• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Twin Turbo S650???

Murfstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Explorer ST, 2021 VW GTI
With the update to the exhaust manifolds which removes the cat as part of the manifold, this provides Ford (and us) the ability to twin turbo this engine without replacing the exhaust manifolds. What are the odds they did this, along with the dual intake, with the plan to produce a Twin Turbo version of the S650?
Sponsored

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Well, if GT500 in 2026 is legit, and Predator isn't making a comeback tour, I would venture to guess that a TT 5.0 or 5.2 is probably likely to happen.

Patio208

GT350 Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500 #L2287
I'm begging for a twin turbo predator!
Wait... I'm not even sure that's PG :cwl:

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
I don't understand why this thread hasn't gotten more attention. I guess people want to bitch and moan about a new dashboard layout, but don't want to discuss the important shit.
Or it's simply because we have hard facts regarding the dashboard but non regarding a potential GT500 successor, needless to say it's engine... ;)

If we see a successor to the GT500 it'll either have 800+hp NA, if they keep the predator alive. If not we'll either see a turbo/TT V8 or a hybrid. My guess would be the "Megazilla" crate engine... It would offer a larger displacement and might even be a hybrid, offering AWD...

OP
OP
Murfstang

Murfstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Explorer ST, 2021 VW GTI
I don't understand why this thread hasn't gotten more attention. I guess people want to bitch and moan about a new dashboard layout, but don't want to discuss the important shit.
I mean there have to be people here that have TT’d their s550’s and know first hand how these changes will make it much easier to mod the Gen 4! The Dark Horse has the connecting rods from the GT500 already, this thing is just begging for boost and it’s not like Ford doesn’t have any experience with Twin Turbo engines. There’s gotta be some insider knowledge waiting to be leaked out!!

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
I mean there have to be people here that have TT’d their s550’s and know first hand how these changes will make it much easier to mod the Gen 4! The Dark Horse has the connecting rods from the GT500 already, this thing is just begging for boost and it’s not like Ford doesn’t have any experience with Twin Turbo engines. There’s gotta be some insider knowledge waiting to be leaked out!!
The interesting part about the DH is that the forged rods point to a higher redline. I'm afraid people will think they can just throw boost at it when the real weak point is the cast pistons when it comes to boost, not the rods - not to mention that the stock 5.0 block really needs sleeves to be reliable under any kind of boost in my opinion.

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Dark Horse
The interesting part about the DH is that the forged rods point to a higher redline. I'm afraid people will think they can just throw boost at it when the real weak point is the cast pistons when it comes to boost, not the rods - not to mention that the stock 5.0 block really needs sleeves to be reliable under any kind of boost in my opinion.
I listened to Ed Krenz on Mecums podcast, and he spoke about higher cylinder pressures for the DH coyote was why they needed the rods. Didn't elaborate much more, but I am thinking higher redline as well. There is a thread in the 5.0 coyote section about this too with links.

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
First, no, the rods and pistons are not the weak point, it's the piston rings that are the biggest liability for boosted coyotes on high compression. To get and keep good compression, the ring gapping doesn't play well with significantly more heat, which eventually makes them expand to the point of bind and then all sorts of destructive things happen. You can add boost and power for a single cold dyno rip or a drag pass, but back to back WOTs and what Ford would consider idiot/user proof for warranty, the rings are the biggest issue. Of course both compression and ring gapping are an easy and cheap adjustment if Ford wanted to boost the Dark Horse later (but rather costly for anyone doing aftermarket).

The Predator isn't sleeved. Plenty of people making good power without sleeving. The new(er) blocks have reinforcing and additional bracing (as well as changes in cooling channel and port design) to aid in stiffness and rigidity. Sleeves are smart if you're going well over 4 digit power, but at the power levels Ford would concern themselves, they're not necessary, they can achieve what they need cheaper by adjusting the block/casting.

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
First, no, the rods and pistons are not the weak point, it's the piston rings that are the biggest liability for boosted coyotes on high compression. To get and keep good compression, the ring gapping doesn't play well with significantly more heat, which eventually makes them expand to the point of bind and then all sorts of destructive things happen. You can add boost and power for a single cold dyno rip or a drag pass, but back to back WOTs and what Ford would consider idiot/user proof for warranty, the rings are the biggest issue. Of course both compression and ring gapping are an easy and cheap adjustment if Ford wanted to boost the Dark Horse later (but rather costly for anyone doing aftermarket).

The Predator isn't sleeved. Plenty of people making good power without sleeving. The new(er) blocks have reinforcing and additional bracing (as well as changes in cooling channel and port design) to aid in stiffness and rigidity. Sleeves are smart if you're going well over 4 digit power, but at the power levels Ford would concern themselves, they're not necessary, they can achieve what they need cheaper by adjusting the block/casting.

I seem to remember cylinder #8 on stock boosted coyotes usually getting too hot and starting to melt the piston. I never thought rods were ever the issue, but thanks for clarifying.

Sleeves are purely a personal preference. I just don't feel comfortable running boost on a stock block, even conservative boost levels.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I seem to remember cylinder #8 on stock boosted coyotes usually getting too hot and starting to melt the piston. I never thought rods were ever the issue, but thanks for clarifying.

Sleeves are purely a personal preference. I just don't feel comfortable running boost on a stock block, even conservative boost levels.
#8 gets a few degrees warming because of the cylinder head coolant routing. THe CHT sensor is located at #4, hence the debate about whether the "cooling" mod balancing line between them solves that issue.

The newer 5.2 blocks (particularly the predator) are pretty stout and made for boost (moderate levels) so on an older coyote block I'd agree, but the newer gen3 and predator 5.2 blocks, we've seen plenty of high hp builds stand up very well. The blocks aren't cracking like they used to.

Like I said, for the aftermarket boost crowd, the biggest liability for the newer gen 12:1 blocks is the rings (specifically the gap). The rest of the motor is setup to take boost pretty well. Especially on E85, which runs cooler and safer.

If Ford was setting up the block to be boosted later, they'd still have to change pistons (for the compression ratio) or rods (or both) cause Ford isn't going to boost anything at 12:1 (and still offer a warranty).

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 Supercharger, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
Because it's not going to happen? There will be no twin turbo s650 from Ford. Unless it's a V6... Which isn't going to happen....
Sponsored