Sponsored

Turbo Owners Running Cats - Which Brand Holds Up?

GTFORMULA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Grey gt500 pp, recaros, nav
Extreme smelling gas fumes is likely just extremely rich idle and cruise mix. If you have it leaned down it might become livable.
Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Gesi makes two versions, high flow and ultra high flow. I bought the ultra high flow ones that can handle higher temps. They're 300 cell cats. All I can say is read about them and to the OP...do your research. But these are the best ones I could find out there. These aren't the ones offered on Kooks systems I can tell you that.
Do they warranty their product against failure?

CompOrangeFanatic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium /2019 Toyota Camry XSE V6
Do they warranty their product against failure?
I sense your questioning here since your aftermarket cats failed on your boosted set-up. I don't see that they warranty failure on on their website, but if you actually went to the link I posted and read about the company and product, you'll see that these cats were designed for boosted applications. That's the best I've seen out there in the market place and I'm only trying to help out the OP in this thread.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If those cats are so much better then the other cats including kooks green cats, they would most likely have a warranty Against failure. A warranty backs up their superiority claims over other cats. Since they don’t have one as you say, then it’s likely these cats are no better then kooks green cats..do a survey the next time you go to a cars and coffee type car show, ask the boosted guys if they’re running cats. I think you know what most of the answers will be! There are reasons why that most of them don’t run cats...

Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
i would grab a pair of Hellcat cats they have held up well on both of my hellcats and they are supposedly good to EGTs of 1900
Is your hellcat stock? If so, the factory cats are sufficient. If your turn your hell cat up you will burn them up. Ive seen hellcat guys turn their cars up and the cats went south...

revinto7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 shelby-gt 14 camaro SS 1LE
same cats on demon 840 hp !!! on race gas- factory Emissions
warrantee 10 yrs 100k

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
same cats on demon 840 hp !!! on race gas- factory Emissions
warrantee 10 yrs 100k
The calibration is at least as important as the cat design. I bet the demon catalyst overtemp calculation is spot on.

ypena02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Anybody get their odb2 readiness monitors to pass, specifically the rear o2 and catalyst monitors, on a TT setup?

Sponsored

Bmaughan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2015 procharged mustang gt
My understanding is that it's not due to just a rich fuel mixture. Rather just too much in the exhaust stream overwhelming the cats. My cats (high-flow stainless works) began failing at under 800rwhp. I do race my car, so YMMV, but I've seen plenty of cars start to damage even aftermarket cats at the 750rwhp level.

Of course if you have E85 then switching fuels is really the best medicine. Better fuel and significantly lower fumes.
Here’s what I’ve come to learn:
There are rare circumstances or post ignition that can blow up cats but for the most part it’s quite the opposite. The leaner the mixture the hotter the egt =cat failure. And in fact, the ecu will begin adding more fuel if the cat temps start getting out of control. Another thing that can cause premature cat failure is no cool down time. For instance, you do a dyno pull and shut the engine off right away... you’ll start to see cat temps climb as they become exposed to oxygen.
You may already know this but I figured it was worth sharing...

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here’s what I’ve come to learn:
There are rare circumstances or post ignition that can blow up cats but for the most part it’s quite the opposite. The leaner the mixture the hotter the egt =cat failure. And in fact, the ecu will begin adding more fuel if the cat temps start getting out of control. Another thing that can cause premature cat failure is no cool down time. For instance, you do a dyno pull and shut the engine off right away... you’ll start to see cat temps climb as they become exposed to oxygen.
You may already know this but I figured it was worth sharing...
Why go through all the hassle of worrying about whether your cats can stand the heat boost makes. Its easier to just remove them and make more power. If you need them for emissions, make a quick disconnect set up then put them on for emissions & remove them after you pass. If your worried about the stink then wear your covid-19 mask while your driving..my car doesn’t stink that much at all, I barely notice it.

Bmaughan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2015 procharged mustang gt
Why go through all the hassle of worrying about whether your cats can stand the heat boost makes. Its easier to just remove them and make more power. If you need them for emissions, make a quick disconnect set up then put them on for emissions & remove them after you pass. If your worried about the stink then wear your covid-19 mask while your driving..my car doesn’t stink that much at all, I barely notice it.
For me I decided to go with cats for two reasons mainly. First, the noise. With just a catback, the car was already a little too loud/droning for me, so I knew that adding lth’s and taking out cats was gonna be way too much.
And second, no judgment on anyone else at all but for me personally...knowingly breaking the law was hard for me to be ok with. Again, that’s just me...

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
For me I decided to go with cats for two reasons mainly. First, the noise. With just a cat-back, the car was already a little too loud/droning for me, so I knew that adding lth’s and taking out cats was gonna be way too much.
And second, no judgment on anyone else at all but for me personally...knowingly breaking the law was hard for me to be ok with. Again, that’s just me...
I understand what your saying, the car is loud without cats. I solved that by adding kooks bullet mufflers to my ARH exhaust system. As far as breaking the law goes, every time you go wot you're breaking the law, it comes with the territory of owning a boosted vehicle.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
I have a personal rule....don’t break the law while you’re also breaking the law. ;)
Sponsored