Twin turbo now or wait for warranty to expire

What should I do?

• Total voters

Pierangiolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Manual (sold), 2020 Mustang GT A10
I have a 2020 mustang gt A10 (about 5,000 miles right now) and I am fighting the urge to go twin turbo (I have the money but I don't know if I have the strength to pull the trigger). I fear losing the warranty or something might go wrong where I will need the warranty.

I have about 2 years until the warranty expires.

I saw my friend in his on3 twin turbo A10 running 9s at the track and to say I was in love is an understatement.
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I fear losing the warranty or something might go wrong where I will need the warranty.
Well you just answered your own question. :like:

And just in case your still not sure, answer this question. Can you afford to repair your car if something goes wrong? Up to and including replacing your engine? If you can and are willing to do it, go for it. If not, wait.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Well I'm one day away from finishing my street sleeper install so my vote is boost it and send it!

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I think it would be wise to know how much you owe on the car as well in order to make a decision like this. If you still owe a good chunk, I'd hold off.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I have a 2020 mustang gt A10 (about 5,000 miles right now) and I am fighting the urge to go twin turbo (I have the money but I don't know if I have the strength to pull the trigger). I fear losing the warranty or something might go wrong where I will need the warranty.

I saw my friend in his on3 twin turbo A10 running 9s at the track and to say I was in love is an understatement.
What’s the worst that’s going to happen blown engine? they’re $1800 so it’s not like if something happens it’s going to be a huge amount of money that you will never be able to fix it. If you do it right there’s no reason why the car shouldn’t be just as dependable as it is now I so if you’re worried about the car now then don’t do it but if you think it’s a solid car right now and would last Without boost there’s no reason why It can’t with boost. But if you want to run 9’s sooner or later you’re going to break something but that’s not the cars fault remember that

I would probably borescope the engine and if everything checks out I would do it

Sponsored

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
Picked up a 2020 today, same plan. I started with an intake, and flex tune. I plan on doing the turbos as well but will probably wait at least a year maybe two. Might get suspension, wheels, brakes, etc. while I wait though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pierangiolo

Pierangiolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Manual (sold), 2020 Mustang GT A10
I think it would be wise to know how much you owe on the car as well in order to make a decision like this. If you still owe a good chunk, I'd hold off.
I have 9k left to pay off over the span of 3 years

Bobby57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Convertible

I picked up a 2016 GT in October and immediately purchased Ford's highest extended warranty package. When shortly thereafter started making performance improvements I went with the Ford Performance supercharger so as to not void the warranty. I am very happy with the performance and I have peace of mind that I will not lose my overall investment as a result of an out-of-warranty catastrophe.

I personally would not opt for a turbocharger, anyway, as their lag can compromise power at the apex of a turn, and I am more about ripping through curves than all-out straight-away speed.

I am willing to live with the somewhat decreased fuel mileage that results from the parasitic effect of supercharging, versus turbocharging which has the potential of improving mileage.

You might want to consider the Ford Performance 2018-2020 MUSTANG GT 750HP SUPERCHARGER KIT which Steeda sells for 7,599.99. I have to believe that this would satisfy your need for speed while, at the same time, preserving your Ford base warranty, and having Ford also warranting the supercharger, itself.

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
I picked up a 2016 GT in October and immediately purchased Ford's highest extended warranty package. When shortly thereafter started making performance improvements I went with the Ford Performance supercharger so as to not void the warranty. I am very happy with the performance and I have peace of mind that I will not lose my overall investment as a result of an out-of-warranty catastrophe.

I personally would not opt for a turbocharger, anyway, as their lag can compromise power at the apex of a turn, and I am more about ripping through curves than all-out straight-away speed.

I am willing to live with the somewhat decreased fuel mileage that results from the parasitic effect of supercharging, versus turbocharging which has the potential of improving mileage.

You might want to consider the Ford Performance 2018-2020 MUSTANG GT 750HP SUPERCHARGER KIT which Steeda sells for 7,599.99. I have to believe that this would satisfy your need for speed while, at the same time, preserving your Ford base warranty, and having Ford also warranting the supercharger, itself.
Not turbo versus blower, but don't many road race cars (Porsche, Ferrari, and so on) turboed and not blown?

Vert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whipped 19 GT Premium
Well I'm one day away from finishing my street sleeper install so my vote is boost it and send it!
This! Enjoy it now just in case you don't have the dough when your warranty expires. Even if your warranty gets voided, the still have to cover items not related to the drivetrain.

Sponsored

Bobby57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Not turbo versus blower, but don't many road race cars (Porsche, Ferrari, and so on) turboed and not blown?
The only performance-oriented European street car that I know to be supercharging is Audi.

I can only speculate as to why the manufacturer's you cite would opt for turbocharging vs supercharging their street cars.

- better fuel economy (it really does matter to many, if not for sake of their pocket books then for the sake of minimizing the frequency of filling their tank)
- more compact/flexible placement
- greater top speed (good for the adverts)
- In some cases they are using turbocharging technology across their fleet
- Their engines are already extremely powerful, even without adding forced induction
- TC is arguably more reliable than SC, though I think this notion is based on older technology
- In the case of Porsche and Ferrari, their flat-plane engines are already in need of high revving

Again, these are my speculations, because I haven't a clue as to their thinking

BTW, Formula One cars use electric motor-assisted turbochargers where the motor spools up pending a sufficient build-up of exhaust pressure

Last edited:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
What’s the worst that’s going to happen blown engine? they’re $1800 so it’s not like if something happens it’s going to be a huge amount of money that you will never be able to fix it.
What? Also keep in mind that a modified engine could result in a warranty claim refusal for any drivetrain related matter.

0717C80E-4F74-4B3B-89DA-089C12D59CF1.jpeg

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS

I'd double check that warranty. I believe that its 3 yr/36k miles from the "original in service date". Meaning the warranty doesn't start from the time the supercharger was installed. Most people have no idea how the Ford performance/Roush warranties work.

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
I have a hellion sleeper kit on my car. I'd go boosted right now if I were you, but it certainly wouldn't be an On3 kit.

Bobby57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
I'd double check that warranty. I believe that its 3 yr/36k miles from the "original in service date". Meaning the warranty doesn't start from the time the supercharger was installed. Most people have no idea how the Ford performance/Roush warranties work.
This was a concern of mine so I did verify at the time I purchased the supercharger that, given that my car was beyond its factory warranty when I bought it, day zero is the day I purchased the warranty, "day zero" being the start date of coverage in lieu of the "original in service date".

This was all confirmed for me by both the finance officer at my Ford dealership and someone at FP, so I am relying on their knowledgeability and honesty....

To me, the most important thing is, though, that it does not void the base warranty, regardless of whether that warranty is the original factory or a Ford extended.
Sponsored

Last edited: