Sponsored

Turbosmart eBoost2 RPM Signal

geddys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 GT, Europe edition
Hello.

I have 2016 GT twin turbo setup with eBoost controller and I'm trying to add RPM Signal to controller.
From their papers I can read:
The e-Boost2 is ONLY able to accept an RPM signal in the form of a square wave that is switching between 0V and 3.5-12 volts.

I routed a new wire spliced into PCM PIN: CTRL MOD. - POWERTRAIN # IGNITION COIL ON PLUG ASSEMBLY 1 (COP-A) and plugged that into rpm wire from controller, but controller reads some garbage values.

Don't have oscilloscope to check how signal looks on this wire.

Did anybody managed to make this somehow work ? ( properly reading RPM by eBoost2 controller ).
Sponsored

Dennisn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt
Hello.

I have 2016 GT twin turbo setup with eBoost controller and I'm trying to add RPM Signal to controller.
From their papers I can read:
The e-Boost2 is ONLY able to accept an RPM signal in the form of a square wave that is switching between 0V and 3.5-12 volts.

I routed a new wire spliced into PCM PIN: CTRL MOD. - POWERTRAIN # IGNITION COIL ON PLUG ASSEMBLY 1 (COP-A) and plugged that into rpm wire from controller, but controller reads some garbage values.

Don't have oscilloscope to check how signal looks on this wire.

Did anybody managed to make this somehow work ? ( properly reading RPM by eBoost2 controller ).
Please post up what you wind up doing. Been putting this off for some time now. Thought I heard you can hook it to one of the coil packs as well.

StickShiftyFifty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang pp
Yea from What i understand I dont think we can get and rpm signal for this. But if u figure it out I would be super grateful

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 10R80
OP
OP

geddys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've borrowed oscilloscope and voltage wave on ignition coil looks as in attached image.
Basically voltage stays around 13V, a during spark there is drop to around 6V followed by spike and then returns to normal. It never makes it way to zero V.
So ignition coil is no good for use as RPM signal in eBoost2 as it expects square signal that is half time on zero V, half time above 3.5V

Will try looking elsewere for useful signal that already exists in car. If that fails, I'll try making simple microcontroller that will read RPM data from CANBUS and output RPM square wave.
I'll keep you posted as this turns out to be fun project ;-)
mustang-coil-discharge.jpg

Sponsored

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
OP
OP

geddys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can you use a frequency based signal? Not sure if that's the same as square wave or not. I used the Intake cam position sensor for the RPM input on my Cortex controller.

https://sirhclabs.com/resources/cor...le-specific/ford/cortex-ebc-15-17-mustang.pdf
I think it will not work, as intake cam position sensor has multiple "checkpoint signals" during one revolution of camshaft, while eBoost2 controller expects exacly one signal per revolution.

Im heading into plan B, making my own CAN to RPM signal board.

I've found online https://www.aimshop.com/products/aim-rpm-ecu-motorcycle-coil-adapter-arp03 that probably does that ignition coil wave filtering to produce square wave output, but price for that is way too ridiculus as probably chinese hands made this for less than 1$

OP
OP

geddys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also after some google there might be plan C, which would be making "monostable multivibrator circuit" to convert those voltage spikes from ignition coil into square wave.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Wouldn't it be easier to switch boost controllers? Lol

OP
OP

geddys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sure it is, but I like how this controller looks in vents ;-)
Also this feature is not critical for me, as I live in Poland, Europe and we have total of zero drag strips in whole country so car is for regular daily driving only.

Sponsored

Bullitt69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt TT
Sure it is, but I like how this controller looks in vents ;-)
Also this feature is not critical for me, as I live in Poland, Europe and we have total of zero drag strips in whole country so car is for regular daily driving only.
Can't imagine there are too many twin turbo Mustangs in your neck of the world...

Cool, hope you figure out your issue. :sunglasses:

OP
OP

geddys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can't imagine there are too many twin turbo Mustangs in your neck of the world...
I think there is something like 1000 mustangs (S550) registered country-wide ( 38M ppl country ) per year. With turbo I think less than 5 ;-)
I was actually first customer for our local shop that started making in-house twin turbo kits ( superchargers are more common, but still I think there is less than 30 in total )

If anyone from Europe is interested, video of this setup with contact to shop

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I’m with you. The eBoost belongs in a museum alongside other electronic equipment from the 80’s. There are so many cheaper and better options available today, like the Cortex

OP
OP

geddys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Managed to make a prototype controller to read RPM from CAN and inject those into eBoost2.
As a bonus I made LED inside center vents that changes color depending on RPM ;-)

huntiez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt white diamond pearl six speed pp
I run a eboost on my procharger gate setup love it got boost rolling in at 2100 cause of all the setting on that thing
Sponsored