Tunes have made my car crazy!

Vitoblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vito
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0
So I have a 15 Mustang 5.0, I have long tube headers and cat delete with xpipe. I bought the car like this but it had a tune on it when i got it. I ended up needing a new rack and pinion, so the dealership attempted to change the rack and pinion but could not get it to program to the car because the tune that was on the car has them locked out. So I needed to go somewhere and get that tune deleted and retuned.

So I went to this well known place they used a idm tool or something and downloaded my stock file then they tuned that. Since then my different drive modes are not able to be selected nor can I adjust the comfort of the steering. Well yesterday something happened when i was giving it gas my pedal stopped responding when it gets to either a certain spot or speed. I dont know what else to do I think the stock file they put on there was corrupted. Any ides
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
So I have a 15 Mustang 5.0, I have long tube headers and cat delete with xpipe. I bought the car like this but it had a tune on it when i got it. I ended up needing a new rack and pinion, so the dealership attempted to change the rack and pinion but could not get it to program to the car because the tune that was on the car has them locked out. So I needed to go somewhere and get that tune deleted and retuned.

So I went to this well known place they used a idm tool or something and downloaded my stock file then they tuned that. Since then my different drive modes are not able to be selected nor can I adjust the comfort of the steering. Well yesterday something happened when i was giving it gas my pedal stopped responding when it gets to either a certain spot or speed. I dont know what else to do I think the stock file they put on there was corrupted. Any ides
Go to your local dealer and pay them to have a stock tune installed. Otherwise you're just going to keep chasing your tail. Have heard this story a hundred times and the outcome is almost always the same.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Interesting question on this;

I know with canned tunes from Bamma, you get a pre-loaded tune on a hand-held tuner, which saves the factory tune for when it's needed again.

What happens with a "custom tune"? Do they modify the original/OEM tune? Do they save the original/OEM tune or a copy of it?

What happens when you get a "custom tune", and want to return to stock?

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
Interesting question on this;

I know with canned tunes from Bamma, you get a pre-loaded tune on a hand-held tuner, which saves the factory tune for when it's needed again.

What happens with a "custom tune"? Do they modify the original/OEM tune? Do they save the original/OEM tune or a copy of it?

What happens when you get a "custom tune", and want to return to stock?
My Camaro SS had a custom tune that was uploaded with a SCTX4 handheld device. The device saves the stock tune before it uploads the custom one and you just flash back to stock with it at any time. He took my stock tune I emailed to him and modified it I guess so the car sees the original VIN etc when the custom is loaded.

I had them backed up on my PC too. I flashed the car back to stock when I traded it in with no issues. But if I hadn't done that and the new owner wanted to return it to stock at some point it would be a bitch without the device and saved factory tune. The car was tuned for premium only at 94 Octane so anything less put in may have been bad for an unsuspecting new owner.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
My Camaro SS had a custom tune that was uploaded with a SCTX4 handheld device. The device saves the stock tune before it uploads the custom one and you just flash back to stock with it at any time. He took my stock tune I emailed to him and modified it I guess so the car sees the original VIN etc when the custom is loaded.

I had them backed up on my PC too. I flashed the car back to stock when I traded it in with no issues. But if I hadn't done that and the new owner wanted to return it to stock at some point it would be a bitch without the device and saved factory tune.
Yes....that's a canned tune, not a custom tune. It's what I described in my previous post.

I'm talking custom tunes, where there's no hand-held tuner involved, and the person tuning the car plugs their lap-top directly into the OBD port?

Maybe that's not done on Mustangs?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
That's a canned tune, not a custom tune. And that's for a Camaro, not a Mustang.

I'm talking custom tunes, where there's no hand-held tuner involved, and the person tuning the car plugs their lap-top directly into the OBD port?

Maybe that's not done on Mustangs?
Okay to me canned tunes are the ones that come on the devices themselves and are the same for every car they are added to. Mine was custom in the sense it was specific to my car but I see your point I guess. The outcome would be the same I think when trying to return to stock. I assume LUND does something similar to what I described since its not done in a shop with a Dyno. They can be datalogged and changed if need be too. So yes they are custom but I guess that's semantics depending on ones interpretation of custom.

BMAGOO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS, 2016 Explorer Sport, 2015 Ram 1500 Sport, 1968 Firebird
Vehicle Showcase
I never understood why someone would sell or trade in their custom tuned vehicle and not either put it back to the stock tune or just give the tuning device with the vehicle. Pretty ignorant not to !

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Okay to me canned tunes are the ones that come on the devices themselves and are the same for every car they are added to. Mine was custom in the sense it was specific to my car but I see your point I guess. The outcome would be the same I think when trying to return to stock. I assume LUND does something similar to what I described since its not done in a shop with a Dyno. They can be datalogged and changed if need be too.
Hand-held tuner loaded with tune = canned tune.

No hand-held tuner, a PC is plugged directly into the OBD port = custom tune.

At least, that's my definition.

Maybe tuning isn't done via PC plugged directly into the OBD port on Mustangs?

Anyways, the point is that the OP should never have bought the car without access to, and the ability to re-load, the OEM tune.

OP, you need to get ahold of the previous owner and get the tuner with the OEM tune on it.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)

Canned tune open tuner device scroll down to any Mustang matching description of car & load tune that's my definition.....

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
I never understood why someone would sell or trade in their custom tuned vehicle and not either put it back to the stock tune or just give the tuning device with the vehicle. Pretty ignorant not to !
Yeah I debated leaving the tuner in the car but the dealer was concerned about modifications so I figured I'd be opening a can of worms & I returned to stock. Poor SOB that bought has to deal with the Godawful Cylinder Deactivation it came with which was turned off ion the tune. I love that my Coyote came with none of that bullshit :)+

I often thought someone may track me down to find out more on the car and if so I'd just give it to them with the few custom tunes I had for it.

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Canned tune open tuner device scroll down to any Mustang matching description of car & load tune that's my definition.....
Gotcha. I did one of those tunes on my 2005 GT.

I don't think those tuners work on 2011+ Mustangs. I Bama tuned my 2012 and 2016 Mustangs, and the tuning process started with me sending Bama pictures of the ECM so they could see all the numbers on the stickers, then the tune(s) were loaded onto the tuner and it was sent to me.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
Gotcha. I did one of those tunes on my 2005 GT.

I don't think those tuners work on 2011+ Mustangs..
Yeah not sure on that this is my first Mustang but I thought SCT had a version of the tuner for Mustang's too iirc but I don't know what all could be done with it. For GM it could tune trans shifting and shift points pretty much all that really needed changes. And of course DOD off too.

BMAGOO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Anyways, the point is that the OP should never have bought the car without access to, and the ability to re-load, the OEM tune.

OP, you need to get ahold of the previous owner and get the tuner with the OEM tune on it.
I have a remote custom tune and you need a device for that. As for taking your car into an actual shop for a custom dyno tune I really don't know whether or not they just use a laptop to load the tune or not. I would guess if someone is using an E85, flex and a 91/93 tune, they would need a device to switch between them. Otherwise they would have to go back every time they wanted to switch tunes. As for OP, he may not have even known his car had a tune when he bought it. End result though is that he needs to either get a hold of previous owner like you said, or get his car reflashed at the dealer.

BMAGOO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah not sure on that this is my first Mustang but I thought SCT had a version of the tuner for Mustang's too iirc but I don't know what all could be done with it. For GM it could tune trans shifting and shift points pretty much all that really needed changes. And of course DOD off too.
I have a Diablosport tuner for my Explorer. All I had to do was hook it up to my PC and enter my VIN. It downloaded the tunes for it and then I just plug it into the OBD2 port. It copies the stock tune, then I can load up whatever canned tune I want. I can return to stock whenever I want. I would guess you can do that with a Mustang as well with Diablosport and SCT.

Mdtaylorjr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
The devices come with canned tunes which are non aggressive low grade tunes for stock cars. When we make mods we have to send off for custom tune files which we download to the device and then upload to the vehicle using the device. Just because you load it from a handheld does not make it a canned tube. It's a remote custom tune done with data logging and email. Which typically drive better because the data logs show alot more than just tuning for a dyno graph and max power.
Sponsored