Sponsored

Twin turbo exhaust question

AfricanSnowOwl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
For those with twins, how much quieter did your exhaust become? About to install a Hellion low mount kit and wondering about my exhaust. I have the factory active with a resonator delete, and I really like the sound. Are the turbos going to effect the exhaust note in a significant way? I understand it would be very beneficial to upgrade to a 3” catback, but the brands I like all kinda sound like shit in track mode from the videos I’ve watched IMO. Will they be less raspy/annoying with the turbos?
Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Volume wise it should be pretty comparable. Your basically replacing the cats with turbos. The wastegates on the helion kit sound pretty crazy though so they will be louder than any mild exhaust set up when your on the gas hard.

Unless your planning on keeping the boost really low you might want to rethink not going bigger on the exhaust. Turbos want to flow and I noticed a big difference just removing my 2.5" resonator and going full 3". Plus hellion recommends 6-7lbs or less through the factory exhaust.

OP
OP
AfricanSnowOwl

AfricanSnowOwl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Ok cool. I guess I’ll just go ahead and order a 3” catback then!

Stephen@lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt500
The volume should stay around the same however turbos do kind of act like a muffler and its going to change the tone a bit. I've owned several turbo cars including a 2017 Hellion kit car and it was still loud, but tone changed to be a bit deeper.

I think you will highly enjoy the exhaust the way you have it however if you want to bump it up a bit afterwards, Corsa makes a few options that would turn it to the extreme.

Feel free to shoot me a message if you have any questions at all. lethalperformance.com

Sponsored

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
It depends on flow, but I can tell you that if you're rocking a Corsa Extreme system and you toss twins on, it quiets it down CONSIDERABLY and makes it sound better (in my opinion).

A buddy has a pretty wild twin car and he went from the Corsa Extreme to straight pipes/dumped and it's too loud, so he's going back to a cat back system.

I think the Corsa Extreme setup sounds obnoxious and stupid (outside the car) but his setup with twins actually made it sound much better.

OP
OP
AfricanSnowOwl

AfricanSnowOwl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I ended up ordering an active Stainless Works 3” Redline setup w/ h-pipe from one of the site vendors.

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
The sound will completely change.

Also, it is a total fail to run a TT setup through stock exhaust. You'll float the valves at 4 psi boost or thereabouts.

Not a good time.

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
The sound will completely change.

Also, it is a total fail to run a TT setup through stock exhaust. You'll float the valves at 4 psi boost or thereabouts.

Not a good time.
I would invest in some boost actuated cutouts to relieve back pressure.

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
I would invest in some boost actuated cutouts to relieve back pressure.
That solves the valve float issue, but then the car sounds like total ass.

But hey.. to each their own.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
typically with turbos, you want the most free flowing exhaust you can get. i would do something with alot of flow if your running all the way out the back...
Sponsored