Sponsored

Tuning from COBB/Livernois/BAMA/WMS and Co.

Papaya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Holger
Vehicle(s)
F150 2.7 EcoBoost
Hello together.

I did checkout some prices on the new tunes for the EcoBoost Mustang.
Also that it would be nice to have some extra RWHP/Torque - $660 to 800 (CAD) is NOT the money worth. Everyone of the tuning companies is posting "FREE shipping" but they forgetting to but right on the "Free shipping" the only the "in 48 States only".

Now in the 21st Century with all the "Smart- and iPhones" I was thinking that tuning companies would go with modern times and offer APP's. Really nobody needs an accessport V1-3 / BAMA FX4 or what ever they call this gadgets to flash an ECU. SCT is offering a Bluetooth connector and an APP but still asks $532 (USD) for the ELM327 Bluetooth connector what is nothing different to:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/OBDII-ELM327...Parts_Accessories&hash=item43d12951c8&vxp=mtr

only the price tag is $520 higher for the SCT sticker:

http://www.sctflash.com/products.php?PID=65&VID=

I do read my codes out with TORQUE PRO and can delete them too. I can also get gauges for every sensor in my cars. So why do I need a new gadget?

As long as this companies only asking me to buy another electronic gadget to flash an ECU and not going with the time and offering the software only, because most of us have already the "HARDWARE" to do this to an affordable price, I am done.

The COBB with an US price of $500 would cost me around $700 until it is shipped to my house. Sorry! I am not willing to support free "48 States" shipping when customers outside this area are getting to pay much more than usual. Duty fees, shipping plus 10% on top for the lower CAD (I don't mind to pay an extra 50 bucks) - for what? 7 extra HP?? :crazy:

Offer free shipping for everyone or lower the price on your units and charge EVERYONE the shipping and handling. Shipping from Texas to IL/MT is the same than shipping to ON or AB. Free shipping is only offered because it is already included in the unit price. Shipping this units outside the 48 States makes the companies actually more profit.

I am sure that a lot of members don't agree because they get free shipping.
But why not offer an APP for $300? Much easier to "ship" and more eco-friendlier than selling another gadget!

What do you think? It would also be nice to get some honest answers from COBB and Co. Why is your company still in the 19th Century?

I mean it is nice to have all your videos here and on YOUTUBE. But why do we need another gadget? Nobody is explaining that. And yes. I know. Companies like to make money. So I would like to get an information why no APP's?

Thanks for your reply anyway!
Sponsored

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
I appriciate what you are saying. But you hit the nail on the head when you said companies want to make money. I think one thing you are not considering is software piracy. With the hand held tuners the device gets locked to the vehicle and can not be used on any other vehicle unless you return the first vehicle to stock.

Might be dificult to implement in software only. But if you think there's a market sounds like you found yourself a business opportunity.

COBB Tuning

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AT EcoBoost, MT PP EcoBoost
The V3 Accessport is designed to be mounted in the cabin and used for daily monitoring of ECU parameters like boost, timing correction, OAR, and more to make sure your car is running like it should. In our experience, buttons are easier to use than a touch screen in a situation like this as well. I've seen some touch screen devices that are touch screen just for the sake of being touch screen. Also, phone hardware and operating systems change pretty frequently. Therefore, it would require a much larger engineering effort to support multiple operating systems, multiple screen sizes, and various limitations in hardware/OS. And finally, there's flashing your ECU via Bluetooth: as it turns out, user confusion increases exponentially with wireless technology. We have a full time dedicated support staff that I'm confident could handle the workload, but it's a little bit scary to think about!

In my daily driver (2014 Fiesta ST), I have the V3 mounted on the A-pillar and I usually just leave my phone in my pocket because the bluetooth automatically connects when I get in the car. Also, when I do trackdays, it is easier to have the AP mounted in the car for monitoring and then I use TrackAddict on my phone for lap times. When I was testing prototype versions of the V3, I couldn't believe how much I loved the larger screen and multiple monitors: it was honestly a huge and positive change from my old V2!

Ian

JJ@WMS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Mustang
I'll put our hat in the ring for not only tuning but for the SCT products we use for our tuning.

The nice thing about the new X4 is that it work and works well plus if you ever do sell the vehicle you can take it back to stock and then use that device for another Ford vehicle. It holds up to 10 custom tunes and has user options enabled on the device. Its also a heck of alot cheaper then most other platforms.

I also suggest calling and talking to the actual tuner for whatever company your interested in dealing with to get a feel for how they not only treat you but how they plan on helping you achieve your goals.

We pride ourselves on taking a one on one approach with our customers and appreciate each and every one of them.

Thank you,

JJ@WMS (President and tuner)

OP
OP
Papaya

Papaya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Holger
Vehicle(s)
F150 2.7 EcoBoost
Thank you all for the answers. I do understand that support is a big part in the tuning world and must be paid too. But again and don't get me wrong. For an "old" guy like me who likes the extra torque on the tunes, not living in the 48 States to pay an extra $200 more to get a gadget I would use one time to get the torque and that's it. Some people who play around all day -yes I can see the use of it going on the weekends on the race track. But what with us "normal" guys. The point with "REAL" buttons in a world with touch screens is a bit "behind" I would say. I did check Ebay and Kijiji. A lot of this tuning gadgets get sold again because the owners do not need them anymore.

Can this used units be used again with a different car?

The point with the extra shipping was not explained. I am sure that shipping across the USA isn't for free. Trucking companies like to get paid too.

Sponsored

TiE2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT Premium, with saddle interior
The point with the extra shipping was not explained. I am sure that shipping across the USA isn't for free. Trucking companies like to get paid too.
http://www.purolatorinternational.com/trade-regulations

this is why it costs extra to ship Internationally. There are also added fees when shipping to Hawaii and Alaska.

My company has a small sales office in Toronto, Any time I need to ship any type of equipment to them (computers, servers, routers ect..) all equipment must be screened by customs. This adds extra fees when shipping. Also keep in mind that Canada also adds THEIR tax, to the sender when shipping to Canada.

Hope this helps.

COBB Tuning

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can this used units be used again with a different car?
Yes! When you install the AP, it ties itself to a specific vehicle. However, you can just use the Uninstall option from the main menu and then use the exact same AP on a different (but supported) vehicle. There is no limit to the number of times you can install or uninstall.

http://www.purolatorinternational.com/trade-regulations

this is why it costs extra to ship Internationally. There are also added fees when shipping to Hawaii and Alaska.

My company has a small sales office in Toronto, Any time I need to ship any type of equipment to them (computers, servers, routers ect..) all equipment must be screened by customs. This adds extra fees when shipping. Also keep in mind that Canada also adds THEIR tax, to the sender when shipping to Canada.

Hope this helps.
TiE is exactly right.

Ian

COBB Tuning

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is probably a no, but if I already own an AP3 for my FoST can I use it with the Ecoboost?
They are currently different part numbers, so it wouldn't work. But give us a call and we can help you out when you get your new EB stang! 866-922-3059

Ian

Sponsored

Jaysuss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboostw/perf pkg
Shipped my V3 for Fiesta ST back to Cobb to have it reprogrammed for Mustang EB-$150. You have to uninstall from present car to start process.