Turbo 4 Camaro vs V6 Mustang

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
So while browsing the camaro6 site I came across this article....

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=443906

It looks as though Chevy is finally getting their turbo 4 ready for market. What was interesting though is that during the track event Chevy brought out an entry level 2016 V6 mustang for the reviewers to drive (as well as a 5th gen Camaro V6) No surprise that in the article above they do not rate the mustang to highly.... Comments like this get me though "Then, we would drive Ford’s entry level in this segment: the V6 Mustang. After that experience [several minutes of my life I’ll never get back], we would then drive a 6th gen turbo four automatic, followed by the manual model." and this one "The Mustang felt quicker out of the gate than the last generation Camaro. And the throttle felt a bit more responsive…I assume it’s an aggressive throttle progression map; lending a feeling of “speed” to the driver. But that’s about as good as it gets…" The reviewer goes on to talk about how the mustang couldn't handle turns well and about hood flutter.

No suprise that they rate the turbo 4 very highly. I have no doubt that the turbo 4 Camaro handles the track better then the mustang. It's lighter, better transmission, and better suspension. The thing that they are forgetting though, and the thing that will likely keep many from purchasing this car, is that it is expensive.... That entry level V6 mustang likely comes in at around $22k after incentives where as that turbo 4 is around $28k. To the average buyer that these models are geared towards the mustang will certainly win with the $6k price difference. Now take that $6k and spend it on suspension mods, tires, and engine tune and you will have a mustang that can bet that Camaro.

Chevy built a fantastic car, no denying that, but they out-priced 90% of their market by doing so....
Sponsored

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
I feel like the camaro is just about 3-5k too expensive in every trim, and it doesn't help the review was the most biased I've read.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
One person pointed out a 1LT Turbo 4 Mustang with the HD Cooling pack was $29,000..that's kind of crazy.

For 29,000 you can get a V6 M6 051A car, put GT brakes on it, headers, intake, tune, wheels and tires and still have about $500 left over and have a FAR better track day car than a Turbo 4 Camaro that sounds like a buzzing anvil.

It's still too expensive. The bottom of the barrel version is better priced, but if you want it to really have any performance bit's, you're going to need to upgrade it before you even think about heading to a track.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
I feel like the camaro is just about 3-5k too expensive in every trim, and it doesn't help the review was the most biased I've read.
It's Mr Wyndam, he's about as slavishly loyal, bowtie blind and worshiping as they come.

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
The magazines can suck GM off all they want. People aren't buying Camaros for several reasons. Value is very high on the list of reasons. Only the camaro5/camaro6 nitwits are going to run out and spend 3-6 grand more depending on model. For the privelage of owning a Camaro.

bballr4567

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Pontiac GTO
I think the biggest disservice that Ford did to the V6 Mustang is not allowing any options on it. If you want to get the updated radio, leather or basically anything you have to step up to the T4 in the Mustang. So the V6 is a true base car in the Mustang.

With the T4 Camaro you can load it up to your hearts content. Good thing? Who knows.

The buying public usually adds SOME options to cars.

The talk about out pricing the market is way overdone especially this soon. Just look at how many GT and Ecoboost premiums are being bought with the S550. People spend a lot of money on these cars.

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
I think the biggest disservice that Ford did to the V6 Mustang is not allowing any options on it. If you want to get the updated radio, leather or basically anything you have to step up to the T4 in the Mustang. So the V6 is a true base car in the Mustang.

With the T4 Camaro you can load it up to your hearts content. Good thing? Who knows.

The buying public usually adds SOME options to cars.

The talk about out pricing the market is way overdone especially this soon. Just look at how many GT and Ecoboost premiums are being bought with the S550. People spend a lot of money on these cars.
I don't see someone spending $30k on a turbo 4 Camaro with cloth seats when that same amount will buy a premium Mustang turbo 4 that has 35 more hp. (Assuming no brand loyalty)

The price difference is real and will play a role in the success of these two cars. Likewise I feel the "to early" argument is being overplayed. The Mustang saw a massive spike in sales when the S550 hit. No such spike for the 6g Camaro. Again, I am not saying the Camaro is a bad car or poorly engineered. It is an excellent track car from what we have seen. The car is just to overpriced for its market.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
I like how they think it's going to be a smash hit with the drift racers and "The Fast and the Furious Crowd"

Right..because amateur drift racers are going to gravitate towards a $30,000 car...no..they're going to fight over the remaining un-f**ked with 240's and used FR-S/BRZ's.

I think they're grossly overestimating the market appeal for the Camaro.

bballr4567

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Pontiac GTO
I don't see someone spending $30k on a turbo 4 Camaro with cloth seats when that same amount will buy a premium Mustang turbo 4 that has 35 more hp. (Assuming no brand loyalty)

The price difference is real and will play a role in the success of these two cars. Likewise I feel the "to early" argument is being overplayed. The Mustang saw a massive spike in sales when the S550 hit. No such spike for the 6g Camaro. Again, I am not saying the Camaro is a bad car or poorly engineered. It is an excellent track car from what we have seen. The car is just to overpriced for its market.
Mustang also had a HUGE pent up demand. It was on S197 for almost a decade. It gave a true reason to upgrade to a new Mustang. No denying that fact. None.

Camaro6 wont have a huge upswing yet it will climb into the upper 8k rather easily.

If you are honestly saying that comparing the sales numbers when the Camaro doesn't even have its base model out is a fair comparison, go for it. Its wrong but go for it.

What market? Have you been checking out what has actually been selling? Look at how many 2014 Mustang GTs were a premium. People pay a LOT for these cars now.

Also, the price difference between the 2LT Camaro (with the T4) and the Ecoboost Premium is only $250 with the manual cars and $550 with the autos. Not some huge amount there that many try to say there is.

Sponsored

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Mustang also had a HUGE pent up demand. It was on S197 for almost a decade. It gave a true reason to upgrade to a new Mustang. No denying that fact. None.

Camaro6 wont have a huge upswing yet it will climb into the upper 8k rather easily.

If you are honestly saying that comparing the sales numbers when the Camaro doesn't even have its base model out is a fair comparison, go for it. Its wrong but go for it.

What market? Have you been checking out what has actually been selling? Look at how many 2014 Mustang GTs were a premium. People pay a LOT for these cars now.

Also, the price difference between the 2LT Camaro (with the T4) and the Ecoboost Premium is only $250 with the manual cars and $550 with the autos. Not some huge amount there that many try to say there is.
With no options, that's true.

However, when you add in the RS+Coolers/Brakes to the Camaro and the Performance Pack to the EB..the difference between the two jumps to $1,000.

Base EB PP Auto is about $900 less than a Camaro 1LT RS Auto with the Coolers/Brakes. With manuals it's about $650 less

bballr4567

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Pontiac GTO
With no options, that's true.

However, when you add in the RS+Coolers/Brakes to the Camaro and the Performance Pack to the EB..the difference between the two jumps to $1,000.

Base EB PP Auto is about $900 less than a Camaro 1LT RS Auto with the Coolers/Brakes. With manuals it's about $650 less
Which, in the grand scheme of things is nothing. We can all pretty much agree upon that.

GM did it very strange with the Camaro this time about. There is no "base" car. You can load up the T4, you can load up the V6 and you can load up the SS. They are 3 completely different flavors for different drivers.

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)

The mustang was redesigned inside and out in 2010 and received the 5.0/3.7 in 2011. 2013 saw a refreshed front facia. 2010/2011 also brought about many improvements to the handling over previous s197 cars. So it was hardly a decade old car.

As for market, I actually have been watching which mustangs sell the most in my area. The most I see are base model V6s and EBs. Sub $30k cars....

You are looking at this from an enthusiast stand point. Need to take a step back and look at it from a general consumer standpoint. Almost $30k for a base model 4 cylinder when you can buy a base model mustang V8 for around $1000-$2000 more depending on where you look.

Last edited:

bballr4567

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Pontiac GTO
The mustang was redesigned inside and out in 2010 and received the 5.0/3.7 in 2011. 2013 saw a refreshed front facia. 2010/2011 also brought about many improvements to the handling over previous s197 cars. So it was hardly a decade old car.

As for market, I actually have been watching which mustangs sell the most in my area. The most I see are base model V6s and EBs. Sub $30k cars....

You are looking at this from an enthusiast stand point. Need to take a step back and look at it from a general consumer standpoint. Almost $30k for a base model 4 cylinder when you can buy a base model mustang V8 for around $1000-$2000 more depending on where you look.
It was still riding on S197. It WAS a decade old car.

No one is comparing a T4 car to a V8. There are different cars. Completely. No one looking at a loaded T4 is going to go, oh, dang, I can get a V8 with less options but man, its a V8!

No comment on the base level T4 from the Mustang side that is only $150-$450 cheaper? You can get a base V8 Mustang for $1-2k over a T4 Mustang. Where is the general consumer falling on that?

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
It was still riding on S197. It WAS a decade old car.

No one is comparing a T4 car to a V8. There are different cars. Completely. No one looking at a loaded T4 is going to go, oh, dang, I can get a V8 with less options but man, its a V8!

No comment on the base level T4 from the Mustang side that is only $150-$450 cheaper? You can get a base V8 Mustang for $1-2k over a T4 Mustang. Where is the general consumer falling on that?
No they are not. But a general person looking for a MUSCLE car will. The idea that a muscle car has to have a V8 is a more general consumer view. And with the camaros 1ss starting at $37k that is expensive to a general consumer.

But we are getting off topic.... The point of this thread was to point out that you can't expect a car that costs $4-6k less then its competitor to perform the same. And also to state that the $27-28k starting price for a base turbo 4 automatic is expensive. I know.... I looked into getting one and decided against it because of that. Great car but very expensive for what it is.
Sponsored