware that the Mach-E is one of the most popular cars out there. So much so that Ford cannot keep up with the orders. They are already competing with Tesla with the Mach-E and kicking their ass with the Lightning. For me personally no, but many others are going for them.
To resell them. :giggle:

jblue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2021 Twister Orange GT Premium 401A Ebony Stripes
It's an awesome color! I have not seen another one in that color in the valley, get a lot of compliments on it, so it's kinda fun. Who knows, they may resurrect it again, Ford seems to do it quite often. But I hope not, was for 2 years, if I'm not mistaken, and makes it a little rarer perhaps.

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
It's an awesome color! I have not seen another one in that color in the valley, get a lot of compliments on it, so it's kinda fun. Who knows, they may resurrect it again, Ford seems to do it quite often. But I hope not, was for 2 years, if I'm not mistaken, and makes it a little rarer perhaps.
I can see your a man of taste and quality. LOL

Fetlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT MT
I just think it’s funny how people still think EV are going to be more than a niche. Middle class city commuter novelty is the ceiling for the foreseeable future.

The hard brick of technical reality is starting to accelerate towards the dream of an electrified future. You can ignore it but when you are putting gas in your home generator, doubt might start to creep in.
Unless you have battery backup charged from Solar Panels on your roof. And soon the EVs will be the battery backup, as the Ford Lightning illustrates. Six dollar gas is gone for now, but not for too long is my guess. I think it may take longer than expected and things like towing and trucking even longer, but much as I love my Mustang, the future looks to be electric. The future also looks to have less individual car ownership as transportation becomes more of a service. 16 year olds with licenses have dropped from about 50% to about 25%. Many just don't see the need.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible
I'm pretty sure they had these same type of issues at the turn of the previous century, trying to decide between gas, steam, electric and horse. Electric will eventually win out. But, probably not in most of our lifetimes.

Fetlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT MT
It’s just an infrastructure problem. California produced 278,000 GWH of electricity in 2020. If total gas used is converted to KWH that is 596,000 GWH of gas used. That doesn’t even count diesel.

That is just production. Delivery is a whole different animal.
But if a lot of it come from from solar located where the car is it should be doable, the government picks up 30% of solar now, I just got mine online and planned to have enough overage to power a car. I'm planning to be buried in my Mustang, but my wife's RAV4 is getting a little long in the tooth, when that goes we will replace it with an EV. Many projections put Tesla at higher revenue than GM or Ford within 3-4 years and Ford looks to be trying to turn themselves into another Tesla. I could be wrong, but there are just a lot of incentives to push things in that direction in my opinion.

SINBUSTER007

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
19 Edge ST, 17 Escape, 12 Boss, 15 GT, 66 V8 Coupe Auto, Kids Boss 302
went to a car show on sat and couple buddies there who own the "dodge" brand (and older than i am) had a good discussion about EV and future cars....
they all agree that EV is going to be the dominate drive for the cars....but they also agreed that we need a transition period and not just a "shove it down your throat" approach as some feel they are doing, in order for infrastructure to catch up and keep up with supply/demand; and as technology keeps progressing we will see more and more of these on the road...
they liked the new EV challenger that Dodge presented but told me they have to get rid of the fake exhaust! its not gas so dont make it sound like gas. most of my buddies are having a hard time keeping up with the technology and i feel that is how the older generation sometimes feels about it also.
i also see in the future that as technology progresses we will not be "driving" our cars, but they will be driving us, as one person mentioned here the rate of younger kids getting license is decreasing....as mass transit builds they will rely more on that.....
so we might see a transition but it might be from a driving standpoint and not primarily the EV vs gas debate we are having now.
2 movies come to mind..... back to the future (obviously) and total recall (the one with Arnold)

and funny thing i have noticed here around my area, is that the ones who own "real" mustangs also have the Mach E parked in their driveway too. so yes its a loyalty branding i think for some, heck i admit im getting a "stable" too with the 3 mustangs i have currently and now just ordered a 2023 Bronco Sport....i must like the "Horse" logo on all my cars....

119 - HP Tuners - 1